Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    usually unusual

Academy Award Predictions?

It's less than two weeks away. Any picks?

FiveThirtyEight already gave theirs:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...l-predictions/
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I clicked the link just to get up to speed on which segment of the entertainment industry gives/receives Academy Awards.

Other than The Shape of Water, I didn't recognize any of the movie titles. Now, I haven't see The Shape of Water, but I have heard of it. So, yeah, that one gets my vote.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    I got a pile of Academy Award screeners on my living room couch. I haven't broken the shrink wrap on a single one of them. The only nominated films I truly want to see are Shape of Water and Get Out, and of course those are two the powers-that-be haven't sent me.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

Boobies!
    We've been watching the screeners for some--I haven't seen enough to make predictions about awards, but IMO we are four for four with truly good movie-making:

Shape of Water: an alternate universe/love story brilliantly conceived and executed. Anyone who saw Pan's Labyrinth knew that de Toro had the chops--this is anchored in a more accessible fantasy world. Sally Hawkins gives one of the most fearless performances I have seen, and Richard Jenkins (! who you might peg as a second tier guy) shows that if you give a decent actor great material, crazy good performances can result;

I, Tonya: I already commented in System's other thread, but Allison Janey turns in a scenery-chewing performance (with her tongue ever so slightly in her cheek as Mapei says), and Margo Robbie is brilliant as well, making you believe that she is the possessed skater. Probably no awards though for the movie as a whole;

Darkest Hour: Gary Oldman is amazing--not so much Churchill (who he does not resemble so much) as a possessed facsimile who can declaim those fabulous speeches. Lovely turns by Kirstin Scott Thomas as his wife Clemmie, and Lily James (Downton Abbey) as this amanuensis/typist Elizabeth Layton. Location shots include the actual War Rooms (under Whitehall) that tourists can visit... And the film-makers absolutely capture the contingency and confusion of a moment when it could have gone either way--negotiated peace or fight the Nazi threat;

Lady Bird: if this were my directorial debut, I would be over the moon. Lovely coming of age movie--and importantly, of female self-discovery that does not involve 'getting the boy'. Great performances by the actors, but has that Woody Allen/Noah Baumbach tendency, where the main character is such as stand-in for the writer,, you start to feel at times as though you are watching someone mimicking Greta Gerwig, right down to gesture and movement.
    Last edited by paredown; 02-21-2018 at 04:28 AM.
    "A man is judged by the company he keeps, and a company is judged by the men it keeps, and the people of Democratic nations are judged by the type and caliber of officers they elect."
    William J.H. Boetcker

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've actually seen several of them this year, which is unusual for me (I've gotten in the habit of waiting for the video/Netflix release). I very much liked Lady Bird, Three Billboards, The Post, and Dunkirk. I don't have any predictions, but hope Frances McDormand wins best actress, and Dunkirk gets best score and sound editing. The sound design in that film was brilliant, and an important element in making the film so effective.

Edit: Coco for best animated (it's the only one I've seen, but it's terrific)
    Have you ever been to Electric Ladyland?

Seat's not level
    I predict lots of thanking people... and ranting. A few wardrobe disasters and planned malfunctions. Mostly just egos stroking egos.
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

Spring is here... snowflakes are melting.

Seat's not level
    I also predict Harvey won't be getting any awards or recognition this time around.

a real member's member
    and the best on-screen slap goes to ...

Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

usually unusual
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    Mostly just egos stroking egos.
    That's hawt.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

usually unusual
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    The only nominated films I truly want to see are Shape of Water and Get Out, and of course those are two the powers-that-be haven't sent me.
    I highly recommend Get Out, and I'll be seeing The Shape of Water in the next few days, i.e. before the AAs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    I seriously hope Laura Ingraham is there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    That's hawt.
    And probably accurate.

Proud luddite
    It's less than two weeks away. Any picks?

FiveThirtyEight already gave theirs:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...l-predictions/
    The Oscars are rigged. How else could fine films like CHIPS and Geostorm be ignored?

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    The Oscars are rigged. How else could fine films like CHIPS and Geostorm be ignored?
    The Academy(R) is still steamed about Erik Estrada naming his goldfish Oscar(R) back in the day.

Geostorm being left out? That one's still a mystery.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    I'm not sure if I've mentioned this in a previous RBR post, but I've watched the Academy Awards show ever since I was a little kid, back in the 1950's. My mother had walk-on roles in several 1940's films and was in the chorus line in a bunch of '40's musicals. Needless to say, she was a complete movie fan. Me and Sis would watch the show by Mom's side on the couch. Dad would come home from work and make snide remarks.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

Seat's not level
    I think the atmosphere has changed over the years. At least in the middle of the country, it seems it was once a year to see the "Stars" and try and guess what the best of the categories was.

Now with the advent of the endless access to "Hollywood" via the internet and entertainment shows, the allure and glamour disappeared. Between the paparazzi, self-promotion, mudslingers and hype around any and everything a "celebrity" says and does another night of it on TV isn't appealing as it used to be.

Maybe it never was what I thought it was years ago, but now it's just an industry patting itself on the back in front of the world. A self-promotion, marketing ploy for those that like to see themselves and hear themselves talk... Call me not impressed. I'll be tuned out and doing something more interesting... like cleaning a closet in the basement. :-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    ...Dunkirk gets best score and sound editing. The sound design in that film was brilliant, and an important element in making the film so effective.
    hmmm, guess I missed being impressed by that element of Dunkirk.

sadly, as a WWII movie buff, was mostly underwhelmed by the film. wasn't bad, but the abundance of acclaim heaped on it had me expecting something much better.

probably going to rewatch it at some point, will pay closer attention to the sound.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

hello
    Oops....I accidentally lost a couple of the screeners I borrowed from a friend....
    SurlySteamrollerLitespeedClassicBianchiPista
    DeanColonelSurlyLongHaulTruckerKonaKu
    LitespeedFirenzeCinelliOlympic

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    I'm not sure if I've mentioned this in a previous RBR post,
    One, Two, Three with Jimmy in a keen appeal in japanese.

The arts.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -

Sweet Potato Kugel
    We have a lot in common.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -

usually unusual
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei
    The only nominated films I truly want to see are Shape of Water and Get Out, and of course those are two the powers-that-be haven't sent me.
    I highly recommend Get Out, and I'll be seeing The Shape of Water in the next few days, i.e. before the AAs.
    Saw it. It is wonderful.

Probably Best Picture and Best Director-wonderful.

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Best supporting actress - Allison Janney for I, Tonya.

Proud luddite
    I predict that Meryl Streep will win the Meryl Streep Award, which was formerly known as Best Actress. They figured every time she's in a movie she wins the award so they may as well name it after her.

usually unusual
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    I predict that Meryl Streep will win the Meryl Streep Award, which was formerly known as Best Actress.

They figured every time she's in a movie she wins the award so they may as well name it after her.
    I suspect the use of performance-enhancing drugs in her case.

The Academy should look into it.

usually unusual
    Quote Originally Posted by il sogno View Post
    Best supporting actress - Allison Janney for I, Tonya.
    Yah, I think so too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast