Are Audi drivers the new BMW drivers?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    It's all ball bearings

Are Audi drivers the new BMW drivers?

I seem to recall a thread a while back about who the biggest A-holes on the road are and IIRC, WRX drivers seemed to be the consensus. But where I live there aren't a heck of a lot of WRX's, at least not compared to Audi's -- and Audi's, at least by number, make up 90% of the local A-hole driver contingent. BMW drivers seem mostly well-behaved these days.

So fess up -- which of you lounger Audi drivers could I count on to cut in front of me at 40 mph above the speed limit and flick a booger on my windshield in the process??

And while I'm overgeneralizing, I might as well add that you also always seem to be wearing dark aviator sunglasses even though you have black tinted windows and it's raining out.
    Last edited by BenWA; 04-09-2009 at 02:02 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BenWA
    I seem to recall a thread a while back about who the biggest A-holes on the road are and IIRC, WRX drivers seemed to be the consensus. But where I live there aren't a heck of a lot of WRX's, at least not compared to Audi's -- and Audi's, at least by number, make up 90% of the local A-hole driver contingent. BMW drivers seem mostly well-behaved these days.

So fess up -- which of you lounger Audi drivers could I count on to cut in front of me at 40 mph above the speed limit and flick a booger on my windshield in the process??

And while I'm overgeneralizing, I might as well add that you also always seem to be wearing dark aviator sunglasses even though you have black tinted windows and it's raining out.
    Lance has an Audi and a Trek. We have 2 new shop Audi Q7 TDI's that we split with the U23 team...

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Yes. They have been for a long time.

Exhibit A.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

Steaming piles of opinion
    Well, not at +40. I try to keep the turbo from spinning as much as I can.

Sorry about the booger. Damn allergies.

Beyond that, draw your own conclusions.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

waterproof*
    Lexus drivers have been catching my eye for the a-hole factor lately. Especially if it's one of those cream-colored with the gold trim.

The other perpetual annoyances are the dudes in the modded Civic/CRX/etc with tinting and wheels and mufflers all tuned out. But they are never a problem (so far) when on the bike.
    * not actually a Rock Star

toomanybikes
    I'm gonna go get my windows tinted and start running cyclists, real close.

Just for you.

Two scoops of inertia.
    Audi's built up more cache and BMW's ramped up their prices a bit. I'd say Audi drivers haven't become the new BMW drivers; BMW drivers just became Audi drivers.
    "Do I need to tell you what the f*ck you can do with an aluminum tube? ALUMINUM!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    When I lived in the US, I swore BMW drivers were the worst--- as they related to sharing the road with cyclists. Living in Europe and now driving a BMW, my opinion has changed.

VW Polo drivers are the worst.

As for general bad drivers--- anyone wearing a hat (not a cap)--- and/or is the original owner of a full-sized American car.

ab aeterno
    Audi's are piece's of carp cars. And so are their drivers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    My process for changing lanes on the expressway:

1- Check side view mirror
    2- Check over my shoulder for car in blind spot
    3- If there is a car there and it is a BMW I change lanes. If not I stay in lane

Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees
    Lexus drivers have been catching my eye for the a-hole factor lately. Especially if it's one of those cream-colored with the gold trim.

OH.

I thought the big silver "L" stood for loser.

There is a certain sense of entitlement - or something - that comes from paying for a BMW and getting a Camry.

toomanybikes
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDon
    Audi's are piece's of carp cars. And so are their drivers.
    Thanks for that very broad brush.

Try not to take offence at this - up yours.

Quote Originally Posted by toomanybikes

+1.

For the record, I do not have four wheels. Though some suggest that my hairline resembles a sun roof.

Mehpic
    wrx drivers are bad? hmm. i may have to take offense.

on a similar thread, my dad (old porsche owner- original owner of a '87 911 in summer yellow- rather rare car) was considering an upgrade to a new 911. one of the big negatives? he doesnt like new porche owners.
    catzilla: I wish we were all a little more invincible.

The NEGU Foundation: Caring for Courageous Kids http://www.thenegufoundation.org/

ab aeterno
    Quote Originally Posted by toomanybikes

That's usually where you find Audi drivers.

Call me a Fred
    I've noticed that Yugo drivers are the worst. They leave pieces of their vehicle all over the road.
    Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

Sleepy John Estes

H

Mehpic
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBiker
    I've noticed that Yugo/MG/Fiat/Ford drivers are the worst. They leave pieces of their vehicle all over the road.
    fixerated that fer you.

The NEGU Foundation: Caring for Courageous Kids http://www.thenegufoundation.org/

"El Bwana"
    Subaru Forrester drivers. Usually they're 50-year old women who are really, really angry at something.
    "Pardon me, but could you help out a fellow American who's down on his luck?"

It's all ball bearings
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDon
    That's usually where you find Audi drivers.

BAM!!

It's all ball bearings
    Quote Originally Posted by 2cflyr
    wrx drivers are bad? hmm. i may have to take offense.
    In general:

young male + fast, relatively cheap car = 2 fast 2 furious in rush hour traffic

It's all ball bearings
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Placebo
    Audi's built up more cache and BMW's ramped up their prices a bit. I'd say Audi drivers haven't become the new BMW drivers; BMW drivers just became Audi drivers.
    Well that would make sense, but then who were the original BMW drivers replaced with? There are still a lot of bimmers on the road around here (I'd say equal to Audis) but I hardly ever notice them driving like A-holes anymore.

Almost every time I see an Audi, I can almost count on it being operated by an A-hole.

Fast No More.
    Quote Originally Posted by PDex
    Subaru Forrester drivers. Usually they're 50-year old women who are really, really angry at something.
    Word to that.

Living in VT, Mrs. Slow and I both drive subies - mine an 02 OBS, and hers an 07 Forester. I had to drive her car one day this week, and there was a marked difference in my driving experience. The forester has ENORMOUS blind spots that no amount of mirror-adjusting and shoulder-glancing seemed to correct, and while the ride is smoother than than my car, I always feels a little too insulated from what's going on around me when I drive her car. I'm just saying, the car might be part of the problem.

I also noticed that I got much less respect from other drivers when i was driving the Forester. Maybe the planets weren't lining up that day, but on my regular commute, i was cut off more on the road and disgregarded at 4-way stop signs noticeably more than in my own car.

BTW, we're not angry 50-somethings. We're expatriate NYC 30-somethings with 2 dogs who found a good deal on a forester. But your characterization does hold for about 90% of the other forester drivers I see on the roads up here.
    Work to Eat | Eat to Live | Live to Ride | Ride to Work

Roadies Rejoice
    I seem to recall a thread a while back about who the biggest A-holes on the road are a......
    Can you say, confirmation bias?
    Audi of America President Johan de Nysschen regarding electric vehicles:
    "They’re for the intellectual elite who want to show what enlightened souls they are”

......._0
    ...... \<,
    ...( )/( )

Grey Manrod
    I drive a Dodge Stratus!

Mehpic
    In general:

young male + fast, relatively cheap car = 2 fast 2 furious in rush hour traffic

good point- I'm in my 30's and am likely at the upper age bracket of someone who would have ever bought a WRX.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast