American Doll Store Workshop Phenomenon Store
    RoadBikeReview Member

American Doll Store Workshop Phenomenon Store

Friend was in town with her family in tow: Husband, 10 year old daughter and 15 year old son. Took yesterday off to spend time in the city with them.

Among other things, they had to visit this doll store. I've heard about it, and was curious to see what all the fuss is about. Kinda like Build-A-Bear meets Cabbage Patch.

This place is four stories of DOLLS. And billions of accessories. Girls were carrying their dolls around, and there was even a hair salon.....for the dolls. The cafe is hard to get into, usually needs a 3-month advance reservation.

Half the fun was watching the 15 year old suffer through the hour-long process of doll-selection. While I don't relate to the whole thing, I am for not having come up with the idea myself.

waterproof*
    yep... God Bless the free enterprise system.

/ and peace be upon the mommies and the daddies who have to pay for this crap
    * not actually a Rock Star

RoadBikeReview Member
    My friend is thrifty like me. I asked her how many of these dolls her daughter has already, and she said, "This is the third, but I'm not the one buying them, it's my mother!"

There was a couple there who seemed really into it. The woman explained how to wash the dolls' hair with baby shampoo etc.; her husband was like, "Hon! Don't give away all your secrets! Aren't you gonna write a book?" Couldn't tell if he was joking or not.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    For old folks with a sicko sense of humor who are going to be in town sometime in the next couple of months, is it worth a visit?
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

Good news everyone!
    That must be what hell is like.

RoadBikeReview Member
    For old folks with a sicko sense of humor

It's something to see all right. Better if you're not forced into spending money. I felt like I was on another planet without having been assimilated yet.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine
    Friend was in town with her family in tow: Husband, 10 year old daughter and 15 year old son. Took yesterday off to spend time in the city with them.

Among other things, they had to visit this doll store. I've heard about it, and was curious to see what all the fuss is about. Kinda like Build-A-Bear meets Cabbage Patch.

This place is four stories of DOLLS. And billions of accessories. Girls were carrying their dolls around, and there was even a hair salon.....for the dolls. The cafe is hard to get into, usually needs a 3-month advance reservation.

Half the fun was watching the 15 year old suffer through the hour-long process of doll-selection. While I don't relate to the whole thing, I am for not having come up with the idea myself.
    Pleasant Rowland and her Husband bought us a new Arts Center, so keep buying them dolls!

Proud luddite
    Hoo boy, dolls freak me out! I think that ever since I saw the "Talking Tina" Twilight Zone episode when I was a kid, I developed a fear of dolls. My boss has one in her office and it's a big 'un, about 4 feet tall, sitting in a chair and I know that doll wants to kill me when she gets the chance. Freaky, freaky stuff!

No hero that's understood
    Quote Originally Posted by MB1
    For old folks with a sicko sense of humor who are going to be in town sometime in the next couple of months, is it worth a visit?
    I think their are far better ways to humor your sick sense in NYC.

This place is more like 6 year old beauty pageant weird. My sister has taken her daughters, and relayed this too me.

The village has far more to offer than over priced fad dolls.
    Often wrong, never in doubt