Best Director – Guillermo del Toro, The Shape of Water
    Best Actress – Frances McDormand, Three Billboards
    Best Supporting Actress – Allison Janney, I, Tonya
    Best Actor – Gary Oldman, Darkest Hour
    Best Supporting Actor – Richard Jenkins, The Shape of Water

Best Screenplay – Jordan Peele, Get Out
    Best Animated Feature – Coco
    Best Cinematography – Roger Deakins, Blade Runner 2049
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

hello
    I liked Three Billboards and loved Frances McDormand's performance.

I didn't care for Dunkirk, as the film did a lousy job of conveying the shear size and scope of the rescue operation. All I saw were a dozen or so fishing boats rescuing several hundred soldiers. I never got the sense of several hundred thousand men present on the stretch of beach.

I watched them on the Firestick on tv the other night. Perhaps Dunkirk would have been better on a big screen.
    SurlySteamrollerLitespeedClassicBianchiPista
    DeanColonelSurlyLongHaulTruckerKonaKu
    LitespeedFirenzeCinelliOlympic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    I predict that Meryl Streep will win the Meryl Streep Award, which was formerly known as Best Actress. They figured every time she's in a movie she wins the award so they may as well name it after her.
    Well, not quite every time. She only has 3 wins, from her 21 nominations (she's appeared in something like 70 films.) But, yeah, she wins a lot of awards.

I don't think she'll win this time. She was very good in "The Post," but McDormand in "Three Billboards" was really amazing.
    Have you ever been to Electric Ladyland?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
    I didn't care for Dunkirk, as the film did a lousy job of conveying the shear size and scope of the rescue operation. All I saw were a dozen or so fishing boats rescuing several hundred soldiers. I never got the sense of several hundred thousand men present on the stretch of beach.

I watched them on the Firestick on tv the other night. Perhaps Dunkirk would have been better on a big screen.
    my feelings as well...kept waiting to be overwhelmed by the rescue effort, but it never happened.

endured watching Darkest Hour this week. gah, incredibly slow and not overly interesting. spoiler alert, England survives the war...
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

usually unusual

It wasn't. Your complaint about its lack of scope/spectacle was, if anything, even more glaringly obvious when seeing it in the movie theater.

I'm kinda amazed at how much hype Dunkirk, and by extension, Chris Nolan films in general, get. 'Overrated' is an overused term, but it sums it up perfectly.

On top of it, Nolan usually manages to fall apart in the third act. Maybe Dunkirk is hyped because it was the rare Nolan film where that didn't happen, its flaws elsewhere notwithstanding.

Last edited by SystemShock; 03-02-2018 at 12:57 PM.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

hello
    I don't understand some of these films up for BP
    Last night I watched GET OUT. So, this white chick brings her black boyfriend home to meet her parents and these strange things start happening.
    I actually enjoyed the movie but it was far from BP material....

usually unusual
    I don't understand some of these films up for BP
    Last night I watched GET OUT. So, this white chick brings her black boyfriend home to meet her parents and these strange things start happening.
    I actually enjoyed the movie but it was far from BP material....
    Well, aside from it being a pretty interesting and original horror film, think about it from the POV of a black person in America.

Think of the cultural moment we were in when it was released (and still are in today), with unarmed black men being shot fairly regularly by white police officers. Cultural paranoia unavoidably sets in. The film explores that.

I dunno, man... I guess they could do a Hillbilly Elegy film and a black person or upper middle-class yuppie might go, "I don't get it." And that would be absolutely valid, but also, yeah, not getting it too, at the same time.

Proud luddite
    I predict that Harvey Weinstein will not be presented with the Lifetime Achievement Award this year.

usually unusual
    I predict that Harvey Weinstein will not be presented with the Lifetime Achievement Award this year.
    Yup. Besides, the awards are getting a bit crowded, what with the newly-created Best Escape from Harvey Weinstein's Office and/or Hotel Room category.

(Who's nominated? Everybody.)

hello
    Trying to watch as many BP nominated films this week on the tube....
    Watched Phantom Thread last night. This film should have been nominated for having the most annoying soundtrack. The background music throughout the movie was just horrible. Film itself was blahh.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -

usually unusual
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock(predictions):
    Best Picture – The Shape of Water
    Best Director – Guillermo del Toro, The Shape of Water
    Best Actress – Frances McDormand, Three Billboards
    Best Supporting Actress – Allison Janney, I, Tonya
    Best Actor – Gary Oldman, Darkest Hour
    Best Supporting Actor – Richard Jenkins, The Shape of Water

Best Screenplay – Jordan Peele, Get Out
    Best Animated Feature – Coco
    Best Cinematography – Roger Deakins, Blade Runner 2049
    Got 8 outta 9. What do I win? A Lownge Excellence-in-Moreon-ness Award™?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    But there are 24 categories.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    I'm out-pressed.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Other than Icarus (which I thought was great) and the new blade runner and Coco, I hadn't seen any of the movies. I generally like Del Toro movies but I haven't gotten around to watching this latest one (Pan's Labyrinth was excellent). Well I guess I saw Dunkirk too but wasn't all that impressed with it and I typically like Nolan's work. I've been wanting to watch Get out but haven't gotten around to it, same with Shape of water. That other stuff, even stuff that won, doesn't really grab my attention as things I would want to watch regardless of how great the performances were.

I only caught the end of the awards as I had been watching Coco with my son and remembered they were on when we finished and flipped it on. I used to like watching these as a kid but have better things to do with my time now than sit and watch the whole awards ceremony. Easier to get "highlights" on youtube anyways and skip all the time wasting of people walking up and walking away and commercials etc.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well, aside from it being a pretty interesting and original horror film, think about it from the POV of a black person in America.

Think of the cultural moment we were in when it was released (and still are in today), with unarmed black men being shot fairly regularly by white police officers. Cultural paranoia unavoidably sets in. The film explores that.

I dunno, man... I guess they could do a Hillbilly Elegy film and a black person or upper middle-class yuppie might go, "I don't get it." And that would be absolutely valid, but also, yeah, not getting it too, at the same time.
    Not speaking as any sort of expert, but I think it attempts to capture the existential dread within black society that in order to be accepted within society as a whole, they have to trade their identities for a white identity. Moreover, this mandatory cultural assimilation primarily serves the interests of white society. The film also emphasizes that this happens even- and perhaps especially- within a white society that proclaims itself as non-racist, multicultural, and accepting of different identities.

usually unusual
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    I'm out-pressed.
    Is there a pill for that?

Devoid of all flim-flam
    What nealric says... It didn't hurt that the movie was witty as hell, and acted to a "t."
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

usually unusual
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    But there are 24 categories.
    Isn't the dirty little secret of the AAs that no one cares about most of the categories?

I remember an old SNL skit where Bill Murray or Belushi or someone was a film critic, and he had a whiteboard full of magnets with the names of all the categories on it.

It looked like was going to talk about all the nominees in all the categories, but then he goes, "Ehh, who cares about all this crap!", and wipes the board clean of everything except the Big Six (Picture, Director, Actor, Actress, Sup. Actor, Sup. Actress).

Totally not fair to all the key ppl who help out (filmmaking is indeed a 'team sport'), but it's definitely how a lot of ppl think about it.

usually unusual
    Quote Originally Posted by taodemon View Post
    I've been wanting to watch Get Out but haven't gotten around to it, same with Shape of Water.
    I highly recommend both movies. You think about both of 'em well after they're over.

I used to like watching these as a kid but I have better things to do with my time now than sit and watch the whole awards ceremony. Easier to get "highlights" on youtube anyways and skip all the time-wasting of people walking up and walking away and commercials etc.
    The current state of the AAs is, for me anyway, pretty annoying to watch. The show is allegedly all about honoring the best of the best, the ppl who create real movie magic and entertain us year-in and year-out, yet all that gets drowned out somehow.

The awards do a pretty good job of presenting Hollywood 'spectacle' and keeping you entertained, yes, but... somehow, it's kind of galling to see a pair of only semi-funny presenters freely quip back and forth for a couple of minutes, while some genius in some category who's given his or her life to their profession gets played off by the band during their acceptance speech after like 45 seconds.

Not only does that kinda show some crappy priorities, but it also robs the ceremony of having any real or true emotion to it. It's all just slick and glitzy pap, except for the few times when someone manages to squeeze a quick, heartfelt line in somehow.

I like the unscripted, unpredictability that the show had more often back when. Yes, Sally Field kinda of made a fool of herself when she spouted, "You like me! You really like me!", but that at least was a real moment, y'know?

Let the fooking winners talk, especially in the bigger categories. While perhaps coaching everyone in advance that they don't necessarily have to thank every. single. person. who was involved, in their speech.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Isn't the dirty little secret of the AAs that no one cares about most of the categories?
    Hmm..., it may well be but what if you got 8 outta 24?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    The current state of the AAs is, for me anyway, pretty annoying to watch. The show is allegedly all about honoring the best of the best, the ppl who create real movie magic and entertain us year-in and year-out, yet all that gets drowned out somehow.
    It's more about fashion and how these rich people look. Getting there must be half the fun.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Not to bring up my extreme age again, but the Academy Awards and the show have been pretty much the same since I first started watching it in the 1950's. Lots of song and dance numbers. Preening presenters. Everybody dressed as stiffly as possible (except during the mid-seventies/early-eighties, of course, when dressing down was dressing up). Back then, though, when a team of, say, sound editors came on, every damn one of them blathered on endlessly. Thus the all the time-limit folderol.

Nevertheless, I still love the event. I even loved it when, in my twenties and thirties, I spurned H'wd product in favor of obscure foreign films. My mother even got to be in the audience, one year. The father of one of my sister's girlfriends was the editor of Daily Variety. He graciously laid his tix on my mom and her sister.

usually unusual
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    Hmm..., it may well be but what if you got 8 outta 24?
    If not voting/predicting counts as a miss, then aren't you 0 for 24?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    If not voting/predicting counts as a miss, then aren't you 0 for 24?
    I believe that would be 0 for 0.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast