Anyone dealing with high blood pressure?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005

Yes, I saw a doctor before consulting with internet strangers!

After decades of having my BP right around 110/70, starting about last October it appears to have jumped up to the point where my eye doc and dentist pointed it out to me. After reading about Aki and Travis Bickle (on MTBR) I measured it myself at the pharmacy and it was in the Stage 2 hypertension range.

Off to my doc I went.

Long story short, it seems BP is actually kinda tough to measure on an infrequent basis and my doc isn't *yet* too concerned. But now I'm tracking it at home at we'll see how things are in a few months.

Granted, mom and dad have high BP and my cardio regime hasn't been what it used to be but it really seems to have spiked in a short time. Ironically this happened during a time when I've reduced my alcohol intake.

Between this and plans for a big ski trip in January, I have new-found motivation to ramp up the exercise program but I wonder how effective that will be.

The main goal is to lower my BP without having to take meds. Have any of you been successful with that?

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post

After decades of having my BP right around 110/70, starting about last October it appears to have jumped up to the point where my eye doc and dentist pointed it out to me. After reading about Aki and Travis Bickle (on MTBR) I measured it myself at the pharmacy and it was in the Stage 2 hypertension range.

Off to my doc I went.

Long story short, it seems BP is actually kinda tough to measure on an infrequent basis and my doc isn't *yet* too concerned. But now I'm tracking it at home at we'll see how things are in a few months.

Granted, mom and dad have high BP and my cardio regime hasn't been what it used to be but it really seems to have spiked in a short time. Ironically this happened during a time when I've reduced my alcohol intake.

Between this and plans for a big ski trip in January, I have new-found motivation to ramp up the exercise program but I wonder how effective that will be.

The main goal is to lower my BP without having to take meds. Have any of you been successful with that?
    Yeah, just this last May. I'm overweight, though. I should be 200-210 and last May I was over 260 when I went in for the adhesive capsulitis in my shoulder. I lost 13 lbs between then and last Monday, but it was still the same. They put me on something in May to get it down, but I quit taking it. The side effects were brutal. I was down to less than an hour of sleep a night and was starting to hallucinate, so I threw that crap in the trash.

They gave me something from a different family. I haven't taken it yet. I'd like to get it down without the drugs.

It's time to **** or get off the pot wrt weight loss. With my active lifestyle, I'm going to increasingly have stress injuries due to the extra bulk. It's been tough staying on track, the biggest problem is the stress of the last year with the health problems my 14 year old is having. She was in the hospital fo 8 days last fall and I gained 15 lbs because it was constant fight or flight response. My cortisol must have been through the roof.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    The side effects were brutal. I was down to less than an hour of sleep a night and was starting to hallucinate, so I threw that crap in the trash.
    Jeebus, that sounds horrible. And sorry to hear about your daughter.

My doc basically told me that my BP is problematic because it's not ideal from a heart health perspective but not bad enough to risk the side-effects from meds.

Part of my issue is that my ortho surgeon recommended I stop running after my knee surgery. Not that I loved running in the first place but it was a convenient way to get exercise, especially when travelling. I'm now weighing the pros-cons of ignoring that recommendation.

Darn genetics. And when the heck did I become mortal?!

Ricardo Cabeza

Jeebus, that sounds horrible. And sorry to hear about your daughter.

My doc basically told me that my BP is problematic because it's not ideal from a heart health perspective but not bad enough to risk the side-effects from meds.

Part of my issue is that my ortho surgeon recommended I stop running after my knee surgery. Not that I loved running in the first place but it was a convenient way to get exercise, especially when travelling. I'm now weighing the pros-cons of ignoring that recommendation.

Thanks. Weíve got her back on track, but itís something sheíll have to work with on a daily basis for the rest of her life. Sheís a strong kid, though.

The biggest thing with me is the same thing you have wrt to exercise. I havenít been able to get into the gym for anything other than walking on a treadmill for almost 3 years due to constant injuries. The things that have always worked for me - heavy lifting with free weights - Iíve not been able to do. First i injured my left shoulder lifting totes incorrectly (should have known better), then I had an impingement in my right, then capsulitis. My shoulder is progressing nicely but now I have tendinitis in my left elbow.

Uuuuuuuurrrrrrgh

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

Proud luddite
    A few years ago my doctor was on the verge of prescribing medication for my blood pressure, which had slowly been increasing to the point where he was concerned. But at that same time, my wife decided to go on a plant-based diet (a.k.a., vegan) so I asked the doctor to wait on the medication so we could see what happened when I also did the plant-based diet thing. So we were pretty strictly on that diet for a few months and sure enough, my blood pressure went back to normal. I did not change any other aspect of my lifestyle....same level of exercise, same amount of sleep, doing the same job....the ONLY change was my diet. While we have deviated from the diet somewhat, I would say that the majority of the food that I eat now is still plant-based, and my blood pressure has stayed locked in to the healthy range. So while I am not a doctor and I am not saying that the plant-based diet will cure your high blood pressure, I can say that I am convinced that the dietary change that I made is the reason for my blood pressure returning to normal. You can do some online research about the plant-based diet and talk to professionals about it (your doctor, a dietician, etc.) and decide for yourself.

If you do decide to do the diet, go into it with an open mind and be prepared to make some sacrifices, i.e. no more meat, no more dairy, no more animal food product of any kind. Like I said though, we did it seriously for a while and then backed off so we do eat some meat, fish, and occasional dairy now...but overall we made some very healthy changes to our diet and I think it has paid off in terms of my overall health. But that's just my personal experience and again, I am not qualified to tell you how to handle your health issues. Whatever you decide to do, I hope it works out the way you want it to.

Opus was just napping

Okay, first I love to run and run a lot, but Mrs. Tmb isn't so lucky and even though she would love to run her knee says no. So years back we started jumping rope. Mrs. Tmb can jump and not have it hurt her knees since the hop once you get regular bounce or boxer skip down is much less severe than running.

After working at for the past few years jumping rope is an absolute blast, the tricks the fun, the ability to take a rope anywhere and just jump. Whenever I am traveling on business or vacation I always take a couple of jump ropes.

And it destroys calories...
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by thatsmybush View Post
    Okay, first I love to run and run a lot, but Mrs. Tmb isn't so lucky and even though she would love to run her knee says no. So years back we started jumping rope. Mrs. Tmb can jump and not have it hurt her knees since the hop once you get regular bounce or boxer skip down is much less severe than running.

After working at for the past few years jumping rope is an absolute blast, the tricks the fun, the ability to take a rope anywhere and just jump. Whenever I am traveling on business or vacation I always take a couple of jump ropes.

I hear there are some cool rhymes you can say while youíre doing it, too

SuperAndy's Garage

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by thatsmybush View Post

I would not have thought jumping rope would be kind to leg joints, but if it works, it works.

It is a brutally effective workout. Can you guys do the more advanced stuff, e.g., one leg, criss-crossing, and such?
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

"Oh my god. This is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. Iím fód.Ē

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for the tips.

I've tried jumping rope once or twice before and remember not feeling very coordinated. It might be fun to get good at. But the problem isn't that I feel pain, it's that my meniscus is mostly missing so impacts will eventually cause arthritis and maybe knee replacement. I still snowboard since that's my passion, and do some limited jumping/treadmill work at the gym, but want to prolong what sounds to be inevitable to the extent possible.

Phasing out a bit of meat wouldn't hurt either. We used to eat vegetarian meals more often than we do now so that would be an easy change.

Boobies!
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    A few years ago my doctor was on the verge of prescribing medication for my blood pressure, which had slowly been increasing to the point where he was concerned. But at that same time, my wife decided to go on a plant-based diet (a.k.a., vegan) so I asked the doctor to wait on the medication so we could see what happened when I also did the plant-based diet thing. So we were pretty strictly on that diet for a few months and sure enough, my blood pressure went back to normal. I did not change any other aspect of my lifestyle....same level of exercise, same amount of sleep, doing the same job....the ONLY change was my diet. While we have deviated from the diet somewhat, I would say that the majority of the food that I eat now is still plant-based, and my blood pressure has stayed locked in to the healthy range. So while I am not a doctor and I am not saying that the plant-based diet will cure your high blood pressure, I can say that I am convinced that the dietary change that I made is the reason for my blood pressure returning to normal. You can do some online research about the plant-based diet and talk to professionals about it (your doctor, a dietician, etc.) and decide for yourself.

If you do decide to do the diet, go into it with an open mind and be prepared to make some sacrifices, i.e. no more meat, no more dairy, no more animal food product of any kind. Like I said though, we did it seriously for a while and then backed off so we do eat some meat, fish, and occasional dairy now...but overall we made some very healthy changes to our diet and I think it has paid off in terms of my overall health. But that's just my personal experience and again, I am not qualified to tell you how to handle your health issues. Whatever you decide to do, I hope it works out the way you want it to.
    It worked for Clinton--and also one of my work mates--pretty fast to make a difference to both cholesterol and BP by switching to a mainly vegan diet!

I'm good with the blood pressure--my Doc's standard comment is 'I want your BP' when he takes mine.

I totally sympathize with the shoulder injuries and other crap associated with aging, or chronic Lyme, or maybe both. Mostly I'm trying to eat a little better, maintain regular sleep patterns and I've been trying to get on my bike every day or so. Next for me is probably going to be some basic strength/weight training.

I did physio for my shoulder a couple of years ago, and got a lot of mobility back, and now I just have to be careful what I try to do with it.
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
    -Hanlon's Razor

Sweet Potato Kugel

Life Change

Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    ...So we were pretty strictly on that diet for a few months and sure enough, my blood pressure went back to normal. I did not change any other aspect of my lifestyle....same level of exercise, same amount of sleep, doing the same job....the ONLY change was my diet.
    This was my recommendation, too.

As we grow older, less food intake is needed. I went extreme one late summer substituting all snacks for apricots only, and as well, no boos or beer. My blood pressure was borderline and weight was 20 lb over. Loss of muscle would probably put me up as a fatty. When you control what goes into your mouth the body appreciates it. I noticed my blood pressure dropping over those months and skin colour was great [freckles on arms and face dissipated]. I've gone back to fresh fish and rice for over two years. The family will cook up zucchini and squash often too, in season.

Exercise in correcting weight is okay, but controlling intake first and foremost brings some great and constant results in any season of the year.

....the biggest problem is the stress of the last year with the health problems my 14 year old is having. She was in the hospital fo 8 days last fall and I gained 15 lbs because it was constant fight or flight response. My cortisol must have been through the roof.
    So sorry to hear that, Andy. Having an ill child is horrifying. The stress is compounded with maintaining a positive facade in front of the entire family. I hope all is well.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by paredown View Post
    It worked for Clinton--and also one of my work mates--pretty fast to make a difference to both cholesterol and BP by switching to a mainly vegan diet!
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by paredown View Post
    I totally sympathize with the shoulder injuries and other crap associated with aging, or chronic Lyme, or maybe both. Mostly I'm trying to eat a little better, maintain regular sleep patterns and I've been trying to get on my bike every day or so. Next for me is probably going to be some basic strength/weight training.

I did physio for my shoulder a couple of years ago, and got a lot of mobility back, and now I just have to be careful what I try to do with it.
    Did you have Lyme? That's torture. As for your blood pressure being great and your doc envy, ...you must have a set of adolesent kidneys. That's impressive. Hope your shoulder mends entirely [swimming can help].
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    This was my recommendation, too.

As we grow older, less food intake is needed. I went extreme one late summer substituting all snacks for apricots only, and as well, no boos or beer. My blood pressure was borderline and weight was 20 lb over. Loss of muscle would probably put me up as a fatty. When you control what goes into your mouth the body appreciates it. I noticed my blood pressure dropping over those months and skin colour was great [freckles on arms and face dissipated]. I've gone back to fresh fish and rice for over two years. The family will cook up zucchini and squash often too, in season.

Exercise in correcting weight is okay, but controlling intake first and foremost brings some great and constant results in any season of the year.

So sorry to hear that, Andy. Having an ill child is horrifying. The stress is compounded with maintaining a positive facade in front of the entire family. I hope all is well.
    Appreciate that. Weíve gotten a firm diagnosis and a path forward which has improved things dramatically. Sheís going to have to live with it for the rest of her life but sheís a strong kid and will be a strong adult.

SuperAndy's Garage

Opus was just napping
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    I would not have thought jumping rope would be kind to leg joints, but if it works, it works.

It is a brutally effective workout. Can you guys do the more advanced stuff, e.g., one leg, criss-crossing, and such?
    I think when a person is just starting out it can be tough on the joints because people tend to fear hitting the rope, the timing isn't there and they just much higher than necessary. Once a person gets the basics down and really feels comfortable, then the "hop" is about a no more than a couple of inches off the ground. (not including some advance tricks like triple unders or between the leg crosses where you need height to pull them off) Not nearly the weight of force that you would apply if you were running.

As for tricks, yea we are pretty good at this point. Crossovers, double cross unders, side cross unders, turn arounds, etc. Did one hour this morning 50 seconds on 15 seconds recovery and my Fenix 5 says I burned 730 calories.

For anyone that might be interested. The Jump Rope Dudes on youtube do some pretty good teaching videos (yes they are kind of you know dudish). I am a fan of RX Ropes, but beware they are for indoor use only (because of the type of cable they use 3.4 oz is best in my opinion) , for outdoor use Crossropes because they use PVC cord that can handle the pavement blacktop beating.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

Opus was just napping
    I hear there are some cool rhymes you can say while youíre doing it, too

Choreography is part of the fun of advanced jump rope. I can't do half the shiat I can do if I don't have music playing.

Raleigh just recently played host to the nationals--those men and women are essentially world class gymnasts with a rope in their hand. Amazing talent and super other worldly fit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001
    As I've aged my blood pressure has finally come up to normal. Use to be whenever I got checked, the nurse would ask me if I was alive. Apparently it was on the low side. So BP isn't anything I've had to deal with. I'm thankful for that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Go read some studies on hibiscus tea/extract.

Ricardo Cabeza

Off to my doc I went.

So I was in to the doc last Monday and she gave me something from a different drug family. Same crap. Three days in and last night I got 4 hours of sleep, I'm coughing, and I'm getting mean.

I'll take the high blood pressure.

SuperAndy's Garage

Master debator.
    Mine is controlled by diet and exercise, I'm usually around 110/70. I bike some, lift a little, and run a lot. I eat more fish and white meat and try to limit red meat. I eat a lot of vegetables, and eat healthy snacks like pistachios and boiled eggs etc. of pre-made sugary crap. Mostly I fight every day to keep my weight down, I'm 6'0" and 188 and I should be 178 or less.

I use exercise to reduce my stress of the day versus eating. It's really hard to go for a run after work after a long day, but I almost always feel better after I exercise without fail than not.

Good luck!
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Devoid of all flim-flam
    My doctors didn't give a damn how healthily I was eating, how much exercise I got or how minuscule my fat percentage was. They just prescribed me a veritable pharmacy of pills to consume each day . And damn, BP is now at least semi-normal. No side effects, either, at least none I can recognize or complain about. Thank you, modern medicine!
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    Mine is controlled by diet and exercise, I'm usually around 110/70. I bike some, lift a little, and run a lot. I eat more fish and white meat and try to limit red meat. I eat a lot of vegetables, and eat healthy snacks like pistachios and boiled eggs etc. of pre-made sugary crap. Mostly I fight every day to keep my weight down, I'm 6'0" and 188 and I should be 178 or less.

I use exercise to reduce my stress of the day versus eating. It's really hard to go for a run after work after a long day, but I almost always feel better after I exercise without fail than not.

