Anyone using something besides a phone for portable music?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005

Anyone using something besides a phone for portable music?

I just cracked the screen on my 7th Gen Ipod Nano. It's still working but I suspect not for long and my repair options seem to be limited to non-existent.

I loved that thing because it was compact and no-frills, just played music. Perfect for working out.

Of course, Apple no longer makes anything like this. Even the current Ipod is basically a phone in terms of size and function.

It looks like Sony sells a "Walkman" version of MP3 player but I'm not familiar with them.

What to do? Does anyone here use anything more simple than their phone for music?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    I would suggest you try your local craigslist market as you might be able to score another Nano, or something similar, for cheap. I see two for sale on my local craigslist for $50-$70.

I purchased a practically brand new iPod 6th generation from a member on another bike forum for a mere $40. Slightly larger than you want, but an example.

P.S. I bought an Otter Case for mine as a measure of protection from damage.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2015
    I sometimes use an older Shuffle (4th generation?). It is tiny and works well enough, so long as you don't need to do anything but listen to music and skip songs. The Sandisk Clip Sport looks OK too. But usually, I just stick my not-too-big iPhone 5S in my jersey. I made a snug bubble wrap 'case' for it. It's more for waterproofing than impact resistance, but hey, it might help.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Biggest issue is syncing with iTunes.

If you NEVER update iTunes, you can sometimes keep it legacy enough to work with old i music devices. If you update iTunes, you can hit a point where iTunes will no longer update the music device and no longer sync. I'm not sure if you can download purchased music from Apple to a really old version of iTunes.

The cheapest iPod device is the 32 gig @ $200, which is nuts. $300 for the 128gig. Also nuts.

I went thru all this when my wife's 20 yr. old iPod Touch would no longer sync to iTunes, frigging headache that ended up as 2 new iPhone 8's, my old 6S becoming a 64gig music player, a major headache trying to merge 2 separate Apple music accounts into one......

Not cheap.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    a major headache trying to merge 2 separate Apple music accounts into one......

Not cheap.
    Yeah, I just went through something like this when my iphone 5s died and I was upgraded to a 7. The new phone would go into a loop where it kept asking for my wife's istore password.

I'm going to see if my local Batteries+ store can replace the glass. If not, I'll use it until no longer works then probably just start using my phone. Or check pawn shops - there's no ipods on my local Craigslist.

Going to the gym sucks bad enough without having to listen the music they play.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    ScanDisk!
    BANNED

Darling of The Lounge
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    ScanDisk!
    I have a 10 year old mp3 player that holds about 8 GBs of music. I don't subscribe to any service other than mp3 Panda. Otherwise, I use websites with a YouTube to mp3 conversion tool to obtain the rest.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    I bought/hoarded a couple of iPod Shuffles right after Apple discontinued 'em.

May their batteries never wear out.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did Ė peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah2000 View Post
    The Sandisk Clip Sport
    Sandisk Clip... there are other versions beside the sport. Klantop? Never heard of it, but comes up in searches.

"clip" as a search term seems to bring up the tiny ones, btw.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

Rub it............
    I use an Ipod Touch 5th gen. Have had it for about 4 years now.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

( ͡į ͜ʖ ͡į)
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc View Post
    I use an Ipod Touch 5th gen. Have had it for about 4 years now.
    I've got one of those. The battery is rapidly declining, and the screen is broken. Is there a good way to get those repaired?
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    Otherwise, I use websites with a YouTube to mp3 conversion tool to obtain the rest.
    That's no issue for me as I mostly only rip music from CDs. I just don't have patience for relearning software and my home computer is outdated to the point of being unreliable. I last loaded music onto my ipod a year ago.

It's not that I'm a Luddite, I just don't have patience for those sorts of things. I can tell what's wrong when something mechanical isn't working and enjoy the troubleshooting process but when a computerized thing gets wonky I just throw up my hands and start swearing.

Rub it............
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    I've got one of those. The battery is rapidly declining, and the screen is broken. Is there a good way to get those repaired?

Not sure on the screen repair. Maybe a place that repairs Iphones? I agree on the battery. Keep mine plugged in for the most part.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

Cathedral City, CA
    Nov 2005
    https://www.iresq.com/ipod-repair/ip...-7-repair.html

Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    I just cracked the screen on my 7th Gen Ipod Nano. It's still working but I suspect not for long and my repair options seem to be limited to non-existent.

I loved that thing because it was compact and no-frills, just played music. Perfect for working out.

Of course, Apple no longer makes anything like this. Even the current Ipod is basically a phone in terms of size and function.

It looks like Sony sells a "Walkman" version of MP3 player but I'm not familiar with them.

What to do? Does anyone here use anything more simple than their phone for music?
    2016 Ritchey BreakAway (carbon)
    Full Campagnolo drivetrain - Chorus 11sp (50, 34 & 12-29)
    Zonda wheels
    Lezyne Super GPS w/Cateye speed/cadence & HR sensors
    Ritchey fork, stem, headset, bars and seatpost
    Fizik Arione VSX saddle
    Cinelli bar tape

BeBop Pedals

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by flatlander_48 View Post
    This and/or the Sandisk Clip are going to be the way for me. Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    I like the iPhones, iPads as well, better than the HTC and Samsung stuff Iíve used, but iTunes just sucks. Iím not sure thereís much alternative music player or storage options that work well, but I regret getting sucked into the Apple enviroment, especially as the only way to get purchased music off iTunes is to burn to CD

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Iím not sure thereís much alternative music player or storage options that work well, but I regret getting sucked into the Apple enviroment,
    I'm sure your not well informed about what you are talking about, but I agree that locking into only one manf is not the solution.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    I'm sure your not well informed about what you are talking about, but I agree that locking into only one manf is not the solution.
    Likely Iím not informed about an iTunes alternative on Apple devices. Have you any useful advice ?, Iíd be better informed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Likely Iím not informed about an iTunes alternative on Apple devices.
    I was not refering to Apple devices and neither was the OP.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    I was not refering to Apple devices and neither was the OP.
    Puzzled. The OP stated in the first post "I just cracked the screen on my 7th Gen Ipod Nano"

This whole thread is about Apple devices.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Puzzled.
    Don't argue on my account. I just wrapped some Scotch Tape around the broken screen and moved on. I'm surprised the touchscreen still functions but eventually sweat/moisture is going to take a toll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    7th Gen Ipod Nano"
    I had no idea this was apple, I'm uninformed.
    BANNED

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    This and/or the Sandisk Clip are going to be the way for me. Thanks!
    My wife got a small waterproof player specifically made for swimming. It will only play MP4 (I think) and it got to be too much of a hassle to work around our Apple Music files. Itís never gotten wet and been sitting in a drawer for over a year. Drop me a line if you want to try it out.

Iíve used Iresq for screen repair on a MacBook Air and an iPhone 6 and itís been a great service.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    I had no idea this was apple, I'm uninformed.
    Well me too. I've had to learn more about Apple and iTunes then I ever wanted these past 2 weeks and I'm far from done. If I had a great way to get Apple purchased music into a ScanDisk or something like it, I'd be done with iTunes.

I actually did some research last night and discovered some alternative iTunes players for i devices, FooBar2000 seemed promising. I downloaded and installed, played with it a while, then discovered it just seemed to not "find" all the music in the iTunes library. Like about 500 or more songs. Oh well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Don't argue on my account. I just wrapped some Scotch Tape around the broken screen and moved on. I'm surprised the touchscreen still functions but eventually sweat/moisture is going to take a toll.
    You can use about any of the more recent generations of iPhones to play music. You don't need to use as a phone, just turn off or not activate any of the phone functions. Depending on how many gigs you need, I think as far back as an iPhone 5 will take the recent OS and work with iTunes. You could probably get a 5 64 gig refurbished on e-bay for $75.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast