Back up your backups...
    What the what???

Back up your backups...

I have a 3TB Western Digital external drive that was functioning as my Time Machine drive as well as the media storage for about 4000 songs and 400 or so movies. Yesterday, Apple TV suddenly couldn't access any of the media files. I check and discover the drive is running painfully slow. I try to offload the files but at about 40GB the drive freezes up.

Sooo... I spent a good portion of today offloading files one song and one movie at a time to prevent it from freezing up.

I think I've got everything I need safely offloaded from the drive but it was a reminder to keep your files backed up.
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Very true
    Last edited by Eretz; 05-03-2019 at 03:55 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm gonna use the phrase "Catch 22" even though it's not...

Just ordered a 2T but instead of being a backup, it's gonna be used to consolidate media types that are currently spread 'tween 5 computers (3 linked with One Drive) and an almost embarrassing number of externals.

The "Catch" is, the drop in cost (my first 1T cost $30 more than this 2T) prompts media... diverse media prompts more drives as backup AND to classify media (working on getting all image files on a single drive and eliminate redundant files that crop up whenever I start making transfers) and condense (edit) video to something that takes up less space but is still pleasing on a 4K (as well as editing commercials from Tee Vee).

I don't wanna depend on cloud services which may raise their prices or change a key policy at any time so I might consider an 8T to rule them all (connected to the "network" only to sync). Course, an 8T will lead to more media... and the cycle begins again.

FWIW, I'm still running a suite of ANCIENT 18G drives from the mid 2000's on rare occasions, but know that one day, they will stop syncing (all of these drives require XP or earlier just to be seen, thus 2 older machines that I keep just for that purpose).

I'm waiting for the cost of SSD to follow, but that might be a while considering we might see $30 2T by Christmas.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post

I'm waiting for the cost of SSD to follow, but that might be a while considering we might see $30 2T by Christmas.
    I agree with everything you've said but immediately move to the solid state or mircroUSB external storage for the better.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Amateurs.......
    25 600GB 15k enterprise drives up top, below, 14 1TB 10k consumer NAS drives..

RaidZ2 for the 1TB's, (I can lose up to two drives simultaneously and not lose data). the 600GB drives, 10 are Stripped mirrors pairs (can lose up to one drive per stripe, but the lost of 2 drives in the same stripe results in data loss), and 15 are straight up striped for performance.

Data from the std stripe is moved to the stripped mirrors, on the Raidz2, this is where I keep stuff I don't want to lose, and it is automatically backed up to backblaze encrypted.

rack.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    I agree with everything you've said but immediately move to the solid state or mircroUSB external storage for the better.
    SSDs are fine, although there use as long term storage is still up for debate due to the limited life span due to write limits. Spinning disks and even tape backups are still the predominant methods for long term storage.

External microusb storage is a none starter, they go bad really easy, basic static electricity can wreck them. Also, keep 3 copies of your data that you want to keep that is important to you, and shove them into a fireproof safe.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    SSDs are fine, although there use as long term storage is still up for debate due to the limited life span due to write limits. Spinning disks and even tape backups are still the predominant methods for long term storage.
    Heard this too and waiting for more reliable devices to be invented in our future. The CLOUD is not appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    External microusb storage is a none starter, they go bad really easy, basic static electricity can wreck them. Also, keep 3 copies of your data that you want to keep that is important to you, and shove them into a fireproof safe.
    i was speaking of "photos" and video non-over-wrote media, backed up and stored but you have excellent points.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I use have my data and OS backed up weekly on Raid Arrays (raid 10 and raid 5), 2TB each and a single 2TB that are matched up that get's a BU run monthly and then goes into a 3 hour firesafe wrapped in waterproof container after the BU is complete. The only thing that would likely destroy my data would be a large EMP from a nuclear blast close enough that I would be dead and not care about my data anyway.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett