Auto insurance rant
    Russian Troll Farmer

Auto insurance rant

My partner and I have had our cars insured with a large insurance company, which shall remain nameless (they use a guy and an emu in TV ads, though...). Last year we paid nearly $1000 to insure 2 cars, one an 8 year old Honda, and one a 10 year old Scion. Neither are driven more than 10k a year. This year, we got a bill for $1500. Neither of us had an accident or a ticket. We've had the same insurance company for 32 years now, BTW.

So, we called the company, wondering why our insurance went up so much, and the person on the phone said that it had been more than 3 years since either of us had taken a DMV driver safety course (which costs $30, and takes about 6 hours to complete). Not wanting to go through the excruciating dullness of THAT again, I decided to look around and found that I could get a better price literally EVERYWHRE.

So, I called Liber.....umm....the anonymous insurance company back, and THIS person said we could get a different, NEW policy with the same coverage for.......$567. Yes, just for making it a NEW policy it cost $963 less! So, we checked on our homeowner's insurance, did the same thing and we saved a total of $1600! And just to make it a bit stranger, that DMV course which would've supposedly saved us $400/year, on the new policy we would only save $57 if we took it (which is $3 less than the cost of both of us taking the course).

What galls me is that somebody decided it was a good idea to see how much they could screw-over a 30 year customer! And, yes, you'd better believe that he'll be doing this EVERY_DAMN_YEAR from now on. My advice for all of you is to do the same. Insurance companies are thieves, every single one of them.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Misfit Toy
    A good friend of mine was complaining about her homeowners insurance, she was paying almost twice as much as me, and my house is bigger. Told her to check out my insurer, saved her about $2000 a year..
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

Darling of The Lounge
    In order for me to get the best auto insurance rates, I had to break up my vehicles between a company that also handles my home insurance and one that specializes in collector cars and motorcycles.

A bit of a hassle, but worth it in the long run.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for the reminder...no claims for years.......time to shop.
    So I tuned the Larrivee, drop D, then DADGAD.

RoadBikeReview Member
    My bride does this on all our policies nearly every year. She is fanatical about it.

This past spring we took a look at Root Insurance for our vehicles. They have an app for your phone that over the course of 4-6 weeks tracks all your driving habits. Better drivers get better rates, seems like a logical move for an insurer. We will only save about $18 a month between the two of us, we already had pretty good rates before.

The second, and really more important result from this tracker system is that an independent, third party, using empirical evidence, confirmed that I am the better/safer driver between the two of us. Up until now she was constantly complaining about my driving, but the tracker unveiled that in reality, she is the heavy braker and is erratic in her speed. She received a 7/10 and I was a 9/10 on our final scores.

SCOREBOARD!

Master debator.
    The takeaway here is sell insurance if you want to retire comfortably.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Darling of The Lounge
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    The takeaway here is sell insurance if you want to retire comfortably.
    Yup. Once an agent builds a sizable number of customers, you'll typically find them at the golf course during regular business hours while the office minions toil away and cover the phones.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    How the hell do you think they're going to pay for those ads on TV that run probably HUNDREDS of times each day?

Proud luddite
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    How the hell do you think they're going to pay for those ads on TV that run probably HUNDREDS of times each day?
    It costs a fortune to train a camel to walk around an office and make hump day jokes, let me tell ya!

δanned
    If most customers continuously shopped around for better deals, insurance companies would offer loyalty discounts. As such, they have no impetus to do so unless called out for high-grossing you.
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    I bit of a tangent here but I think its safe to say the Geico does a lot of advertising: TV, internet, radio, newspapers etc. Its pretty much impossible to avoid. Lately I been see Geico banners being dragged behind planes in our area. My question is: if the incessant barrage of Geico TV ads radios ads, etc did not get me to switch, would a plane banner finally be the thing to win me over?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SauronHimself View Post
    If most customers continuously shopped around for better deals, insurance companies would offer loyalty discounts. As such, they have no impetus to do so unless called out for high-grossing you.
    Yeah, my SIL's hubby shops around for insurance every few years. It does seem like a good idea but I hate the hassle of it - I tend to suffer from "analysis paralysis".

Also, as mentioned by another poster, my insurance needs to have "agreed value" coverage for a classic car. Since they also cover my house and a bunch of toys, and haven't increased our rate even after a couple accidents, we'll probably stay with them.

We did dump our previous insurer a while ago. The agent was really great until he got too successful and then we never heard from him again. See-ya.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    I finally got around to pricing out insurance at USAA.

I thought I was getting a decent deal from Allstate for the past 30 years.

USAA will give me the same coverage as Allstate for less than half... actually a lot less than half of what I paid Allstate.

My homeowners will be a bit more than the rate I got from Allstate, but not by much.

I can't even bear to visualize all the money I've wasted with Allstate over the years. I'm switching by the end of the week.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Oh, man, Allstate is the WORST. They screwed me over about 35 years ago.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Oh, man, Allstate is the WORST. They screwed me over about 35 years ago.
    They've been good to me. I should put "good" in quotes. Over the years, they've reduced me to the zero deductible plan while reducing my premiums, even though my wife had a few fender benders and a speeding ticket in a work zone on an interstate highway, and we added a teenage driver two years ago.

And they give me a "good customer" rebate check for $200 every now and then. "Good Customer" as in complete fool who doesn't know how badly we've been ripping him off for over 30 years.

But emmereffer. When I found out I could be saving over half with USAA, I felt like a complete idiot who was so distracted by the shiny little worthless trinkets Allstate was giving me, I actually told people how much I love Allstate.

So when I talked to USAA today to ask if I have to call my allstate agent to cancel, the USAA guy said "When you tell them you're switching to USAA, they won't give you any pushback because they know they can't come close."