The Beatles, Buddy Holly...not really that good in retrospect.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shirtcocker

The Beatles, Buddy Holly...not really that good in retrospect.

I mean come on...I Wanna Hold Your Hand? Paperback Writer? Utter dreck. And what's up with those nerdy glasses Buddy Holly wore...and he can't even wail on the electric guitar like Slayer. What a wimpy sound singing about young love and all that crap.

And Bob Marley and the Grateful Dead? Just an excuse to get high. Elvis? He couldn't even act. Miles Davis? A bunch of screeching.

"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

Yo no fui.
    Werd, but I really don't like listening to many Beatles songs anymore ...
    "It is better to conquer yourself, than to win a thousand battles." -Dhammapada

"Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

"A true cyclist sometimes has to bite the dust before he can reach the stars. Laurent Fignon

waterproof*
    Ha ha... cute and all...

If you know what's good for you, you will not mention Merle Haggard.
    * not actually a Rock Star

Hi
    May 2010
    You know who else sucks? That moat's-art guy.

Fred the Clydesdale
    Merle Haggard!
    Member of Team Collin, a group of ordinary moreons going to extraordinary levels of awesome in the fight against cancer.

Love conquers all. God is love. Jesus is love personified. Figure it out.

Always changing.....
    I never was a Beatles fan. Just didn't like listening to their stuff. They were like [email protected] hipsters from that era.

You Phillip mah census
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. Janis Joplin, Leonard Cohen and above all Nick Drake..WHY!!???
    There ain't no sanity clause... (Chico Marx)

I accidentally..a burrito. (Old Fuji)

Norman Wisdom, Johnny, Joey, Dee Dee, good times... (Phil Oakey)

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by sir duke View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. Janis Joplin, Leonard Cohen and above all Nick Drake..WHY!!???
    ODing on drugs is good for your career. Cohen? No clue why that depressing sadsack is so popular.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

Covfefe
    Man, you beotches...

[being facetious... kinda]

Back from the dead
    Back when The Beatles were playing the Cavern Club and the Reeperbahn, they were raw, man. They spoke for us, man. We went to see them all the time, man. Then they sold out. Now they speak for their corporate masters. Freakin' posers, man!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones II View Post
    I mean come on...I Wanna Hold Your Hand? Paperback Writer? Utter dreck. And what's up with those nerdy glasses Buddy Holly wore...and he can't even wail on the electric guitar like Slayer. What a wimpy sound singing about young love and all that crap.

And Bob Marley and the Grateful Dead? Just an excuse to get high. Elvis? He couldn't even act. Miles Davis? A bunch of screeching.

later beatles i'll probably give you, and gladly too

but they had some unreal singles, i remember a couple the first time i heard them havent forgotten them since. maybe it was a time, an era kind of thing, but it was just so different, just sounded so different and so effin cool...

all my lovin, cant buy me love...remember them like it was yesterday

waterproof*
    Quote Originally Posted by rider9 View Post
    Merle Haggard!
    * not actually a Rock Star

RoadBikeReview Member
    It begs the question, were they that good?

Listen to Sergeant Peppers, Magical Mystery Tour, Abbey Road and Let it Be sometime and tell me they were everything the band was before.

Paperback writer? awesome. Octopus Garden- really? At a certain point, when you get so big that no one can tell you that maybe this sucks, at the point when you no longer have to worry about whether or not you next album will sell... things go downhill.

Same with Elvis- The early stuff is fantastic. Does that excuse the dreck that followed?
    Quote Originally Posted by JustTooBig View Post
    Your Logical-to-Dumbass ratio is way out of kilter, buddy

Failboat Captian
    Beatles? meh. not a fan, and never was.
    "I'm tired of people not treating me like the gift that I am."
    -Paula Abdul

Quote Originally Posted by ToF View Post
    What type of tang does it have?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    The ones I made had a poo tang.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The problem with the Beatles is that they've been played into the ground. For as many years as they lasted, for all the hits and wide variety, that took talent and skill.

Before becoming famous in America, they worked their butts off in the clubs, 6 days a week or so, for years. They weren't some pre-fabricated celebrity group.

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyTooBad View Post
    Beatles? meh. not a fan, and never was.
    How about Radiohead? Overrated at the least. Started out as a mediocre pop band and evolved into a bunch of knob twiddlers who think their own sh*t doesn't stink. Hell...anyone could release an album of overprocessed loops and ethereal wailing vocals they recorded on their Mac and it would sound about the same.

Oh...and also The Flaming Lips. I liked them better as a punk bar band than I do as a hipper than hip indie band whose singer doesn't know he's singing way out of tune.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment

And Bob Marley and the Grateful Dead? Just an excuse to get high. Elvis? He couldn't even act. Miles Davis? A bunch of screeching...
    Every one of those folks changed the music we listened to forever and for the better.

I'll grant you that The King couldn't act worth a darn.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    How about Radiohead? Overrated at the least. Started out as a mediocre pop band and evolved into a bunch of knob twiddlers who think their own sh*t doesn't stink. Hell...anyone could release an album of overprocessed loops and ethereal wailing vocals they recorded on their Mac and it would sound about the same.

Oh...and also The Flaming Lips. I liked them better as a punk bar band than I do as a hipper than hip indie band whose singer doesn't know he's singing way out of tune.

radiohead i agree...way overrated. ok computer ok, bends ok, in rainbows ok. yeah an ok band. but not great imo, some of it makes me squirm, other parts just put me to sleep. again, good, but not great.

lips i like quite a bit, soft bulletin and yoshii is nice and quiet. good original stuff i never got to quite a bit of it, but i kinda like their style even now. they dont seem to take themselves too seriously, not too self important i like that

how bout nick cave?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Husker Du called it...

Some things never change
    Some things stay the same
    Some things rearranged
    One thing I know for sure, your heroes always die
    Quote Originally Posted by JustTooBig View Post
    Your Logical-to-Dumbass ratio is way out of kilter, buddy

Genitive Declensioner

stirring
    the
    pot
    Big Fan of the Callipygian Way
    "The collards tore my wife's stomach up and with her being pregnant and constipated it made for a smelly ride to the cabin in north Georgia." -gut
    "The term "steeping" brings to mind "tea-bagging" and, on far too many levels, I'm simply not comfortable with that." -antonio_b
    "People think maggots are a bad thing, but I'll bet they ate most of the feces he has been sitting in for the last two years. Go maggots! -Mohair

Covfefe

Yeah but Radiohead and The Flaming Lips > Coldplay.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotophage View Post
    It begs the question, were they that good?

Listen to Sergeant Peppers, Magical Mystery Tour, Abbey Road and Let it Be sometime and tell me they were everything the band was before.

Paperback writer? awesome. Octopus Garden- really? At a certain point, when you get so big that no one can tell you that maybe this sucks, at the point when you no longer have to worry about whether or not you next album will sell... things go downhill.

Same with Elvis- The early stuff is fantastic. Does that excuse the dreck that followed?
    Yet the white album might be the greatest record ever produced? Yes, even considering Rocky Raccoon.

Guitar Gently Weeps, Happiness is a warm gun, dear prudence, back in the USSR, do it in the road...some of their best stuff and that's just Disc 1...

and Abbey Road is also an excellent album--outside of Ocotpus's Garden, the rest of that LP is pretty damn brilliant. Besides, Ringo needs to have a song or two now and again.

I was never a huge beatles fan until I got to know the White Album more intimately. I considered Beatles fandom to be a cop out (like liking U2 or the Police--says nothing about a person musically) and what people who really don't like music say to appease people who ask them "who's your favorite band"?.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011

Have you seen Radiohead live? any dismissive opinion regarding their merits as a band must be tempered with seeing them live. they're just about one of the best live performance acts around.

I'm not a muse fan but I hesitate to call them a **** band because they're supposed to be great in concert.

and not everyone can twiddle knobs and get ethereal with the help of a macbook...bands like radiohead and sigur ros are unique because they are good. me + my midi processor, soundforge and a sequencer wouldn't be able to create music that's anywhere near as good.

to date, best show i've ever seen was Radiohead @ the Bill Graham, 1997 OK Computer. That show is still permanently etched into my memory. (Sigur Ros at the Dorothy Chandler was pretty epic, too.)

RoadBikeReview Member

Yeah the Beatles

sure sucked. They only changed music, the culture, etc. How many of the bands today will be discussed or even remembered 40 years after their breakup. Funny thing is the Beatles have sold more music than anyone - period.

42 years after they split up and whenever a collection such as thiere Number 1 or Anthology series comes out a hell of a lot of people go out and buy the stuff. Hell I've bought some of thier music mutil times. 45's, album, 8-track, cassette, CD and now digital.

Shirtcocker
    I think when I graduated high school in 1983 that I listed my 2 favorite bands as Echo and the Bunnymen and U2...I don't really listen to either today and both degenerated into parodies of themselves after a while.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast