Annoying pop-up ads on Android phone
    Russian Troll Farmer

Annoying pop-up ads on Android phone

In just the last couple of months, my Android phone has become plagued with pop-up ads. At first I thought they were from a talking alarm reminder app I had installed (which is where they first appeared), so I deleted that app, but they still kept coming. Not only are they annoying (popping up during my morning commute, so that I have to cancel them to keep being able to use my Waze), but there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to targeting; how on earth could I be in the demographic for both 'Silver Singles' AND be a person to join the US Army??

I've turned off pop-ups in Chrome, as well as following the AdChoices page which supposedly gets you off ad lists, yet they still keep popping up. I know that the Play Store app won't offer any ad blockers, so it looks like I may need to look outside the Google-approved apps.

So, what works, and what will I need to pay?
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    I first smart phone in due Wednseday… appps are evill!!!!

Weed
    There are several free Ad Block apps in Google Play store. I use Ad Block Plus on my PC but I have never had need of one for my Samsung phone.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    I use Blokada, works a peach.

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    In just the last couple of months, my Android phone has become plagued with pop-up ads. At first I thought they were from a talking alarm reminder app I had installed (which is where they first appeared), so I deleted that app, but they still kept coming. Not only are they annoying (popping up during my morning commute, so that I have to cancel them to keep being able to use my Waze), but there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to targeting; how on earth could I be in the demographic for both 'Silver Singles' AND be a person to join the US Army??

I've turned off pop-ups in Chrome, as well as following the AdChoices page which supposedly gets you off ad lists, yet they still keep popping up. I know that the Play Store app won't offer any ad blockers, so it looks like I may need to look outside the Google-approved apps.

So, what works, and what will I need to pay?
    Those pop ups annoy the heck out of me. I don't have a solution. I hope someone here does.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    I just posted one.

https://blokada.org/index.html
    Last edited by rideit; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:58 PM.

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    I'll try it.

Proud luddite
    I for one welcome pop up ads, as well as the looming Russian annexation of the U.S. via social media and election tampering.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    I for one welcome pop up ads, as well as the looming Russian annexation of the U.S. via social media and election tampering.
    I am vith you, Comrade-ski Peter!
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

Master debator.
    Have you tried uninstalling apps until you find the offensive one? If it's that annoying I'd probably reset my phone and only install what I needed again fresh anyway.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    If the app was compromised and installed malware of some sorts, removing the affected apps may not actually remove the malware. It is rare that malware can break out of teh app sandbox (sandboxing basically means the app runs in it's own little space). Also, there are some annoying browser based ones that affect both IOS and Android and are impossible to get rid of without killing the browser and restarting it. Those usually from from ad servers that are compromised or unethical being used by regular sites.

Frog Whisperer
    I am speculating that it is indeed one of the apps, I have android phones and tablets and have NEVER had a pop up add that was not associated with an app. With most android you can delete cache. I would delete go to each suspect app individually and delete cache and memory, then clear operating system cache, shut down and re-start.
    I had installed both the JoAnne Fabrics app and Michaels app. all of the sudden he battery life dropped to 6 hours from 2 days and she had a CONSTANT stream of notifications. I cleared the cache and memory of both apps, then deleted them and re-started and the battery life went back to 2 days immediately
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."