Attn Expert NNC Bargain Shoppers
    Cap'n of Industry

Attn Expert NNC Bargain Shoppers

Find me a deal on a 2007 Giro Atmos in Crystal Blue. Every place I normally look only has 08 or 07 in the wrong color/size. Had a collision yesterday (not with me, wasn't my fault, completely, this time) and Mrs. GScot needs her helmet replaced. She hasn't let me take a picture so nothing to post, yet. Turns out the entire front right 1/4 of the helmet is 'used up' and she can't stand to go back to wearing the old hot helmet. Yes her and the bike will be fine, scratches bruises and headache for her, scratches on her fancy new bike (well it's a year old) and kablooey for the helmet.

FYI Giro isn't making this color in 08, they do offer it in their new $250 helmet but damn.

I like Chicken
    Does Giro offer any kind of crash replacement/discount?
    Quote Originally Posted by gutfiddle
    Most of the gals we know schedule C sections whether they need them or not nowadays to keep their cooter from gettin torn up but I say you can't hurt them things, they're made of hognose material.

Cap'n of Industry
    Quote Originally Posted by OldRoadGuy
    Does Giro offer any kind of crash replacement/discount?

Nope. Bell does, I have a Sweep I smashed a while back and need to send in, $35 will replace your Bell. Unfortunately Giro is not so friendly. Also unfortunately Mrs. GScot finds Giro to be the most comfortable and Bell to be horrible. I think Specialized has a crash replacement but no idea what shape they are or how they fit.

IME Bell fits best for a long oval head shape. Giro will not fit a long oval. Too short front to back.

Rollin' Stones
    Giro has no crash replacement? Really? I find that to be really odd. Several years ago, when I first joined RBR, there was a thread about Pneumo's that were cracked, yet sold. Mine was one of the mentioned, sent in to Bell sports, which owns Giro and within a week, new helmet.
    I want rustlers, cutthroats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con-men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull-dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, sh**-kickers, and Methodists!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cydswipe
    Giro has no crash replacement? Really? I find that to be really odd. Several years ago, when I first joined RBR, there was a thread about Pneumo's that were cracked, yet sold. Mine was one of the mentioned, sent in to Bell sports, which owns Giro and within a week, new helmet.
    That crack was a defect in the early pnuemos and thus the willingness to take care of them. Bell and Giro are owned by Bell Sports. You may want to check as Giro used to have a program in place that offered a reduced cost replacement where you sent in the helmet and they sent you Giro Bucks, the problem was not all shops participated/took them.

No team-cest unless 8+!
    Giro no crash replacement? It's the exact same crash replacement (it's the same company). I don't remember the details, but I think you get a credit towards a new helmet. Technically, every dealer "participates"... it's just a question of whether or not they actually want to say they do/actually do it.

//edit: I can't find it on either website, but I promise its there. Every dealer is sent a little binder with all the info in there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    when I cracked my old atmos, I received a 30% discount on a new helmet. I just purchased a new one at a shop, and the crash replacement discount was factored in.

S2H
    wut?
    Get a Bell Sweep.

the fist
    Quote Originally Posted by GScot
    Find me a deal on a 2007 Giro Atmos in Crystal Blue. Every place I normally look only has 08 or 07 in the wrong color/size. Had a collision yesterday (not with me, wasn't my fault, completely, this time) and Mrs. GScot needs her helmet replaced. She hasn't let me take a picture so nothing to post, yet. Turns out the entire front right 1/4 of the helmet is 'used up' and she can't stand to go back to wearing the old hot helmet. Yes her and the bike will be fine, scratches bruises and headache for her, scratches on her fancy new bike (well it's a year old) and kablooey for the helmet.

FYI Giro isn't making this color in 08, they do offer it in their new $250 helmet but damn.

size?
    FlexiSexual

the fist
    FlexiSexual

the fist
    Whoopsie...this looks like a better deal, no small size...but it's gotta ride bikes!! so that means 15% off w/first order and free shipping

http://www.gottaridebikes.com/Mercha...roduct_Count=2

That means this helmet will be like, $135..you can mail me the difference
    FlexiSexual

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruzer2424
    Giro no crash replacement? It's the exact same crash replacement (it's the same company). I don't remember the details, but I think you get a credit towards a new helmet. Technically, every dealer "participates"... it's just a question of whether or not they actually want to say they do/actually do it.

//edit: I can't find it on either website, but I promise its there. Every dealer is sent a little binder with all the info in there.
    There is a reason why there is no written policy online and that plays right into the hands of the dealers that don't want to play along. Putting it in binder means nothing because no rep in his right mind will get in a pissing match with a dealer over the matter. There is far too much commission at stake for the rep to lose an account over the tiny number of people that try to crash replace and get turned away.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by teh moreon
    Whoopsie...this looks like a better deal, no small size...but it's gotta ride bikes!! so that means 15% off w/first order and free shipping

http://www.gottaridebikes.com/Mercha...roduct_Count=2

That means this helmet will be like, $135..you can mail me the difference

In that case I can get the Atmos for $63 so send Teo3 $126 and I'll buy one for me and one for you....

No team-cest unless 8+!
    Quote Originally Posted by teoteoteo
    There is a reason why there is no written policy online and that plays right into the hands of the dealers that don't want to play along. Putting it in binder means nothing because no rep in his right mind will get in a pissing match with a dealer over the matter. There is far too much commission at stake for the rep to lose an account over the tiny number of people that try to crash replace and get turned away.
    How in the world is a dealer going to pick a fight with the rep over a customer's crashed helmet? Whatever. That wasn't my point.

It's there. If dealer doesn't want to acknowledge it, then fine. If not, fine too. I'm not even sure if most managers/owners even knows its there. I haven't even had one customer ask about (let alone try to redeem) a Giro/Bell crashed helmet in the last 4 years.

Rollin' Stones
    Quote Originally Posted by teoteoteo
    That crack was a defect in the early pnuemos and thus the willingness to take care of them. Bell and Giro are owned by Bell Sports. You may want to check as Giro used to have a program in place that offered a reduced cost replacement where you sent in the helmet and they sent you Giro Bucks, the problem was not all shops participated/took them.
    Now that I've thought about it, I got the Postal scheme from an On-line retailer, the Pneumo's foam was cracked, sent it in, got a new Postal paint scheme that wasn't widely available yet.
    I want rustlers, cutthroats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con-men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull-dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, sh**-kickers, and Methodists!

Cap'n of Industry
    Thanks for digging guys. She does need a small which is the main reason I wasn't finding any. Turns out World Cycling has them too. Of course now she saw the Ionos in Crystal Blue and the local LBS might offer a bit of a discount/crash replacement since she did buy the Atmos there and they'll be able to get an Ionos. Assuming the Ionos fits the same as an Atmos, any comments on this?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruzer2424
    How in the world is a dealer going to pick a fight with the rep over a customer's crashed helmet? Whatever. That wasn't my point.

It's there. If dealer doesn't want to acknowledge it, then fine. If not, fine too. I'm not even sure if most managers/owners even knows its there. I haven't even had one customer ask about (let alone try to redeem) a Giro/Bell crashed helmet in the last 4 years.

At the risk of me flogging the dead horse and being way too serious for the lounge I think you misunderstood on the rep thing, I meant no rep in his right mind would fault a dealer for not doing anything on the crash replace for a custie, meaning dealers will almost always get away with turning people away. I have been shop manager, rep and shop buyer at different points. In the year I spent on the road rep'ing I only did one helmet replace for the large number of dealers I dealt with so I agree it doesn't happen much.

Fwiw I looked the '08 Bell/Giro dealer book this morning....nada on the subject which matches the website.
    Last edited by teoteoteo; 05-26-2008 at 10:38 AM.