assistance is needed in the cookie recipe aisle
    still shedding season

assistance is needed in the cookie recipe aisle

I'm leading a kayaking trip over the weekend, and I usually bring the Alton Brown chocolate chip cookie goodness. About time for something different - thinking oatmeal raisin, but I've never made them so I don't have a recipe. Any suggestions?

Has to be good enough to avoid a mutiny on the high seas. Arrrrrgh... Other ideas considered but this isn't really the hash brownie crowd. Can't go wrong with peanut butter w/chocolate chips and roasted pecans either.

Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
    I would go to the food network website and see what cookie recipes Bobby Flay has or Alton Brown. They usually post all the recipes on the website.
    Just fast enough to know I am slow.

your text here
    best oatmeal cookie recipe is the one on the quaker oats box (with some personal modifications, of course). it might be under the lid, though.

my mods:
    - substitute peanut butter for 1/2 the butter (unless someone has nut allergies)
    - divide raisin amount into raisins, dried cranberries, semi sweet choc chips, dark chocolate chips
    - sometimes i will make monster cookies. these are raisins, semi-sweet chips, dark M&Ms, and peanut butter M&Ms.

with oatmeal cookies, bigger is badder, baby.
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

i like whiskey
    Anyone who would complain when someone brings cookies, esp. on a kayaking trip, should get a taint punch.

Keep the oatmeal raisins simple. Maybe add some pecans. That is it. Chocolate chips and peanut butter should never come near the greatness that is oatmeal raisin cookies. They have their place, but not here.

still shedding season
    Quote Originally Posted by innergel
    Anyone who would complain when someone brings cookies, esp. on a kayaking trip, should get a taint punch.
    New addition to club bylaws!

I'll look for the box top recipe - choc + peanutbutter would not be combined with oatmeal + raisin.

Anti-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by innergel

Keep the oatmeal raisins simple. Maybe add some pecans. That is it. Chocolate chips and peanut butter should never come near the greatness that is oatmeal raisin cookies. They have their place, but not here.
    Thank you for the new sig.

I agree about adding other stuff- chocolate chips are sacred, as are oatmeal raisin cookies... mixing the two is like bbq pizza.
    No turkey unless it's a club sandwich
    Brickhouse Blog

still shedding season
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea138
    Thank you for the new sig.
    In a thread I started, no less! I am so my (meager) poast count.

Lets Go Hokies!!!
    Call me a heathen, but I made some chocolate chip- cherry oatmeal cookies last week that were a hit. At first I thought there were too many ingredients (they have slivered almonds as well) but they were fantastic.

Recipe is on epicurious.
    Its not over till you're underground

http://hokierider.blogspot.com

Back from the dead
    I feel that raisins are a waste of a perfectly good grape, and I can't stand them in cookies. An oatmeal-raisin cookie is a waste of a cookie. If you are trying to please a group of people, stick with chocolate chips. If you want to mix things up a bit, throw in some butterscotch chips, too. Not too many, because they are sweet, but just enough so that each cookie gets some. The chocolate chip/butterscotch combination will rock your world.

your text here
    have you had bbq pizza? it is good. nothing i would eat all the time, but its good.

as far as choc chips and oatmeal cookies, mixing all those things makes it awesome. but i do reserve about 1/2 the batter for raisin/craisins only. The Kid hates chocolate.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea138
    I agree about adding other stuff- chocolate chips are sacred, as are oatmeal raisin cookies... mixing the two is like bbq pizza.
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

RoadBikeReview Member
    This recipe is from Cook's Illustrated and they are incredible. You can substitute chop dates for raisins it is incredible.

BIG CHEWY OATMEAL-RAISIN COOKIES

Makes 16 to 20 large cookies

If you prefer a less sweet cookie, you can reduce the white sugar by one-quarter cup, but you will lose some crispness. Do not overbake these cookies. The edges should be brown but the rest of the cookie should still be very light in color. Parchment makes for easy cookie removal and cleanup, but itís not a necessity. If you donít use parchment, let the cookies cool directly on the baking sheet for two minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.

2 sticks (1/2 pound) unsalted butter, softened but still firm
    1 cup light brown sugar
    1 cup granulated sugar
    2 eggs
    1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
    3 cups rolled oats
    1 1/2 cups raisins (optional)

1. Adjust oven racks to low and middle positions; heat oven to 350 degrees. In bowl of electric mixer or by hand, beat butter until creamy. Add sugars; beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in eggs one at a time. ed.note: don't skimp on the time mixing the sugar and butter together. longer is better for these cookies. and make sure each egg is incorporated completely before adding the next

2. Mix flour, salt, baking powder, and nutmeg together, then stir them into butter-sugar mixture with wooden spoon or large rubber spatula. Stir in oats and optional raisins.

3. Form dough into sixteen to twenty 2-inch balls, placing each dough round onto one of two parchment paperĖcovered, large cookie sheets. Bake until cookie edges turn golden brown, 22 to 25 minutes. (Halfway during baking, turn cookie sheets from front to back and also switch them from top to bottom.) Slide cookies on parchment onto cooling rack. Let cool at least 30 minutes before serving.

i like whiskey
    Quote Originally Posted by mohair_chair
    I feel that raisins are a waste of a perfectly good grape, and I can't stand them in cookies. An oatmeal-raisin cookie is a waste of a cookie. If you are trying to please a group of people, stick with chocolate chips. If you want to mix things up a bit, throw in some butterscotch chips, too. Not too many, because they are sweet, but just enough so that each cookie gets some. The chocolate chip/butterscotch combination will rock your world.
    blashpemer! why don't you and your choco-butterscotch cookie thing go get punched in the taint!

PS - cookies are like pizza and sex. when they are good, they are very good. and when they are bad, well they are still pretty good.

Anti-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by weltyed
    have you had bbq pizza? it is good. nothing i would eat all the time, but its good.

as far as choc chips and oatmeal cookies, mixing all those things makes it awesome. but i do reserve about 1/2 the batter for raisin/craisins only. The Kid hates chocolate.
    I have- Pizza is good, and bbq is good, but when you mix the two together, the goodnesses just don't combine.
    No turkey unless it's a club sandwich
    Brickhouse Blog

Hermia commutes
    Oatmeal raisin on their own are good. But if you substitute chocolate chips for teh raisins they become a really rich chocolate chip cookie. Very awesome. But I would never mix the two.

The modification that I like is to use the Quaker recipe (I up the cinnamon a bit) and instead of raisins I mix in chopped pecans and chopped candied ginger. AWESOME.

still shedding season
    Quote Originally Posted by Plank
    This recipe is from Cook's Illustrated and they are incredible.
    Cook's Illustrated is pretty much the cat's ass. Big, chewy and incredible are pretty good adjectives when we're talking about cookies.

Ingredients = check. Replaced parchment paper after the box I bought last month was empty (not like you can really tell by weight) = check.

still shedding season
    Quote Originally Posted by Plank
    This recipe is from Cook's Illustrated and they are incredible. You can substitute chop dates for raisins it is incredible.
    Plank with the WIN!! These are teh awsomeness. Next door neighbor could teach Martha Stewart a thing or two - I swear she makes her own salt. And she wants the recipe. So did a couple of the six vultures that devoured them as soon as I got them out of the boat today. Just plain raisins and did the 1/4c less sugar thing. WTH, am I the only one who likes chocolate chip?

Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
    Quote Originally Posted by kykr13
    WTH, am I the only one who likes chocolate chip?
    I adore chocolate chip cookies. Especially the recipe right off the Toll House morsels bag. You just can't fark it up.

The reason those are the best cookies of all time is that they're salty.
    "jazz gives you large testicles"--aliensporebomb