Astronaut Neil Armstrong, first man to walk on moon, dies at age 82
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Anphaque II
    Reputation: cda 455's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,176

    Unhappy Astronaut Neil Armstrong, first man to walk on moon, dies at age 82

    R.I.P. Neil

    By NBC News
    Neil Armstrong, the first man to walk on the moon, died Saturday, weeks after heart surgery and days after his 82nd birthday.

    His family reported the death at 2:45 p.m. ET. A statement said he died following complications resulting from cardiovascular procedures.

    News of Armstrong's death was first reported by NBC's Jay Barbree
    http://cosmiclog.nbcnews.com/_news/2...edomain=usnews
    America's greatest threat: Congressional liberal Democrats

    Crimes Against Humanity: The History of The Democrat Party

  2. #2
    Not a rocket surgeon.
    Reputation: tihsepa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    9,402
    RIP. Neil

  3. #3
    Farmguy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    573
    I can remember exactly where I was while I watched him walk on the moon for the first time. Amazing that that event was able to start a belief and spirit in the United States that lasted for years afterwards.

    R.I.P. Neil
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Finish your Beer, there are sober kids in India

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    266
    A story in honor of the great Neil Armstrong.

    Legendary test pilot Chuck Yeager is hanging out in the ready room at Edwards trading stories with other pilots. One of the new test pilots mentions that he is going up on a test flight. Yeager says I would put it off for a day or two. The new guy goes ahead anyway. The flight is fine, he lands on the lake bed, taxis and gets stuck in the mud. It had rained and the lake bed takes a while to dry out. The new guy was Neil Armstrong.

    Of course Neil went on to prove that he had more of the Right Stuff than anyone.

    From recollection, I believe it is from the book The Right Stuff.
    Last edited by early one; 08-25-2012 at 03:04 PM.
    "If you are going to be stupid then you have to be tough". - Tony Stewart

  5. #5
    Anphaque II
    Reputation: cda 455's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,176
    Quote Originally Posted by viciouscycle View Post
    I can remember exactly where I was while I watched him walk on the moon for the first time. Amazing that that event was able to start a belief and spirit in the United States that lasted for years afterwards.

    R.I.P. Neil
    I was 4 Y.O. when it happen.


    I remember the film footage when it was showing on the 6 o'clock news.

    I also remember in the same nightly news the film footage of what was going on in Viet Nam.
    America's greatest threat: Congressional liberal Democrats

    Crimes Against Humanity: The History of The Democrat Party

  6. #6
    Hi
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    698
    A great man. RIP.

  7. #7
    Formosan Cyclocross
    Reputation: Dajianshan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,378
    I wonder how they determined he was dead. The guy was one cool customer.

  8. #8
    Call me a Fred
    Reputation: MikeBiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    16,998
    Quote Originally Posted by cda 455 View Post
    I was 4 Y.O. when it happen.


    I remember the film footage when it was showing on the 6 o'clock news.

    I also remember in the same nightly news the film footage of what was going on in Viet Nam.
    I was in the military when it happened, with a co-worker/friend who had been a mission controller for Apollo 13.
    Mike

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

    Sleepy John Estes

    H

  9. #9
    Anphaque II
    Reputation: cda 455's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,176
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBiker View Post
    I was in the military when it happened, with a co-worker/friend who had been a mission controller for Apollo 13.

    So there's a strong possibility your friend could have been photographed throughout that entire incredible historical mission then, correct ?!
    America's greatest threat: Congressional liberal Democrats

    Crimes Against Humanity: The History of The Democrat Party

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    5,360

    Thumbs up

    Our whole family and some visitors stayed up into the night watching it. IIRC he actually stepped onto the surface late at night for us. He certainly shunned any kind of celebrity status his acheivement might have brought him, wheras Buzz Aldrin seems to relish it.

    Neil Armstrong will be remembered long after almost every other celebrity, athlete, musician or politician we know is forgotten. He is a true hero, a thousand years from now he will still be the first man to set foot on the moon.

    Godspeed Neil, I will think of you every time I look up at the full moon.

  11. #11
    Call me a Fred
    Reputation: MikeBiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    16,998
    Quote Originally Posted by cda 455 View Post
    So there's a strong possibility your friend could have been photographed throughout that entire incredible historical mission then, correct ?!
    The only photos that I have seen are of the 'biggies' with some back of the heads of everyone else.
    Mike

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

    Sleepy John Estes

    H

  12. #12
    Rob
    Rob is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Rob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    201
    Armstrong was a class act. He did something historic and monumental and he could have made a zillion dollars from being the first on the moon but instead he lived his life quietly and out of the spotlight. In this age of Kardashians and Teen Moms who are famous for all the wrong reasons, Armstrong is a reminder that there are real heroes, even if they would be the last to acknowledge it. Rest in peace, Mr. Armstrong.

  13. #13
    Call me a Fred
    Reputation: MikeBiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    16,998
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Armstrong was a class act. He did something historic and monumental and he could have made a zillion dollars from being the first on the moon but instead he lived his life quietly and out of the spotlight. In this age of Kardashians and Teen Moms who are famous for all the wrong reasons, Armstrong is a reminder that there are real heroes, even if they would be the last to acknowledge it. Rest in peace, Mr. Armstrong.
    Yep, he could have had paid autograph sessions and big-buck motivation talks to corp execs.
    Mike

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

    Sleepy John Estes

    H

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.