Any middle age gamers out there?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Any middle age gamers out there?

52 this year, and I still like gaming on line. This is a seasonal thing for me, and don't do much in the warmer months. I still remember playing Zelda back in the mid 80's and staying up to all hours of the night. The arcades were the place to be weekend nights. All those quarters. I think Defender was my fave. I'm going to dip my foot in some hot water tonight when I play Black Ops 2 online for the first time. There will be a little learning curve for a bit. I got pretty good at Gears of War a few years back. Could never do the shotty thing, when you run by an other player and blow their head off while your still moving
    “Life may not be about your bike, but it sure can help you get through it.”

"Yes, you can call me a slightly opinionated retro grouch."

My only fear in facing death, is that there may not be a bike for me to ride on the other side.

δanned
    I'm not middle aged, but I do game a lot. I just bought BioShock Infinite on Steam for $10 and beat it in two days. It is hands down one of the most engrossing, well-developed games I've played, and my benchmark are games like Deus Ex Human Revolution and Half Life 1&2.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You know, I tried BSI the other day and couldn't get into it. I like the creepiness of the older Bioshocks. Have you played any of the Fallout games yet? Very similar.

Quote Originally Posted by SauronHimself View Post
    I'm not middle aged, but I do game a lot. I just bought BioShock Infinite on Steam for $10 and beat it in two days. It is hands down one of the most engrossing, well-developed games I've played, and my benchmark are games like Deus Ex Human Revolution and Half Life 1&2.

My only fear in facing death, is that there may not be a bike for me to ride on the other side.

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    I game during the winter months, not so much when it's warmer. I'm not particularly good at most of them but I have fun. I tend to mostly play older games that I grab on Steam and Good Old Games. I've been playing some old shooters (Unreal, System Shock 2) and sneakers (Thief, Splinter Cell) just for practice to get back to some degree of competence because there are a couple newer games I want to try where those types of skills come in handy. I recently played through season 1 and the 400 days add-on of the Walking Dead game which was fun. More about decision making than fighting. There's a zombie survival rpg called Project Zomboid that's still in alpha but is pretty fun. It's basically about seeing how long you can forage and survive. Somewhere between day 1 and day 60 (it's random for each game) the water system and electricity goes out adding to the challenge. I even play Minecraft occasionally... I blame that one on the kid but the truth is, it's kinda fun.
    Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

δanned
    Quote Originally Posted by High Gear View Post
    You know, I tried BSI the other day and couldn't get into it. I like the creepiness of the older Bioshocks. Have you played any of the Fallout games yet? Very similar.
    To be fair I haven't played the other BioShock games, so I have no preconceived notions of how those games are "supposed" to operate. I have not played the Fallout series either. I'm currently moving onto starting Skyrim.

BTW, I realized the other day that my life has been one big Skyrim joke since I had my accident in July. "I used to be a great cyclist, but then I took a minivan in the knee."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Man, that blows. How is the knee coming along? I used to be pretty good for a tall rider....even climbing. Then kids came along thirteen years ago, one every three-four years. Got the boy after two girlsGray baking.jpg I'm just happy to get on the bike these days.
    To be fair I haven't played the other BioShock games, so I have no preconceived notions of how those games are "supposed" to operate. I have not played the Fallout series either. I'm currently moving onto starting Skyrim.

BTW, I realized the other day that my life has been one big Skyrim joke since I had my accident in July. "I used to be a great cyclist, but then I took a minivan in the knee."

δanned
    Quote Originally Posted by High Gear View Post
    Man, that blows. How is the knee coming along? I used to be pretty good for a tall rider....even climbing. Then kids came along thirteen years ago, one every three-four years. Got the boy after two girls
    It's better than it was, but now that it gets really cold the pain is aggravated by the temperatures. I also know now when it's going to rain.

What the Hell is going on
    I'll be 51 on Dec. 26. In 2009 I was in the market for a Blu-ray player. At the time a good Blu-ray player was about $250. The salesman said for an extra $50 I could get a PS3 game console with one of the best Blu-ray players built in. Sold. I've been a fan of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare series ever since. To me Call of Duty is more arcade-like. Battlefield, while essentially the same as CoD, is built more for team play.

Still, it's kinda embarrassing to get your butt kicked by a 9yr old (it's funny when they try to trash talk).
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JaeP View Post
    Still, it's kinda embarrassing to get your butt kicked by a 9yr old
    Yes it is. Back in the 90's, I used to play StarCraft quite a bit and thought I'd got pretty good. Then I went online and got completely overrun by the forces of some young kid while I was still trying to gather enough resources to do any serious building. 'Tis humbling.
    - 10ae1203

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well gee that was only a hand full of months ago. I'm sure things will get better. I had lower back surgery twelve years ago, and it took me a good two years to mend to the point of minimal pain while riding. Hope the best for your days on the bike!
    It's better than it was, but now that it gets really cold the pain is aggravated by the temperatures. I also know now when it's going to rain.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    I funded Star Citizen (bought a few ships), fortunately it will be in development for a good while as I'm really putting all my time into riding at the moment.
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/about-the-game

RoadBikeReview Member
    Stunning graphics. 4K resolution! Only for PC though...right? Almost "Haloesque". I'm looking forward to Destiny coming out next September by the original makers of Halo. Cool stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikerp View Post
    I funded Star Citizen (bought a few ships), fortunately it will be in development for a good while as I'm really putting all my time into riding at the moment.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    My first game console was the Atari 2600 way back in the 70's. I've owned many systems since then (Ninetendo Entertainment System, Sega Genesis, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Wii, Xbox 360). Nowadays, I play mostly online MMOs. A lot of them these days are "free to play" which means you can try them out without spending a dime. I've also always been a Star Trek fan, so naturally, I gravitated towards the space battle type MMOs. If you like those type of games, I highly recommend Star Trek Online. It's free to play, RPG, with both space and ground combat. Unlike some of the other 'free' games, you have access to all the content for free. Some of the 'cool' gear costs some money, but none of that is required to play. And if you have time, you can convert in-game currency into real money currency.

About STO | Star Trek Online - Free to Play Sci-Fi MMORPG

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mikerp View Post
    That actually looks pretty awesome.
    - 10ae1203

Master debator.
    Yea, I game quite a bit in the winter, casually all year 'round. Steam weekend sales are evil, I have more games than I'll ever have time to play.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    Yea, I game quite a bit in the winter, casually all year 'round. Steam weekend sales are evil, I have more games than I'll ever have time to play.
    Steam's Christmas sales will be coming soon. That's when they get really nasty.
    - 10ae1203

δanned
    So does anyone care to get their @$$ kicked in CS:S or Team Fortress 2 right now?

RoadBikeReview Member
    So does anyone care to get their @$$ kicked in CS:S or Team Fortress 2 right now?
    I stopped playing last year. Was playing since CS 1.0 (just after beta). I miss it, but CS:GO was the final straw for me, it was awful.

That, plus nursing school got in the way juuuuuust a bit.

lighthouse54.1
    I am a senior citizen and I play Left for Dead on-line. It's the only video game I have and my son bought it for me because I watch all the zombie movies. I watch Walking Dead and I am going to miss Hershal.

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    I'm in my mid fifties and play solo RPGs and turn based wargames. On the PS3 I have Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas and Skyrim. I have all the other Bethesda games on my computer, as well as all the Bioware RPGs. The wargames are computer based and are mainly PBEM. Like the rest of you, the game playing picks up in the winter...

Now I am considering Assassin's Creed 4 for a change of pace...

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by lighthouse54.1 View Post
    I am a senior citizen and I play Left for Dead on-line. It's the only video game I have and my son bought it for me because I watch all the zombie movies. I watch Walking Dead and I am going to miss Hershal.
    Have you seen 7 Days to Die? It's a pretty intense first person zombie survival game. Still in alpha right now and it incorporates the increasingly common gathering and crafting elements but it looks like it's going to develop into one of the good ones. Rust, which is also still in alpha, started out as a zombie survival sandbox but partway in they decided to remove the zombies from the code. So now it's just a PvP sandbox with the added annoyance that, at this point in the development, the characters are all the same anatomically correct dude model and you start out nekkid. So you end up running around looking at a whole lot of swinging schwarzes while people try to gather resources to make clothing, shelter and weapons and those further along kill you and take your stuff. It looked like it had potential initially and it still does if you like a PvP free-for-all but maybe they should have called it Fire Island instead.
    - 10ae1203

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by LWP View Post
    Yes it is. Back in the 90's, I used to play StarCraft quite a bit and thought I'd got pretty good.

Then I went online and got completely overrun by the forces of some young kid while I was still trying to gather enough resources to do any serious building. 'Tis humbling.
    StarCraft (the original) is a simply AWESOME real-time strategy game, one of the best of all time. I used to be into it, might pick it up again someday. You have taste, sir.

As far as your experience with getting trounced online goes, keep in mind the following:

1) There was, disappointingly, a widely-used 'hack' for StarCraft that allowed the player using it to see the entire map. So, they'd know what you were building, and where you were, without scouting you. This greatly sucked for the non-hack-using honest player.

2) (and somewhat related to #1) There are certain 'rush' build-orders that allow you to attack your opponent very early, at the price of slowing your economy. The Zerg '5-pool' rush is the most famous/infamous example... the Zerg player builds a 5th worker, saves up for a spawning pool, then saves up to make 6 zerglings simultaneously.

Thing is, though, if you successfully defend against the rush, the rusher is then at a disadvantage, because they sacrificed making workers (which bring in the resources).

Now, the hack was some sad bullsh*t that unfortunately couldn't be defeated permanently by Blizzard because of the nature of how the game was coded/worked. Ever time a patch was released Blizzard would intentionally 'break' the hack, but within 24-48 hours, a new hack would be out that would work once again. Cat-and-mouse forever, basically. The only real solution was to play with a group of people you knew and trusted.

One bit of hilarity: A good number of people who used the hack were so poor at the game otherwise that they'd STILL lose. Generally you could spot those ppl pretty easily... they'd be the ones cursing you out on the keyboard while disconnecting from the game as you sacked their base.

The other thing, the 'quick rush', was also quite beatable, you just needed the right build order. If I remember correctly, for Terrans that was 'Barracks on 8 (workers), Supply Depot on 9', i.e. get to 8 workers as fast as you can, save for a Barracks, start building it, make your 9th worker ASAP, save for a Supply Depot, build it. Soon as the barracks is done, start making marines alongside your workers, prioritizing marines until you have at least two of 'em.

The upshot was that you'd have a couple of marines placed in the middle of your workers by the time the rush came. That and fighting back with your workers would let you beat the early rush (usually six zerglings).

You also had the option of building a bunker once you had 2 marines... 2 marines in a bunker that's being repaired by a couple of workers is almost impossible to take down via an early rush, unless you're getting hit by multiple players/early-rushers at the same time.

StarCraft was always best 1 on 1 because of this, unless you played on a huge and/or island map, where quick rushes could not be performed.

Sadly, I never played the sequel (StarCraft 2). It's prettier visually, as you'd expect, but whether or not it has the same kind of balance and great mechanics of the original, I dunno. And those are the things that make for a great real-time strategy game, not the looks so much... graphics are the frosting on the cake.

Btw, I used to work in the vid-game industry. Does the geekiness show?
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

Matnlely Dregaend
    I thought this thread would be about picking up chicks...

What are these computer games you speak of?
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

δanned
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSmile View Post
    I thought this thread would be about picking up chicks...

Gamer chicks are the best in relationships. They know how to work a joystick, and you know they're experienced because they hate n00bs.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSmile View Post
    Said the guy posting on an Internet forum.

(Not a slam, it's just that you gotta know when you're reaching. )
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast