Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    It was rad.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone see 'Alien: Covenant'?-13331133_1351930214817981_471995275149705429_n.jpg  
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    OK, saw it.

That crew was too dumb to fly a ship, sorry, bubba is not up for the task. I think it could have worked if they could have not been a bunch of C-liners. Should have come up with some other stuff.
    even though the ship flys iself, and has an android to do everything...yep, they still couldn't fly it.
    All the gear and no idea

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
    It was rad.
    Here's one available on the market.

Anyone see 'Alien: Covenant'?-vorttice10.jpg

usually unusual
    Finally saw it on HBO. Am pretty thankful I didn't waste $15 + gas + snack money seeing it in the theatre.

Sigh. The franchise is officially just treading water. Aside from Fassbender's performance(s), did not give much of a sh!t about anything that happened on screen. At all.

Yet another dumb crew, forgettable characters, and now the chestbursters are backbursters and come out in minutes rather than hours/days. Meh.

On the scant plus side of the ledger, they did burn James Franco alive in the first five minutes. That's generally how James Franco is best experienced... medium-rare.

It's maybe 1 1/2 stars out of four. Nice visuals, but Scott's clearly run out of ideas. And killing off Elizabeth Shaw off-screen (just like David Fincher did to Hicks and Newt in Alien 3, much to fans' dismay) was just a douche move.

Stick a fork in this franchise, it's done. And I saw this as someone who loves the first two films in the franchise more than just about anyone.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Finally saw it on HBO. Am pretty thankful I didn't waste $15 + gas + snack money seeing it in the theatre.

Sigh. The franchise is officially just treading water. Aside from Fassbender's performance(s), did not give much of a sh!t about anything that happened on screen. At all.

Yet another dumb crew, forgettable characters, and now the chestbursters are backbursters and come out in minutes rather than hours/days. Meh.

On the scant plus side of the ledger, they did burn James Franco alive in the first five minutes. That's generally how James Franco is best experienced... medium-rare.

It's maybe 1 1/2 stars out of four. Nice visuals, but Scott's clearly run out of ideas. And killing off Elizabeth Shaw off-screen (just like David Fincher did to Hicks and Newt in Alien 3, much to fans' dismay) was just a douche move.

Stick a fork in this franchise, it's done. And I saw this as someone who loves the first two films in the franchise more than just about anyone.
    I only watched the Cinema Sins of it. To be fair, Liz Shaw's character was arguably one of the more stupid ones in Prometheus. -1 for continuity in the new movies, but +10 for thinning the heard of "WTF were you thinking!?" characters. Fittingly, she even caused her own stupid demise by wiring the head back onto a homicidal sociopath robot with a god-complex: I mean, gee, WHAT COULD GO WRONG?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBGECC5U09Q
    Last edited by Marc; 03-27-2018 at 04:07 AM.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

Master debator.
    Even after re-watching the trailer nothing about the movie sticks out in my memory as being good, it must have been worse than I thought.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012

Yo! Don't sleep on the Aliens vs. Predators series.... The first one was pretty good until they became a tag team thing that made it unwatchable. The second one was really good because they didn't hold anything back. They killed everything that moved with lots of blood. Again, it became unwatchable as the picture was too dark the whole entire time...

gazing from the shadows
    Finally saw it on HBO.
    I saw the first 30 minutes of it.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

usually unusual
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I only watched the Cinema Sins of it. To be fair, Liz Shaw's character was arguably one of the more stupid ones in Prometheus. -1 for continuity in the new movies, but +10 for thinning the heard of "WTF were you thinking!?" characters. Fittingly, she even caused her own stupid demise by wiring the head back onto a homicidal sociopath robot with a god-complex: I mean, gee, WHAT COULD GO WRONG?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBGECC5U09Q
    No one in Prometheus knew David was a psychopath. So Shaw gets a pass there.

But in Covenant, the signs are kinda there... and really, Oram should've just shot him. But Scott needs another movie, so, 'plot armor' for David, aka stupid crewmembers behaving stupidly.

Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

usually unusual
    Quote Originally Posted by Keoki View Post
    Yo! Don't sleep [step?] on the Aliens vs. Predators series.... The first one was pretty good until they became a tag team thing that made it unwatchable. The second one was really good because they didn't hold anything back. They killed everything that moved with lots of blood. Again, it became unwatchable as the picture was too dark the whole entire time...
    I... did not care for either of the AvP movies.

That's about the most diplomatic way I can put it.

usually unusual
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    I saw the first 30 minutes of it.
    "In space, no one can hear you change the channel."

Adorable Furry Hombre
    "In space, no one can hear you change the channel."
    Nor in The Prometheus School Of Running Away From Things.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    whatever happened to the reboot? where they were going to scrap everything that happened after Aliens and go from there... I mean normally I hate the idea of reboots, but in this case, all for it as the first 2 were great and everything after was ... er... less good.
    All the gear and no idea

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    whatever happened to the reboot? where they were going to scrap everything that happened after Aliens and go from there... I mean normally I hate the idea of reboots, but in this case, all for it as the first 2 were great and everything after was ... er... less good.
    Reboot, you mean Neill Blomkamp's? Well, after his big flop with Chappie (2015), that idea was scrapped. https://www.forbes.com/sites/danidip.../#210dca5a5009

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    ^poop
    All the gear and no idea

usually unusual
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    Reboot, you mean Neill Blomkamp's? Well, after his big flop with Chappie (2015), that idea was scrapped. https://www.forbes.com/sites/danidip.../#210dca5a5009
    That's too bad. A (good) reboot that essentially wiped away everything after Aliens and replaced it with a fresh slate is exactly what the franchise needs.

But I guess Scott's not going to allow that, is he? Even though his Alien prequels aren't much better than the (pretty bad) Star Wars prequels were.

Scott is simply too talented to go all 'late-career George Lucas' on us. The Martian proves he can do still do great work, even while pushing 80... when he focuses on a fresh idea. He should hand off the Alien-verse to someone else.

It really REALLY needs fresh blood at the helm, I think. If not, they should just end it.

What the what???
    Prometheus should have been two movies. They rushed the Engineers origin sequence, the science and the sales pitch to Weyland that led to the mission. That could have been a movie unto itself.

But then what do I know? I wasn’t a fan of Aliens. Too much mockery of military bravado and Bill Paxton whining about how everyone was going to die. I actually preferred Alien 3. I like the style of the prison/monastery and the acting (particularly Charles S. Dutton and Charles Dance) was solid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy... wait.

usually unusual
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    I actually preferred Alien 3. I like the style of the prison/monastery and the acting (particularly Charles S. Dutton and Charles Dance) was solid.
    I understand that there's a Director's Cut of Alien 3 that is far better than the theatrical release. I do want to hunt it down some day.

But, it is hard to like a film that basically craps so hard on the prior one. We, the audience, generally LIKED Hicks and Newt and Bishop, and they spent the entire prior film fighting to survive, basically. So for them to just be killed off so casually was a big slap in the face that helped make ppl not like the film.

Even James Cameron himself had to call BS on that:

“I thought [the decision to eliminate Newt, Hicks, and Bishop] was dumb,” [Cameron] said (via io9). “I thought it was a huge slap in the face to the fans.

[‘Alien 3’ director]
    David Fincher is a friend of mine, and he’s an amazing filmmaker, unquestionably. That was kind of his first big gig, and he was getting vectored around by the studio, and he dropped into the production late, and they had a horrible script, and they were re-writing it on the fly. It was just a mess.

I think it was a big mistake. Certainly, had we been involved we would not have done that, because we felt we earned something with the audience for those characters.”

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Alien 4 was much better than Alien 3.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I understand that there's a Director's Cut of Alien 3 that is far better than the theatrical release. I do want to hunt it down some day.
    I saw it recently. It was Netflix rental DVD that gives options of the 2 cuts just before the beginning of movie. As for being far better, that's subjective. I felt that it's slightly better.

But, it is hard to like a film that basically craps so hard on the prior one. We, the audience, generally LIKED Hicks and Newt and Bishop, and they spent the entire prior film fighting to survive, basically. So for them to just be killed off so casually was a big slap in the face that helped make ppl not like the film.
    Bold part is exactly the reason why the 3rd one just can't get higher score in my view. It was a big slap in the face. They did basically the same thing with Dr. Shaw and the Engineer in Alien: Covenant.

Even James Cameron himself had to call BS on that:

“I thought [the decision to eliminate Newt, Hicks, and Bishop] was dumb,” [Cameron] said (via io9). “I thought it was a huge slap in the face to the fans.

[‘Alien 3’ director]
    David Fincher is a friend of mine, and he’s an amazing filmmaker, unquestionably. That was kind of his first big gig, and he was getting vectored around by the studio, and he dropped into the production late, and they had a horrible script, and they were re-writing it on the fly. It was just a mess.

I think it was a big mistake. Certainly, had we been involved we would not have done that, because we felt we earned something with the audience for those characters.”
    BS and big mistake indeed. Only if they (project team members of Alien: Covenant) have learned the lesson from the past... because https://screenrant.com/alien-covenant-sequel-canceled/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    Exactly. The worst part was the characters. I would venture to guess that if such a mission were attempted only the best and brightest would be sent.
    PLOT TWIST: This is the brightest and the best as the movie is based in the Idiocracy universe

What the what???

Sometimes you have to “kill your darlings”. The only purpose Hicks and Newt could have served in Alien 3 would have been to die in a horrific way. Otherwise, they are a drag on the throughline of Ripley versus the Alien.

It wasn’t a slap in the face to me. More a necessary evil.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy... wait.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jason124 View Post
    PLOT TWIST: This is the brightest and the best as the movie is based in the Idiocracy universe
    There have been many criticism on certain crew members of Prometheus but at least that movie does explain why, in very subtle ways, perhaps too subtle for many to notice. In it, Meredith Vickers, the one who was in charge of the mission at the time, certain individuals were "hired personally" by her. That single line was very critical but can easily be overlooked. She wasn't in support of the idea that her father would live on longer or even forever and continue to be in charge of the Weyland "Empire". In a way, she wanted to sabotage the mission which was hinted via several dialogues along the way. Those crew members that she "hired personally" are not the brightest and the best by design (it takes more than 1 viewing to notice some of these). The result of that was what most people refer to as stupid scenes. Could it have been better? Of course, no movie is perfect but it turned out better than Covenant.

I've seen a reaction from someone who hasn't seen Prometheus that liked Covenant. I can see that because it's not bad as a stand alone movie but when it's tied to earlier story, it's a big let down.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Saw it on cable this weekend. It sucked. Not as bad as Promethius, but it sucked.

The ending had me scratching my head. Is evil David off to populate the galaxy with Aliens using the colonists as incubators?

Glad I didn't pay $17 bucks to see it at a theater.

usually unusual
    Quote Originally Posted by Keoki View Post
    Alien 4 [Resurrrection] was much better than Alien 3.
    Until the third act. Then it sh!ts the bed pretty hard.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12