Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad Tattoo Idea

RoadBikeReview Member

Bad Tattoo Idea

A buddy of mine had a tattoo put on the back of his calf. It is based on a picture of his current bicycle with a big "Cannondale" written over it. Now the artist did a good job on it, but I wondered to myself what is going to happen when he changes his mind in a few years on what his favorite brand is. I likened it to getting a girlfriends name tattoo'd on yourself. Just seems like a bad idea. In the end, really don't care as it's not my leg but it left me wondering. Heck we have seen it on the forum here where a screen name depicts a certain brand only for that loyal follower to buy a new bike and then sing the praises of the new bike in posts.

I guess he didn't get a bunch of stars put all over his face.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by majbuzz View Post
    In the end, really don't care
    Well you cared enough to come to the internet and create a discussion about it.

I don't get the analogy to a girlfriends name. If he gets a new bike and it's a Trek, I don't think the bike will care that he already has a Cannondale tattoo. Will the Trek bike make him get a cover up?

What about people who get their kids name tattooed? If they have a 2nd kid, will he get mad?
    What about people who get their favorite car tattooed? Does that mean they can never own another car?
    Or people who get their pet tattooed?

Heck we have seen it on the forum here where a screen name depicts a certain brand only for that loyal follower to buy a new bike and then sing the praises of the new bike in posts.
    People can't like more than one brand?
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I don't think it's the same as a girlfriend's name. I can't really explain it but in this case the logo is just a detail on the overall image. It's not a Cannondale per se, just a bike that needed some name on it for realism.

And like any tattoo, where do you draw the line between what may or may not be relevant to the wearer in a few years. You could just as easily ask "what happens if he decides to give up riding?".

Tattoos can be like photographs too - just something to remind you of what had deep meaning etc. to you back when you got it. Kinda like looking at pictures of deceased family and friends from time to time.

For disclosure: I have an adaptation of the Greatful Dead's "steal your face" logo tattooed across my shoulders and although I don't listen to them nearly as much as I used to I'm still happy with the tat.

BTW, someone better post up Mr. Cool Ice. I can't explain that one to save my life.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    The title of your thread, "Bad Tattoo Idea" - that's redundant.

People make bad decisions all the time; you just happen to know one of them.

half-fast
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post

BTW, someone better post up Mr. Cool Ice. I can't explain that one to save my life.
    Google search for Mr. Cool Ice resulted in further puzzlement.

Who is Drake?

half-fast
    A buddy of mine had a tattoo ...
    Based on a brief search for Mr. Cool Ice and various old farts I have met over the years, this is nowhere close to bad idea territory as far as tats go.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    [QUOTE=tlg;4817295]

I don't get the analogy to a girlfriends name. If he gets a new bike and it's a Trek, I don't think the bike will care that he already has a Cannondale tattoo. Will the Trek bike make him get a cover up?

QUOTE]

You are assuming that the gals he dates are capable of reading.

Always changing.....
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Well you cared enough to come to the internet and create a discussion about it.

What about people who get their kids name tattooed? If they have a 2nd kid, will he get mad?
    What about people who get their favorite car tattooed? Does that mean they can never own another car?
    Or people who get their pet tattooed?

People can't like more than one brand?
    ^^^^ Well said. End thread.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    As a guy in Vancouver did to his bike could work...just takes a touch up

CAN O ALE

What the what???
    I resemble that remark. I'll feel pretty stupid when I start riding a recumbent...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bad Tattoo Idea-photo-1.jpg  
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy... wait.

Eddy 53:11
    I have nearly THE SAME tattoo on my right calf! Mine has a picture of my current bicycle and says, "Bikes Direct" written over it.

My other calf has a tattoo of chainring grease on it except it's really chainring grease cause' I'm a effing' noob.
    Live vicariously through yourself.
    There are no physical laws that govern the will.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Okay, okay, sorry. I typed the original post on an ipad from a train and missed a key stroke. I meant this as more of a question. I think the tattoo is pretty cool and like I stated the artist did a good job on it.

My point that I failed to lay out properly was whether time specific or item specific tattoos can be a bad idea if later in life your interests etc. change. I have my answer, so I will let this thread die and apologize to the lownge for starting it.

gazing from the shadows
    I don't get the analogy to a girlfriends name.
    Get a GF/BF name inked, break up within 6 months. So the belief among tattoo artists goes.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Get a GF/BF name inked, break up within 6 months. So the belief among tattoo artists goes.
    Does that mean he's going to break up with his Cannondale in 6 months?

Unlike women, you can have more than one bike (and of course more than one bike tattoo).
    Unless you're a polygamist.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Does that mean he's going to break up with his Cannondale in 6 months?
    Crack n fail. Likely.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bad Tattoo Idea-o-bon-jovi-570.jpg  

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    That tat is totally stupid.

Now if he'd a done "Campagnolo" - different story.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    He could've had a triple crankset tattoo. Then everyone would know how weak of a rider he was and he could never get a 2x crank.

done
    Aug 2009
    He could've had a triple crankset tattoo. Then everyone would know how weak of a rider he was and he could never get a 2x crank.
    I can't tell which is worse. The tat or those Scott bars. Ugh.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    ... and apologize to the lownge for starting it.
    Don't apologize, there's some funny stuff here!

Bike Enthusiast
    Apr 2011
    I thought about getting the Specialized "S" tattooed on me. I ride a lot of Specialized and my last name begins with an "S" so it wouldn't be a complete loss if I stopped riding Specialized. I wonder if there is a copyright infringement if I would use the "S"??
    2013 Specialized Allez Compact
    2011 Specialized Crux Pinky SS
    2012 Specialized Crux Skittles
    2015 Trek Farley 6 Fat Bike
    2011 Fuji D6 3.0

User is infamous around
    Bad Tattoo Idea-6a0120a7ed5f9d970b0148c7acddf1970c-800wi.jpg

Tattoos are great when you're young, tight, toned and 'with it'. However, 20 years later the same tattoos are an embarrassment and cause others to question your thinking process. If it's small and somewhere easily covered, no problem, or at worst you can use the "Well me and the boys had been drinking......." excuse. Ink like the picture above (or on the neck, face, knuckles, high cleavage) just ensure you to be passed over for high management positions and cause others to assume a certain level of promiscuity and/or lack of discretion (regardless whether earned or not).

I'm not against tattoos (just not for me), just against short sighted decisions.
    Quote Originally Posted by chudak View Post
    It's made with a mixture of titanium, unobtanium and the freshly harvested dew from the sweaty brows of 16 YO suburban virgins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Don't forget the ground up unicorn horn. That makes it magical.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothie7 View Post
    I thought about getting the Specialized "S" tattooed on me. I ride a lot of Specialized and my last name begins with an "S" so it wouldn't be a complete loss if I stopped riding Specialized. I wonder if there is a copyright infringement if I would use the "S"??
    They will sue you. And you'll be forced to have that portion of skin surgically removed.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by junior1210 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6a0120a7ed5f9d970b0148c7acddf1970c-800wi.jpg 
Views:	710 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	304427

Tattoos are great when you're young, tight, toned and 'with it'.
    Uhhh, she's young. But not tight, toned, or with it. And that tattoo ain't great now or 20yrs from now

Darling of The Lounge
    Uhhh, she's young. But not tight, toned, or with it. And that tattoo ain't great now or 20yrs from now
    Yeah, give it a few years and those bars will turn into ape hangers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
    My other calf has a tattoo of chainring grease on it except it's really chainring grease cause' I'm a effing' noob.
    How'd you get chainring grease on your left calf? That takes some complicated move.
    "None of us knows for sure what's out there; that's why we keep looking. Keep your faith; travel hopefully. The universe will surprise you, constantly." The 13th Doctor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast