Avengers: Endgame... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    Saw EG for a second time tonight (my birthday) with my family. Our fist time was opening weekend. Like all good movies, it works better the second time around. It was also no less emotional an experience, maybe even more so. In all, EG is an amazing finale to the eleven year, 22 movie Marvel Infinity Saga.

As a child I grew up watching and loving Star Wars. The MCU is such a more satisfying experience, however. That being said, I dont think its fair to compare the two since they are from completely different time periods. The MCU builds on what SW started. They are both great for their own times.

Anyway, cant wait to see what happens next in the MCU.

RoadBikeReview Member
    John actually left work early the other day so we could catch this in IMAX 3-D. I met him in midtown with some edibles because I wasn't sure I could get through 3hrs of superhero hollywood mayhem without the help! I've seen a lot of the movies, but watch them passively, so I have no idea wtf is going on.

Gotta admit, it was a lot of fun. The edibles made it a little overwhelming, and I could probably have done without them. I found it refreshing to see a lot of male eye candy for a change, and less emphasis on the women.

It's also a little intimidating how good the special effects are getting. Ruffalo as the Hulk was rather cool, not sure if he was actually interacting with the others on set or what, but it was a compelling blend of animation and reality.

I'll have to ask my 9-year-old nephew to fill me in on some of the soap-opera backstory of these characters.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    I can't believe I still haven't seen it.

Been too wrapped up in the NBA playoffs and the (dumpster fire) last season of GoT, I guess.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Whew, FINALLY saw it. Liked it, but did not love it.

Long story (fairly) short, while 'team superhero movies SELL', at some point, too many characters and too much going on = overplotted mess. Yes, even with a three-hour running time.

The GOOD thing they did with this one was to focus on the characters and emotions involved, rather than seeing how many ginormous CGI battles can be shoehorned in. All well and good, and pretty much the ONLY way to navigate a film this sprawling, but even so, it's not quite ideal.

Do continue to be impressed at how good an actor most everyone is... most of the characters have only a few minutes of screen time, so they have to kinda hit their emotional marks QUICK. Hemsworth, Johansson, Ruffalo, Evans, Downey Jr., Renner, Rudd, Brolin, and on and on and on, most everyone turned in a good to great performance. Remember when action movies used to cast big juiced-up guys who couldn't act just 'cuz they 'looked the part'? Not anymore.

But still, wow. Even despite this, and the $350 million dollar (!!!) production budget, and a script that somehow made all the many many MANY pieces fit together... does feel like this is just not quite the right way to run a railroad, long-term.

Also feels like Marvel/Disney knows this too, so the next bunch of Marvel Universe films will be smaller in scale, starting with the second Spider-Man film which comes out in July, and seems to have only two heroes and Nick Fury.

Hope this remains the blueprint going forward... would like more emphasis on storytelling and less on making sure the juggernaut doesn't fly apart at the seams.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Cat 6
    It was a good finale but negative points for another time heist movie.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckice View Post
    It was a good finale but negative points for another time heist movie.
    I agree ... the "Time Heist" way they went was a bad move. It created multiple plot hole issues that they are trying to explain by saying what happens in the past doesn't affect the future ... but it does.

The simple fact that Thanos jumps from 2014(?) - 2023 and dies in 2023 means he never gathers the stones, never snaps his finger and makes have the living things in the universe disappear, and changes multiple points along the timeline ... they had to create many new points along the way.

Also with Loki taking the Space Stone in 2012 ... he couldn't have gathered all the stones to snap his finger, even if he did end up back in 2014.

That's just two repercussions from Endgame ... there are many, many, many more that they messed up along the way. Captain America would have remembered fighting himself back in 2012 when he went to get the scepter with the Mind Stone, etc.

This is a way to create the "Multi-Verse", but they are not explaining it that way ... though, they may be trying to introduce it with "Agents of Shield" since they are using the Multi-Verse this season.

They are behind the curve, and it's likely a bad way to go since DC has already started the multi-verse with their TV shows. Looks like they are copying them, instead of telling their own stories ... not a good move by Marvel in this case.
    Snakebit: "How many times do I have to tell you that I don't have a source? I don't make a note of everything I see or hear on the internet and you don't have to take my word for it."

What the Hell is going on
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookiebiker View Post
    I agree ... the "Time Heist" way they went was a bad move. It created multiple plot hole issues that they are trying to explain by saying what happens in the past doesn't affect the future ... but it does.

The simple fact that Thanos jumps from 2014(?) - 2023 and dies in 2023 means he never gathers the stones, never snaps his finger and makes have the living things in the universe disappear, and changes multiple points along the timeline ... they had to create many new points along the way.

Also with Loki taking the Space Stone in 2012 ... he couldn't have gathered all the stones to snap his finger, even if he did end up back in 2014.

That's just two repercussions from Endgame ... there are many, many, many more that they messed up along the way. Captain America would have remembered fighting himself back in 2012 when he went to get the scepter with the Mind Stone, etc.

This is a way to create the "Multi-Verse", but they are not explaining it that way ... though, they may be trying to introduce it with "Agents of Shield" since they are using the Multi-Verse this season.

They are behind the curve, and it's likely a bad way to go since DC has already started the multi-verse with their TV shows. Looks like they are copying them, instead of telling their own stories ... not a good move by Marvel in this case.
    I will patiently wait till they "Time Heist" Black Widow back to the Marvel Universe.
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

What the Hell is going on
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    I think you should go back in time and prevent time-travel from ever becoming a thing in TV shows and movies.

Though of course, that would be sorta hypocritical...
    True. But if Thanos really wanted to carry out his ultimate agenda he could of time traveled back and prevented the "Big Bang".
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by JaeP View Post
    True. But if Thanos really wanted to carry out his ultimate agenda he could of time traveled back and prevented the "Big Bang".
    The stones were created by/after the Big Bang, so wouldn't they disappear if he travelled back that far?

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by JaeP View Post
    I will patiently wait till they "Time Heist" Black Widow back to the Marvel Universe.
    'Cuz she's very, very hawt?

Fun fact: In the comics, Black Widow was 5'8". Scarlett Johansson is 5'3".

Opus was just napping
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    'Cuz she's very, very hawt?

Fun fact: In the comics, Black Widow was 5'8". Scarlett Johansson is 5'3".

Other fun fact Emily Blunt was cast as Black Widow.

Not that there are winners or losers in that choice, but...
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12