any serious "connect" experts here?
    Frog Whisperer

any serious "connect" experts here?

I just imported over 1200 ride files into Garmin connect (exported from SportTracks) and while it worked really well, they are classified generically as activities. I was wondering if anyone knew how I could possibly change the "activity type" preferably as a batch, but i am not even seeing how to do it individually.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Frog Whisperer
    ok I see how to do it individually, but for 1200 ride that is just too much work!

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    After importing from whatever format sporttracks provided, export it from the activities page in CSV, Edit the first field to match the activity you want, then delete everything from the connect page, and reimport the CSV file you just edited.

That might work, I am guessing here, as I have not done it.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    After importing from whatever format sporttracks provided, export it from the activities page in CSV, Edit the first field to match the activity you want, then delete everything from the connect page, and reimport the CSV file you just edited.

for 1200 files? uh....I don't want it that bad!!!!!!!

Frog Whisperer

Editing in connect works too but if it took 30 seconds each, it would take 10 hours.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    Editing in connect works too but if it took 30 seconds each, it would take 10 hours.
    Do a few every time you enter new ride data and it would be a little less painful.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    If you can find someone with strong Excel/Visual Basic skills they could probably write a macro in about twenty minutes to do what you want

Master debator.
    Can you export all of the activities into Excel using the Garmin reports? That should give you the data to re-upload after you edit it. Maybe...
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    Can you export all of the activities into Excel using the Garmin reports? That should give you the data to re-upload after you edit it. Maybe...
    Yes, that is what I told him to do.

Not sure where he is getting 1200 files, he said 1200 rides. That would just be 1200 lines in a single file. The first field is the activity.

Change the first ride in connect to the activity you want, export everything into a single file, highlight the first rides activity field, copy it, select the first cell for the remaining rides, and copy the activity over them. Should take like 2 min, then import the rides back into connect (I would suggest you delete everything in connect first to avoid duplicates)

Frog Whisperer
    Again.... 1200 activities!

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Do a few every time you enter new ride data and it would be a little less painful.
    It takes a couple of minutes just to scroll back to 2015......and the files date back to 2006

Master debator.
    My intention was slightly different. I don't see it now, but you used to be able to run a report for selected dates and activities etc., looks like that is no longer an option? I noticed that in the activities you have to basically scroll down through all of your activities to "select" them to export all of the files in your history. The result is the same, it looks like it can be done.

Yes, that is what I told him to do.

Not sure where he is getting 1200 files, he said 1200 rides. That would just be 1200 lines in a single file. The first field is the activity.

Change the first ride in connect to the activity you want, export everything into a single file, highlight the first rides activity field, copy it, select the first cell for the remaining rides, and copy the activity over them. Should take like 2 min, then import the rides back into connect (I would suggest you delete everything in connect first to avoid duplicates)
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Frog Whisperer
    My intention was slightly different. I don't see it now, but you used to be able to run a report for selected dates and activities etc., looks like that is no longer an option? I noticed that in the activities you have to basically scroll down through all of your activities to "select" them to export all of the files in your history. The result is the same, it looks like it can be done.
    Keeping in mind, I am NOT a computer expert or excel expert. I found a relatively easy way to change them from the app on my tablet. It will still take time but I don't risk breaking anything!

Frog Whisperer
    ok, so I d/l the csv file, edited it (replace with is my new best friend) NOW, if I upload it to Connect will it overwrite the old stuff or append it? To avoid all risk, am I better off creating NEW connect account and starting clean??????

edit:
    Nope, started with new account, upload error, changed it to a .xls, still upload error
    Last edited by Touch0Gray; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:09 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    ok, so I d/l the csv file, edited it (replace with is my new best friend) NOW, if I upload it to Connect will it overwrite the old stuff or append it? To avoid all risk, am I better off creating NEW connect account and starting clean??????
    Try saving the file in Excel 1997 - 2003 format (under save as under the "Save type as") Just changing the file name will not change the type, as the newer v

edit:
    Nope, started with new account, upload error, changed it to a .xls, still upload error
    You need to save the file as CSV UTF-8 format, not excel. When you open the CSV, excel converts it to the excel format. You cannot just save it, you have to save it as CSV. Connect won't import excel formats.

Frog Whisperer
    You need to save the file as CSV UTF-8 format, not excel. When you open the CSV, excel converts it to the excel format. You cannot just save it, you have to save it as CSV. Connect won't import excel formats.
    All I have is office 2000, I saved as CSV.. Can I do it with open office?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I back up most of my data with ink and paper. I've got weekly planners back to 2002.
    Too old to ride plastic

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    I back up most of my data with ink and paper. I've got weekly planners back to 2002.
    apparently your desk doesn't look like mine!

RoadBikeReview Member
    apparently your desk doesn't look like mine!
    Cluttered?
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    All I have is office 2000, I saved as CSV.. Can I do it with open office?
    Probably.. you could do it with notepad too, CSV is just a plane text file with fields separated by a comma (Comma Separated Values), any text editor from notepad, VI, emac to Openoffice/MS Office of any version can create them.

I'm curious why it is getting an error.. It should work... in theory... I'll have to try it out when I get the chance.. I'm not too attached to my activities, so if I screw something up I'll just delete them heh.

Frog Whisperer
    Probably.. you could do it with notepad too, CSV is just a plane text file with fields separated by a comma (Comma Separated Values), any text editor from notepad, VI, emac to Openoffice/MS Office of any version can create them.

I'm curious why it is getting an error.. It should work... in theory... I'll have to try it out when I get the chance.. I'm not too attached to my activities, so if I screw something up I'll just delete them heh.
    it specifies that the cvs or xls files are for fitbit data, there may be a specific "signature" within the file to show that?

edit: I tried to save as in notepad which allowed me to specify UT-8 (or whatever that was) still no go

Frog Whisperer
    desk is too small or life is too big......not sure which!

Frog Whisperer
    ljvb....I appreciate the assistance but I did figure out a fairly painless way to do it via the android app, I can do a year in about 15 minutes. so I am done all the way back to 2011 now. 5 more years

actually, it wont let me upload the file I downloaded without error!

Frog Whisperer
    I got all my files edited, but I would still love to know why I can't upload the file I downloaded from them!