The benefits of country living. - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    My back yard. Yeah, how can I live like this.
    and yet you have a gas grill....... dismissed....LOL..... get ye a stick burner..That apple tree will provide an endless supply of sticks!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

banned
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    That apple tree will provide an endless supply of sticks!
    Pet rabbits love to gnaw on twigs from an apple tree. Give them to the local animal shelter or the rabbit rescue groups.

banned
    Jul 2013
    Pet golden eagles love to gnaw on pet rabbits.

Frog Whisperer
    Lace was gnawing on a bunny the other day, 11 1/2 years, her very first (as far as I know) I don't think she killed it on purpose, she just wanted to play but it quit playing..... well maybe it was playing dead....but, I don't think so

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm with you Nooky & ToG.

I live on 5 wooded acres in the middle of the Thousand Islands. I fall asleep to the crickets and frogs with a coyote howl every now & again. I breathe fresh, clean air and now find it hard to handle walking on a city street with all the vehicle fumes and the noise pollution.

I am able to bike, cross country ski, jog, hike, snow shoe, ice climb right from my back door. I can choose when I want to go into the city for fine dining.

This is my front yard:

Front yard.jpg

A view from my deck:

deer in back yard.jpg

Ice climbing in the bay where I live:

Ice climbing.jpg
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by love4himies View Post

I live on 5 wooded acres in the middle of the Thousand Islands. I fall asleep to the crickets and frogs with a coyote howl every now & again. I breathe fresh, clean air and now find it hard to handle walking on a city street with all the vehicle fumes and the noise pollution.

I am able to bike, cross country ski, jog, hike, snow shoe, ice climb right from my back door. I can choose when I want to go into the city for fine dining.

This is my front yard:
    A view from my deck:
    ok........you might have won this.......

Non non normal
    and yet you have a gas grill....... dismissed....LOL..... get ye a stick burner..That apple tree will provide an endless supply of sticks!
    Nothing says "I am lazy" like a foodie owning a gas grill. I have a propane smoker too. I have two charcoal grills and am just too rushed to take the extra 5 or 10 minutes to fire them up.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

Not Banned

This is my front yard:

Front yard.jpg

A view from my deck:

deer in back yard.jpg

Ice climbing.jpg
    I had a girlfriend who had a cabin on Grindstone Island. IS lovely there, the winter, not so much

and last, ya probably can't find a decent taco without getting on a plane
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Frog Whisperer
    Good thing I am not crazy about taco's, probably the last thing i would order at a Mexican restaurant. We have a pretty high Hispanic population around here (my oldest daughter is working for the literacy council, teaching English as a second language, mostly to migrant/permanent residents) There is a little mom and pop place 7 miles from me in Portland, WI that has GREAT authentic food. If you want to hold a conversation with the owners, you better speak Spanish. Food is excellent and dirt cheap!

Non non normal
    Good thing I am not crazy about taco's, probably the last thing i would order at a Mexican restaurant. We have a pretty high Hispanic population around here (my oldest daughter is working for the literacy council, teaching English as a second language, mostly to migrant/permanent residents) There is a little mom and pop place 7 miles from me in Portland, WI that has GREAT authentic food. If you want to hold a conversation with the owners, you better speak Spanish. Food is excellent and dirt cheap!
    Tacos????? Who needs a taco when you can have steamed crabs and corn on the cob.

No crabs, no problem. Just make yerself a fried spam and cheese sammich with white bread.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

gazing from the shadows
    Mexican food is everywhere. But in certain places the competition is greater, and the mediocre places tend not to thrive. You see a mostly empty place in WI, might just be slow. You see a mostly empty place in So Cal.... go elsewhere.

My test dish for a new (standard type) Mex place? Carnitas. I like a good taco, but Carnitas done right is a very good sign for the rest of menu.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Mexican food is everywhere. But in certain places the competition is greater, and the mediocre places tend not to thrive. You see a mostly empty place in WI, might just be slow. You see a mostly empty place in So Cal.... go elsewhere.

My test dish for a new (standard type) Mex place? Carnitas. I like a good taco, but Carnitas done right is a very good sign for the rest of menu.
    my wife's acid test is tamales! I like burrito's and the salsa best be hot enough. The place i am talking about has good salsa and "white boy" salsa, they KNOW what to bring me without me asking by now!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    I had a girlfriend who had a cabin on Grindstone Island. IS lovely there, the winter, not so much

and last, ya probably can't find a decent taco without getting on a plane
    The winter is EXCELLENT for x country skiing, snowshoeing, or skidooing. Just got to do what the weather lets you do. Get out and enjoy it. We ski on the river or the bay all the time, right from our front door (or back, which ever way we are going).

I'm not much of a taco person, more of a fat, juicy steak and freshly harvested potatoes from the local farmers market.

Edit:

OK, the one downfall is the damn bike is on a trainer for 5 months of the year.

Oh yeah, I forgot boating on our boat, but city folk are able to do that too:

Boating in 1000 Islands.jpg
    Last edited by love4himies; 08-15-2015 at 05:01 AM.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

Not Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post

I have traveled most of this country and while Mexican food is everywhere, good, real Mexican food isn't. Hell, one has to struggle to find the level of Mexican food we have in San Diego a hundred miles up the coast in Orange County and L.A..
    Carnitas is a great benchmark, if you ever need a recipe let me know, I have it down.
    Crabs, Steak, both delicious but can be found most places and are also pretty pricey. When you get quality $2 Tacos it is a blessing.

Not Banned
    my wife's acid test is tamales! I like burrito's and the salsa best be hot enough. The place i am talking about has good salsa and "white boy" salsa, they KNOW what to bring me without me asking by now!
    Burritos es para los Gueros, la tortilla de Mais es mas mejor

Not Banned
    The winter is EXCELLENT for x country skiing, snowshoeing, or skidooing. Just got to do what the weather lets you do. Get out and enjoy it. We ski on the river or the bay all the time, right from our front door (or back, which ever way we are going).

I'm not much of a taco person, more of a fat, juicy steak and freshly harvested potatoes from the local farmers market.

Edit:

OK, the one downfall is the damn bike is on a trainer for 5 months of the year.

Oh yeah, I forgot boating on our boat, but city folk are able to do that too:

Boating in 1000 Islands.jpg
    yeah, I only have about 364 rideable days a year

Frog Whisperer
    bite me

User is infamous around
    Two views from my back yardSUNP0002.JPGSUNP0003.JPG
    and one from my front yard.IMG_20150424_113756.jpg
    Not purely country, but ain't in the city neither. Neighbors have horses, goats, and a couple of dammed roosters (that one day WILL die). Biggest downside is the heat can be nasty (100+), but on the upside there is a Chinese joint that will deliver this far from town (about 15 minutes) for no extra charge. Lotsa quail and roadrunners too. Coyotes and javelina are around but tent to stay on the BLM land about a mile away. Not Heaven, but it'll do.....
    Quote Originally Posted by chudak View Post
    It's made with a mixture of titanium, unobtanium and the freshly harvested dew from the sweaty brows of 16 YO suburban virgins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Don't forget the ground up unicorn horn. That makes it magical.

banned
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by junior1210 View Post
    Two views from my back yard ...
    Want to add a few pet alpacas?

Frog Whisperer
    Not purely country, but ain't in the city neither. Neighbors have horses, goats, and a couple of dammed roosters (that one day WILL die). Biggest downside is the heat can be nasty (100+), but on the upside there is a Chinese joint that will deliver this far from town (about 15 minutes) for no extra charge. Lotsa quail and roadrunners too. Coyotes and javelina are around but tent to stay on the BLM land about a mile away. Not Heaven, but it'll do.....
    Lemme guess, you don't live in the rain forest?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Now I'm jealous.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yup, gotta have some elbow room. Nice view of the mountain.

The roosters would be good for me, love to get up early.

Boobies!
    I suppose we qualify as "country"--35 miles from NYC, but we are next to Harriman State Park.

Country roads to ride on and most of the mod cons.
    o_sideyard[1].jpg
    o_pond_a[1].jpg

Attachment 308343
    Attachment 308344
    Attachment 308345
    Last edited by paredown; 08-15-2015 at 06:19 PM.
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
    -Hanlon's Razor

Not Banned
    bite me
    and I can ride my bike to my local velodrome. I'm thinking about a trailer for the track bike that I can pull on the rando

Not Banned
    Yup, gotta have some elbow room. Nice view of the mountain.

The roosters would be good for me, love to get up early.
    lovely, looks like New Mexico

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast