Anyone watch "Dead Wood" last night?
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    2,248

    Anyone watch "Dead Wood" last night?

    New HBO series. I thought it was funny, dark but funny. Looks like it has potential.

  2. #2
    I'm on a time-out/temporary ban
    Reputation: Sintesi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    4,302
    Quote Originally Posted by CARBON110
    New HBO series. I thought it was funny, dark but funny. Looks like it has potential.
    Yeah, I stayed up and watched it. Maybe I was a little tired but I found parts of it hard to follow. It's gritty.

    I like a few of the actors especially that evil guy running the saloon and Brad Doriff as the doctor. Good stuff. I'm not so sure of the ex-sheriff character. He's got some mannerisms that i found a little annoying.

    I'll tune in next week tho.


    Soprano's is heating up! Even tho it seems like more of the same I'm still hooked. Paulie Walnuts just cracks me up. After wapping that guy on the head with a shovel and dropping that guy out of the tree.... Then he takes their lawnmower and throws it in the back of his car and drives away. Lovely.

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: giovanni sartori's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,017

    I thought it was good

    Of course, my favorite movies are The Outlaw Josey Wales and Tombstone. Any western made I'll tune in. I liked the characters, but I also found some parts hard to follow, the bad guy has some schemes Tony S. would be proud of. Its only a 12 series show so I'll give it a shot.

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    2,248

    I agree entirely

    I understand they attempted to be as factual to the lifestyle as possible. I like the charechters and the approach the director is taking. The vulgarity was a surprise tot he extent it was used but again the whole story is about charechter change and transformation. The first seen was great.

    The Sopr. are really good this season. The first episode with Chris and Pauly after dinner in the parkinglot was hystarical! Got love that show even after waiting for a year I am impressed and recaptivated

    So Sartori how did you like "Open Range" I thought the cinimatography was superb and the gun fight was matched even by Tombstone standards. Who doesn't like Jose Whales!

  5. #5
    I'm on a time-out/temporary ban
    Reputation: Sintesi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    4,302
    Quote Originally Posted by CARBON110
    I understand they attempted to be as factual to the lifestyle as possible. I like the charechters and the approach the director is taking. The vulgarity was a surprise tot he extent it was used but again the whole story is about charechter change and transformation. The first seen was great.

    The Sopr. are really good this season. The first episode with Chris and Pauly after dinner in the parkinglot was hystarical! Got love that show even after waiting for a year I am impressed and recaptivated

    So Sartori how did you like "Open Range" I thought the cinimatography was superb and the gun fight was matched even by Tombstone standards. Who doesn't like Jose Whales!

    So funny I just watched Open Range yesterday as well (major couch potato). I loved the way that film looked. He could film open prairie and hills all day and I'd watch. I think I'm really longing to get out of the city.

    How did you like the first guy he killed? Bam! Game over, you're done.

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: giovanni sartori's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,017

    Liked Open Rango, too

    I agree about the cinematography of Open Range, I can also watch that movie just for the one scene at the end when he asks if the guys is the one who killed his friend and he just shoots him in the head. Pale Rider was on HBO yesterday and I had to watch that, too.

    I was surprised at the beginning of Deadwood too and as soon as it happened they hooked me in for the season. SNAP! You know a series is done well when you can imagine how bad some of those people smell based on their appearance.

    Best Western scene of all time: Josey Wales in the bar towards the end of the movie and the bounty hunter comes in to challenge Josey and he looks at him and says "A man's gotta make a living", Josey looks up and says "Dyin' ain't much of a livin' Boy". Bounty Hunter craps pants and walks out. Of course he walks back in and gets shot.

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    8,047
    Quote Originally Posted by Sintesi
    I'm not so sure of the ex-sheriff character. He's got some mannerisms that i found a little annoying.

    Like what? That they are obviously gay? ;)

    I liked that the wolves were eating the Minnesotans after they were slain... something obviously realistic, yet something I'd never considered before.

  8. #8
    My back hurts
    Reputation: mickey-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Posts
    4,862

    Not bad

    Quote Originally Posted by CARBON110
    New HBO series. I thought it was funny, dark but funny. Looks like it has potential.
    Unlike last year's big debut Carnivale, the opener of Deadwood kept me interested enough to tune in again next week. Although the profanity is non-stop, it's apparently in keeping with historical accounts of Deadwood in the 1870s. The actress playing Calamity Jane seems to be having fun.

  9. #9

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    180

    My man Clint!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by giovanni sartori
    Best Western scene of all time: Josey Wales in the bar towards the end of the movie and the bounty hunter comes in to challenge Josey and he looks at him and says "A man's gotta make a living", Josey looks up and says "Dyin' ain't much of a livin' Boy". Bounty Hunter craps pants and walks out. Of course he walks back in and gets shot.
    Agreed .. "Wales" has some great lines! I also like the observations Clint's character made in Unforgiven .

    "I guess he had it comin."

    "We all got it comin' kid"

    -------

    "Its a terrible thing killin' a man. You take everything he has, and everything he was gonna have."

    I would have to say that Open Range and Unforgiven really captured some honest and brutal depictions of the Wild West.

  10. #10

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    251

    Liked it too.

    Huge old Western fan here. I too thought it a bit scattered at points. Well, it's gotta intro a lot of stuff. I'll tune in again.

    Josey Wales your fav Clint film??? Man, High Plains Drifter (Clint) and the Good the Bad and the Ugly and the other Leone's take it for me. I found Open Range not so hot.

    I just had to take out old Shane (Clint remade into Pale Rider basically) to watch again last night.

    I might have to find Hot Lead and Cold Feet for some more historically accurate country stuff!

    Now, for my current fav, the Shield, it's back on tonight!

  11. #11
    I'm on a time-out/temporary ban
    Reputation: Sintesi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    4,302
    Quote Originally Posted by giovanni sartori
    I agree about the cinematography of Open Range, I can also watch that movie just for the one scene at the end when he asks if the guys is the one who killed his friend and he just shoots him in the head. Pale Rider was on HBO yesterday and I had to watch that, too.

    I was surprised at the beginning of Deadwood too and as soon as it happened they hooked me in for the season. SNAP! You know a series is done well when you can imagine how bad some of those people smell based on their appearance.

    Best Western scene of all time: Josey Wales in the bar towards the end of the movie and the bounty hunter comes in to challenge Josey and he looks at him and says "A man's gotta make a living", Josey looks up and says "Dyin' ain't much of a livin' Boy". Bounty Hunter craps pants and walks out. Of course he walks back in and gets shot.
    ]

    Another great one for quotes is Tombstone w/ Kurt Russell and Val Kilmer.

    Wyatt Earp: You die first, get it? Your friends might get me in a rush, but not before I make your head into a canoe, you understand me?

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Wyatt Earp: Are you gonna do something, or just stand there and bleed?

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Wyatt Earp: You tell him I'm coming! And hell's coming with me!

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Doc Holliday: It's true, you are a good woman. Then again, you may be the antichrist.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cowboy: Why, it's the drunk piano player. You're so drunk, you can't hit nothin'. In fact, you're probably seeing double.
    [Cowboy draws a knife, and Doc Holliday takes out a second gun]
    Doc Holliday: I have two guns, one for each of ya.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Doc Holliday: Why Kate, You're not wearing a bustle. How lewd.


    There's like websites dedicated to it. I think it's more the way Kilmer and Russell say the lines as much as anything.


    One more for moneyman

    Marshal: Tell you one thing though. I never saw a rich man didn't
    wind up with a guilty conscience.
    Wyatt Earp: I already got a guilty conscience. Might as well have
    the money too.

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    2,248

    Bravo !

    Bravo ! I couldn't agree more. Between Pale Rider and Tombstone, thanks to Sentesi for recounting all the lines as I was about to do since I know them by heart for some reason =) How about Butch Cassidy and Sundance though, c'mon classic! Or the Unforgiven. The thing I like most about Eastwood movies is 99% of them are comedies but no one sees that. If you know anything about him, you would appreciate it even more. He is a very aesthetic guy, writes classic music and ballads, enjoys peace and quiet and hates pop music and all cigars LOL!

    Damn fine taste you movie western lovers have

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.