Anyone use Broadband phone service with a cell phone?

Oct 2003

Anyone use Broadband phone service with a cell phone?

I hear broadband phone service cost much less than regular conventional phone service. I do fair amount of long overseas phone calls but they cost me quite a bit even with the special overseas call discount program phone companies offer. Also I'd like to be able to make overseas calls from my cell phone but right now with Verizon service it's expensive and complicated. I hear people using their cell phone w/ broadband phone service as their only phone. Anyone use a broadband phone service with your cell phone? What are the advantages and drawbacks?
    all this will last a blink of an eye

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by lsnfa
    I hear broadband phone service cost much less than regular conventional phone service. I do fair amount of long overseas phone calls but they cost me quite a bit even with the special overseas call discount program phone companies offer. Also I'd like to be able to make overseas calls from my cell phone but right now with Verizon service it's expensive and complicated. I hear people using their cell phone w/ broadband phone service as their only phone. Anyone use a broadband phone service with your cell phone? What are the advantages and drawbacks?
    How would that work? You'd still have to go through a cell to get the VoIP data? Can't see it saving any money.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

Ya, what ATP said...!
    As BoJo mentioned, Voice Over IP (VOIP or Internet Phone) has been around for a while. Vonage is the big player but most of the cable and DSL carriers offer it as an add-on to broadband. You insert a card into your system that has a phone jack. The card converts your analog phone signal into a digital packet and ships it out through your broadband line and onto the phone system. Basicsally, broadband phone service is a traditional land line, just a different line.

If you call the same person in Europe, there are some products where you can create a free, point-to-point VOIP connection. When I managed engineers in Canada, we all had these little devices ($10 each) and could spent hours on the phone at a time with no toll charge with better sound quality than cell service. Creative Labs made them but have since sold the product to a different company.

http://www.webstation.lk/infotalk/voIPblaster.html

So far as I know, there is no product that that incorporates cell service through broadband. These are different protocols and different networks with no cost benefit for integrating.

Personally, I dumped my long distance provider and use 10-10-297 for calling the UK and the Czech Republic. No monthly, $.39 connection and $.02/minute. My wife is English and has about 2 hours every Sunday on the long haul while I'm riding. It's saved us a ton. If you do drop your LD carrier, be sure to have your local provider block outbound long distance on your account. If you don't block and forget to dial a 10-10 provider's prefix, the phone company will place the call on the first available trunk and you could get a $1/minute charge on your bill from "Fred's Phone Company" with no way of disputing the charge with your PUC. Good luck.

Roll Out Jeremy

I use Vonage...

Quote Originally Posted by lsnfa
    It took some work to get the bugs out. Now I have timers on my router so it resets every night. That forces a new IP and cleans up the connection. I also had to upgrade my ISP (Comcast) to get VoiP to work really well. The net savings turned out to be about $10.00 a month. Patching in with a cell phone isn't practical yet. I'm pretty happy with it, after quite a bit of fiddling around. It's not for everybody. Consumer Reports just did a review on these things.

Palm trees & sunshine!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fordy
    It took some work to get the bugs out. Now I have timers on my router so it resets every night. That forces a new IP and cleans up the connection. I also had to upgrade my ISP (Comcast) to get VoiP to work really well. The net savings turned out to be about $10.00 a month. Patching in with a cell phone isn't practical yet. I'm pretty happy with it, after quite a bit of fiddling around. It's not for everybody. Consumer Reports just did a review on these things.
    You're the second person I've heard talk about quality issues with Vonage recently. I've been using AT&T Callvantage since early October and it's been great. Total monthly savings for us is $37 and change. The quality we get now is actually 10X better than it was over the traditional landline but I credit that more to 50 year old copper in the neighborhood than anything else.

Shirtcocker
    I think there are a few "cell" phones that basically are 802.11 compatible devices. Unlike a traditional cell phone you'd be limited to calling wherever there was an Internet hotspot (ie Starbucks and the like). Think that using this technology is probably a bit too advanced for the casual user still.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking