another to be named later. - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    gazing from the shadows
    Penny and the vacuum cleaner.

We told her it was noisy, and cycled it a few times. Told her it was OK. Then ran it for 10 seconds. She did not run. Every other cat I have tried this with has.

10 minutes later, I started on the floor, and she did not run out of the room. Wandered a bit after a while, but came back in and did Penny things while I finished.

She is brave, secure, and trusts us not to lead her wrong. And I am now officially impressed!
    Stout beers under trees, please.

gazing from the shadows
    Sula, acting as both mother and big sister, is teaching things both great and small. First the small. Fine points of technique.

Penny was good at straight line string kills, but lacked on 90 and 180 degree turns. That's a pretty typical shelter deficit, given lots of time in cages. So I was working the string with Penny, giving her some turning targets. Sula appears on the field of string play, executes two left hand turn kills on the string, then leaves the field of string play. Penny proceeds to execute two left hand turn string kills in a row.

The large: implications of three a 3-D world.

Until now, Sula has been both chasing Penny up the cat trees, and letting Penny chase her up. Yesterday, she shifted gears. She ran UP the cat tree fast, the kitten pretty close behind, then Sula did a twisting flip jump down BELOW Penny to land in in perfect position for attack, which she did, then ran off. Sula did this all day, up and down, jump above the kitten then below the kitten. This includes taking the high road at times and heading the kitten off at the pass.

It also involves 10 pounds of claws and fangs speeding past our heads out of nowhere, the only warning being a flash of gray on the floor an instant before the breeze past our ears.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Kitten decided that sleeping past 6:30 AM is not allowed, but as I've been getting up at 6:15 all week, I guess I trained her for that. She jumps on the far end of bed (I open my eyes now and watch) does that little rear butt shake and bee lines for my head, wacks me with one soft paw in the face and runs away.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    Kitten decided that sleeping past 6:30 AM is not allowed, but as I've been getting up at 6:15 all week, I guess I trained her for that. She jumps on the far end of bed (I open my eyes now and watch) does that little rear butt shake and bee lines for my head, wacks me with one soft paw in the face and runs away.
    Someone wants to play with her buddy!

They all know what eye contact means, so if you make it the game is over.

Speaking of play.... some screen caps of fuzzy wand play today:

Come here fuzzy thing!!!!

lrjumpmeow.JPG

Jump!

lrjump1.JPG

Jump higher!

lrjump2.JPG

Mid Air kill victory!!!!!

lrjump3kill.jpg

gazing from the shadows
    Penny is now 4 months old. She is becoming quite a looker, though she is a wide cat. Wide and flat, with a rear end that is currently two sizes bigger than her front.

lrpennysack.jpg

Because of her coloring, she always looks like she has a key light. And, well, you'll see. Out of focus and low res, but you'll see.

Penny gets a face sometimes. Look at the above pic, imagine her left eye half closed. Then imagine she scruntches up her face just a bit on that side, and in the accent of a youth street gang member in a 1930's movie, says "Why I oughtaaaa!"

You do NOT want to be the cause of such a look.

She has the loudest purr, which she now breaks out with abandon.

Sula is still striking.

lrsulaport.JPG

She periodically will ramp things up, speedwise, to the point of Penny frustration... then back it down a bit. For example, tunnel. They play FURIOUS tunnel. But in the following pic, no tunnel has been played. Penny was just kind of loping through, when Sula hit her, full speed and totally with no pre play:

lrtunneltakedown.jpg

Note right leg over fully, 3 legs driving, and penny totally oblivious.

Penny color shifts. She's mostly blue, with gray and some silver markings... on average. But, look at her here:

lrsqsqoff.jpg

She often looks outlined in light.

And, if you look at Sula's rear feet, you will realize they are just starting to move, and there is about to be some stuff going down in that shot!

Stuff goes on a lot.

gazing from the shadows
    So, 5 months.

Penny is 2/3rds the size of Sula, who is 2/3rds the size of Tavi.

But Penny is pretty burly, a little powerhouse! Wide, compact, muscled.

5mopen2.JPG

She has also had a milestone, she did a smart thing that was NOT just an imitation of Sula.

Don't get me wrong, that's a smart strategy. Sula does very well indeed!

So, mouse on string was being played. We have some crumpled paper from packing out, and the mouse was dancing in that. Sula was pouncing it, loudly with great flurry of paper crumpling!!!

Then Penny attacked, but she ran on the side of the paper, stuck out a paw, and snagged the mouse in a (mostly) silent kill.

I was very proud. Sula watched, but likely saw it as flawed, play wise.

Sweet Potato Kugel

This is a magnificent photo. ^^^^
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    This is a magnificent photo. ^^^^
    It has its charms.

BTW, the vet said Penny is, "soft like a bunny". Hard look, soft touch.

gazing from the shadows
    Penelope, in paper.

working2md.JPG

gazing from the shadows
    You may not be aware, but if you look at cats running together from above, it shares a strong resemblance to an overhead shot of cyclist. And sometimes, it looks very much like it, even in detail.

So, new toy for the wand which can best be described as a 4" carrot with eyes. The cats love it for some reason, and Sula and Penny both try to play with it at the same time. Sorry, kill it. They are definitely killing it, not playing with it. At the moment, no other toy will do. And every chance they get, they ask for it.

I was upstairs, and went to go down, both of them started running in front of me, side by side, full speed down the stairs. Sprint argy bargy close to each other. Sula on the inside line, Penny on the outside. As they approach the "final turn" (the landing), Sula drifted her line VERY slightly, then HIP CHECKED Penny right at the start of the turn to throw her off her line. Penny had to slow to avoid crashing into the wall, and Sula raced downstairs to victory.

No, this was not random, this was not a mistake, this was straight up DQ worthy dirty cycling move. But a good one, just enough to serve the purpose, and hopefully avoid the race officials' eyes.

I have not laughed so loud in a long time!

RoadBikeReview Member
    thrilled

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234