Good luck!
    It's funny, that sounds a lot like me. Or at least me a few years ago. I was 110/70 for 43 1/2 years then something caused it to jump to around 140/90 about 6 months ago.

After some thought, the only change I can think of is that I used to ride to work almost every day, rain/snow or shine and I've backed off from that A LOT in the past 2 years as traffic has become more concerning in my town. I really think that has a lot to do with it.

So my plan of attack is to: drink less, eat less, eat more veggies and less meat, exercise more in general, and maybe buy a new commuter bike!

Actually, between this and wanting to be in shape for a trip to Maui in October and a heli-ski trip in January, I'm more motivated to get fitter than I've ever been - and I'm really not in bad shape as it is.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Although at 6'3", 175 lbs I'm at ideal weight, my failed kidneys reduce what sort of dietary changes I can implement. I need EXTRA protein and iron, but reduced potassium and phosphorus, as well as limited fluid. So, a lot of vegan ideas just won't work for myself.

In order to lower my BP, I take Lisinopril and Hydralizine in the morning, then Doxazosin and Hydralizine in the evening.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Ricardo Cabeza

Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Although at 6'3", 175 lbs I'm at ideal weight, my failed kidneys reduce what sort of dietary changes I can implement. I need EXTRA protein and iron, but reduced potassium and phosphorus, as well as limited fluid. So, a lot of vegan ideas just won't work for myself.

In order to lower my BP, I take Lisinopril and Hydralizine in the morning, then Doxazosin and Hydralizine in the evening.
    Lisinopril was what caused me the sleepless nights.

I think Iím just a lot more sensitive to medications than most people. I donít even like taking antibiotics. About all Iíll take is advil.

Anyway, the shitting in **** or get off the pot started yesterday. Up at my usual time of 530, drink coffee and read until 730, then work for 2-3 hours, head to the gym, come home and eat breakfast at 11 ish. Dinner at about 5ish. Last time I did this I dropped 25 lbs. need more than that but I was at 246 this morning. I think if I can get down to under 225 my bp should drop back down to 120/70 which is what itís always been. Iíll still be overweight at that level but not by much.

The problem now is my shoulder and elbow. I did my 5x5 this morning but skipped squats as I still canít get my arm back to hold the bar.

Last edited by Andy69; 07-22-2019 at 02:55 PM.

SuperAndy's Garage

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Up at my usual time of 530, drink coffee and read until 730, then work for 2-3 hours, head to the gym, come home and eat breakfast at 11 ish. Dinner at about 5ish.
    Might wanna throw in an Ensure early mornings for blood sugar. You will burn a lot of calories early morning with an empty stomach if keeping sugar levels stable. I never ate breakfast. Hungry mid afternoon and good food evenings. Majority of my exrecise was early morning from carbs obtained the evening before.

Good luck. I hope you see satisfaction. This comes slowly, but surely.

Ricardo Cabeza

Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    Might wanna throw in an Ensure early mornings for blood sugar. You will burn a lot of calories early morning with an empty stomach if keeping sugar levels stable. I never ate breakfast. Hungry mid afternoon and good food evenings. Majority of my exrecise was early morning from carbs obtained the evening before.

Good luck. I hope you see satisfaction. This comes slowly, but surely.
    I put half and half in the coffee, I think that gives me just enough. Iím pretty sensitive to blood sugar levels and Iím usually pretty good in the morning. Starting off in the gym with 10 minutes of walking or riding the bike or eliptical eases me into the exercise so I donít bonk. Seems to work pretty well but ymmv as they say.

Iíve had to rethink this stuff as Iíve gotten older. Used to be a big bowl of grape nuts with milk and a banana first thing in the morning and I was good until mid afternoon but it seems that early morning fasting works now.

Anyway, down to the mid 240s, havenít seen that in 6 years

I drink a lot of coffee, usually 10 of the 12 cups. My 14 year old has ADD and talking to the docs over her condition I realized Iíve probably had it most of my adult life, so I figure Iíve just been self medicating al these years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SuperAndy's Garage

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast