Anybody streaming music?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Devoid of all flim-flam

Anybody streaming music?

I just got the hardware to stream music through my stereo system. So far, I've pretty much stuck to Tidal and Qobuz. I have to say I like Qobuz much better. Easier to navigate. Significantly better sound. Anybody do it? What do you like? Any aspect drive you nuts?
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    I just got the hardware to stream music through my stereo system. So far, I've pretty much stuck to Tidal and Qobuz. I have to say I like Qobuz much better. Easier to navigate. Significantly better sound. Anybody do it? What do you like? Any aspect drive you nuts?
    I often stream Pandora when I am on the trainer. I like that it "learns" what I like

Frog Whisperer
    i use spotify.......I am at the point now where the weakest link in my sound system is my ears....
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Spotify here. Like ToG, not much left in my ears after 40+ years of woodworking/metalworking.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    I have multiple internet stations saved to my free TuneIn account. TuneIn account configured on Bluesound Nodes. Aside from easy access to music I can' easily get, given that I don't have any digital FM tuners, it's the only way I can get my local sub stations.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Youtube mostly.

I generally listen to jazz and not really into 'songs' per se but full albums and live performances. Youtube is good for searching and playing if that's what you want. Sound quality is hit or miss but mostly very good. With albums it's almost always very good but every now and then it's directly from someone's old vinyl complete with scratches. Concert recordings are generally good too but more poor quality with those.
    I could do without a few seconds of an add and clicking "skip this add' at the start of most albums and performances but I wouldn't say it drives me nuts. Not a big deal.
    I would assume it's the same for rock/pop/whatever albums and live performances but haven't really gotten into that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I just got the hardware to stream music through my stereo system.
    I'd be interested if you'd care to comment on what you did/bought to do that. I'm pretty much an idiot with this stuff but from what I understand some receivers are pretty much ready to go while other more old school one's need a special 'thing' to steam wireless into them.

I run a cable out of the headphone jack on my laptop to a pair of RCA jacks on my old school receiver. It works really well and of course was cheap to set up but I wouldn't mind having it wireless for more mobility if that didn't break the bank.

Master debator.
    I stream Sirius XM through my PC or phone, the phone using BT. Obviously the sound quality is only okay. I mainly have Sirius for the news channels etc. when I am driving.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Cat 6
    Pandora at home. Spotify on the Garmin.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    I'd be interested if you'd care to comment on what you did/bought to do that. I'm pretty much an idiot with this stuff but from what I understand some receivers are pretty much ready to go while other more old school one's need a special 'thing' to steam wireless into them.

I run a cable out of the headphone jack on my laptop to a pair of RCA jacks on my old school receiver. It works really well and of course was cheap to set up but I wouldn't mind having it wireless for more mobility if that didn't break the bank.
    Jay, assuming you have a phone or tablet with Bluetooth and whatever streaming app you can buy a Bluetooth dongle that can output to an RCA plug

Here's one
    https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Blue.../dp/B00IQBSW28

You pair your phone to the adapter and than just treat the adapter like an analog audio input

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    Jay, assuming you have a phone or tablet with Bluetooth and whatever streaming app you can buy a Bluetooth dongle that can output to an RCA plug

Here's one
    https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Blue.../dp/B00IQBSW28

You pair your phone to the adapter and than just treat the adapter like an analog audio input
    Thanks. I don't have a smart phone or tablet. What about laptops though? Can you typically get one of those with bluetooth and do that? A quick google seem to indicate yes.

The set up now is my work lap top which is a 'dumb' computer because it really only has what I need to log into my companies systems (VDI it's called). But I'm thinking of getting my own personal laptop.

Sorry about the treadjack.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Thanks for the responses. Plenty of sites I gotta try.

Jay -- I bought a Mytek Brooklyn Bridge Streamer/Digital-to-Analog Converter (a "DAC"). It takes its digital feed via a HDMI cable hooked to a phone/internet router but the device is controlled by my laptop. It's one more input for my stereo system, alongside the turntable and CD/SACD player. It's one more box. It gives me the proverbial whole new world of musical choices.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Thanks. I don't have a smart phone or tablet. What about laptops though? Can you typically get one of those with bluetooth and do that? A quick google seem to indicate yes.

The set up now is my work lap top which is a 'dumb' computer because it really only has what I need to log into my companies systems (VDI it's called). But I'm thinking of getting my own personal laptop.

Sorry about the treadjack.
    well then the easiest thing to do is plus in a jack to the line-out of your computer with an adapter that has 2 stereo RCA jacks as an input to your receiver

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I just mini jack right out of my desktop/laptop to the digital speakers, no amp required you just plug them into your their own PS. Sound is say good for me! Get on with a base speaker, logitech sounds nice.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Thanks for the responses. Plenty of sites I gotta try.

Jay -- I bought a Mytek Brooklyn Bridge Streamer/Digital-to-Analog Converter (a "DAC"). It takes its digital feed via a HDMI cable hooked to a phone/internet router but the device is controlled by my laptop. It's one more input for my stereo system, alongside the turntable and CD/SACD player. It's one more box. It gives me the proverbial whole new world of musical choices.
    Thank you. And Dave G.

Here's are some stations I think are really good if you are into Jazz or Classical: https://www.francemusique.fr/

Russian Troll Farmer
    I've tried Iheart and Pandora, but it seems that whatever you put in for your preferred artists, they just give you a 2-hour long loop that keeps repeating. And often the choices are odd, probably because they are only choosing from whichever record company catalog they have. Also, especially with IHeart, it seems that no matter which rock group you start on, within an hour they will be playing "stairway to heaven"...

No, I've decided that I like the radio format, it's just that I can't stand 95% of those available. for the last couple of years, I've mostly listened to BBC6 in the car.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    And often the choices are odd, probably because they are only choosing from whichever record company catalog they have. Also, especially with IHeart, it seems that no matter which rock group you start on, within an hour they will be playing "stairway to heaven"...
    I feel the same about the playlists for classical music. I keep expecting the Pachelbel Canon to show up. I truly wish KUSC deejay Jim Svejda were at the controls.

Frog Whisperer
    If you want a real spread of music, you need to pay..... PERIOD?
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    "Shoutcast" anyone? 89,000 internet radio stations...I believe they are all free. Again, I'm aggregating my favorites via TuneIn... also free.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    Gotta disagree with that unless maybe you don't included 'radio stations' IMO. Takes some searching and bookmarking but there's a serious spread of stuff available free that doesn't just repeat the same few hours worth of songs.

Just the college stations in Boston alone that I get with antenna (but could be streamed from anywhere) give me a real diverse selection of genres and they are all reach pretty far within that genre.

Although it's not necessarily what I want when I want it. WHRB (Harvard's station) for example has really good jazz, classical, blue and punk programs and slip in Opera now then. I like them all so generally it's a good station 24/7 (sports talk excluded in context of talking about music). But of course wanting jazz they don't help me if they are playing punk. So I just go a small jazz station out of California that I have bookmarked.
    And if I happen to want something specific within a genre and not DJ's choice I can usually find it or close enough on youtube.

Russian Troll Farmer
    I feel the same about the playlists for classical music. I keep expecting the Pachelbel Canon to show up. I truly wish KUSC deejay Jim Svejda were at the controls.
    When it comes to classical, I like the evening shows from WQXR in NY-it's more of a "drive time" show, though. As for a classical feed at home, WNED from Buffalo is nice, as is Minnesota Public Radio feed, and I've always enjoyed DK radio's classical station, but the announcements are all in Danish.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Rub it............
    I use Pandora. It's free, easy to use and it learns what I like.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

a real member's member
    every day since dc berman died, i'm sayin', "alexa, play silver jews."

can't get enough.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I stream Spotifty on an iPad or iPhone and connect via bluetooth to a PS Audio Sprout amp, which drives some B&W 601s. Simple and sounds pretty good IMO

I have the original Sprout but now they have a newer one with more power.

https://www.psaudio.com/products/spr...ted-amplifier/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sorry as I am old school.....CDs baby!! Just got American Garage (Pat Metheny).....buzzzzz
    So I tuned the Larrivee, drop D, then DADGAD.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast