Anyone dealing with high blood pressure? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    riding lots usually keeps my resting BP in the healthy range. But then my bad aortic valve tipped me towards heart failure so they replaced it this spring. Now instead of 130/55 I am more like 155/90 if I were not to take meds. With the valve working properly, the heart doesn't have to work so hard to jack up the pressure. This is good but it reveals that 4 months of languishing and convalescing post surgery is not good for cardio health. So I am on a beta blocker and Ca channel blocker. The beta blocker is exactly what you don't want for cycling though - suppresses heart rate below 120bpm no matter what I do. So that means no riding in the hills. But luckily that is only for a year post surgery, and next year I can go to just the CCB and maybe even no meds (except warfarin) if I ride lots and lose weight.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Tai Chi

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14629852

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by dontbetoomuchofa? View Post
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Tai Chi

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14629852
    I agree with you that it could work on a culture who believes in keeping in shape to stay in shape rather than a culture who moves forward to somewhat reckless ends of fast food, personal motorised transportation and long hours at the office and less in meditation and floor mats. The culture in beijing changed rapidly last few decades. Now it's more tourist witnessed.

https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%A4...9E%81%E6%8B%B3

Where to practice Tai-chi in Beijing

You can see people practicing Tai Chi in any public park in Beijing including the Temple of Heaven park, the Summer Palace and Jingshan Park.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    I agree with you that it could work on a culture who believes in keeping in shape to stay in shape rather than a culture who moves forward to somewhat reckless ends of fast food, personal motorised transportation and long hours at the office and less in meditation and floor mats. The culture in beijing changed rapidly last few decades. Now it's more tourist witnessed.

https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%A4...9E%81%E6%8B%B3

Where to practice Tai-chi in Beijing

You can see people practicing Tai Chi in any public park in Beijing including the Temple of Heaven park, the Summer Palace and Jingshan Park.
    As much as I'd love to keep my pill poppin' at a minimum, I gotta disagree with the Verve's 1997 hit and say "The drugs do work."
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    As much as I'd love to keep my pill poppin' at a minimum, I gotta disagree with the Verve's 1997 hit and say "The drugs do work."
    Kind'a. I went through a period mid thirties moving around country to country after my divorce. I didn't gain weight but lost a lot of muscle. In europe, riding 50 to 60k a day commuting, walking everywhere after riding and weekends exercising grafted toward the USA thing, windshield, toll booths and a snap shot at the next fillup.

Then I decided after a very bad medical visit and 40 lb over weight to exercise again, daily. So I did and found RoadbikeReview and tons of great stuff which my entire life prior was shaped around.

Cyclists are a different breed. We perhaps like repetition, a certainty, an absents of danger or a faith and usually are found navigating the weather channel more then any other species-specific. All we do as cyclists is spin in tight circles suspending weight on lightly constructed frames, all, like life turely focused on being forward. An addiction. A mellow high. A sence of reality in a world not so pleasent nor compliant. Each commute a personal victory. A best. Something to pin on a refrigerator front and an honor you're doing what no one really has the guts to ever do.

The control of your own destiny and being that individual no one but other cyclist can understand. Like a pack of wolves on a feeding frenzy. the last one eats till full.

What was the subject?

Something, I guess.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

RoadBikeReview Member
    My BP is pretty low, to the point where I'm sometimes rejected as a blood donor because it's not at minimum. No red meat or chicken, only fish on occasion, and even that I'm trying to cut back on.

Also very little alcohol (if that even matters for BP, apparently not per the comments.) My vices are sugar, cream in my coffee, and fancy cheese.

Exercise varies, sometimes I'll get into a good grove for a few weeks, then slack off. Been doing more running lately than biking, just getting back into that after slacking off due to summer class/weather.

Boobies!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    Kind'a. I went through a period mid thirties moving around country to country after my divorce. I didn't gain weight but lost a lot of muscle. In europe, riding 50 to 60k a day commuting, walking everywhere after riding and weekends exercising grafted toward the USA thing, windshield, toll booths and a snap shot at the next fillup.

Then I decided after a very bad medical visit and 40 lb over weight to exercise again, daily. So I did and found RoadbikeReview and tons of great stuff which my entire life prior was shaped around.

Cyclists are a different breed. We perhaps like repetition, a certainty, an absents of danger or a faith and usually are found navigating the weather channel more then any other species-specific. All we do as cyclists is spin in tight circles suspending weight on lightly constructed frames, all, like life turely focused on being forward. An addiction. A mellow high. A sence of reality in a world not so pleasent nor compliant. Each commute a personal victory. A best. Something to pin on a refrigerator front and an honor you're doing what no one really has the guts to ever do.

The control of your own destiny and being that individual no one but other cyclist can understand. Like a pack of wolves on a feeding frenzy. the last one eats till full.

What was the subject?

Something, I guess.

Nice ode to cycling.

I also think (on a good day) being on my bike makes me feel like a kid again!
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
    -Hanlon's Razor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12