The benefits of country living. - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    User is infamous around
    Close. South East Az. Close enough to Mexico that any rides longer than 30 miles had better be north, east, or west unless you take your passport.
    Quote Originally Posted by chudak View Post
    It's made with a mixture of titanium, unobtanium and the freshly harvested dew from the sweaty brows of 16 YO suburban virgins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Don't forget the ground up unicorn horn. That makes it magical.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    Carnitas is a great benchmark, if you ever need a recipe let me know, I have it down.

Let me guess. Does it start with, "Heat up a bunch of lard...."???

I pretty much order it out because 1) it is very tasty and 2) I will never make it at home because I'm not going to have a fryer full of lard in the house. Some temptations I know I am too weak to resist.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    my wife's acid test is tamales!
    That's a good one. Lots of ways those can go wrong, but wonderful when done right!
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have settled into a happy medium, with some small town living. Sure I have close neighbors but there are only about 6800 people in town.
    Riding is year round as well as just about any other outdoor activity you could ask for, even snow stuff if your willing to drive a couple hours.

View from my front yard.
    IMG_20140914_183749.jpg

Typical morning ride
    IMG_20150706_062401893_HDR-2.jpg

Also 2 hours from Vegas if I feel like I need something more....I never do.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Let me guess. Does it start with, "Heat up a bunch of lard...."???

I pretty much order it out because 1) it is very tasty and 2) I will never make it at home because I'm not going to have a fryer full of lard in the house. Some temptations I know I am too weak to resist.
    needs very little lard. Dry Rub Pork Shoulder with Salt and Pepper, wrap in plastic tightly, leave overnight. Make a paste of Olive Oil, Cumin and pulverived Mexican Oregano, rub shoulder down. Toss in a cast iron skillet with a small bit of Manteca and just lightly brown it. Toss in a crock pot. Add Chopped With Onion, Jalapeno, Garlic. Quarter an orange, squeeze juice in and toss in the quarter (with peel) add Cinnamon Stick, Bay Leaf. Pour in a bottle of Mexican Coke (really). Slow cook for 5hrs. It will fall apart and pull quite easily. After pulling, let cool a bit. Heat some manteca (or oil) in a skillet and toss in the pulled meat to get some crispy edges. That's all.
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Not Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by junior1210 View Post
    Close. South East Az. Close enough to Mexico that any rides longer than 30 miles had better be north, east, or west unless you take your passport.
    Bisbee / Tombstone Zone?
    Does Bisbee still have that cool vintage Trailer PArk?

and as a note in general
    If you don't like Tacos you've never had a good one
    If you've had a good one, you will more than like them

User is infamous around
    Just north in Hereford. The trailer park is still there too.

Not Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by junior1210 View Post
    Just north in Hereford. The trailer park is still there too.
    So those mountains are to the SE? Miller Peak? or is that looking toward Bisbee

Not Banned
    quick Map of my neighborhood. Pink Dot is my home. Ts are quality Taco Shops. Google Markers are Breweries, Tap Houses and/or Public Houses. 10 breweries on the 30th Street corridor alone, all of them good.
    There is a Park / Open Space going off the left side. It has a Canyon (Florida Canyon running N/S top to bottom) cutting through it. There's is single track on both sides. A Velodrome (333 meter outdoor, races Tues and Friday) and on the Mesa a great CX course. Just to the west of that is the World famous SD Zoo and Balba Park (trails there too). Head down Pershing Street and you are downtown, or at the Baseball field in 8 minutes by bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    So Cal has a lot to offer, but for me the price paid to live there is too steep.

And I'm not talking monetary means.

Not Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
    So Cal has a lot to offer, but for me the price paid to live there is too steep.

And I'm not talking monetary means.
    you look like you are in St. George. MTB Heaven, Gooseberry Mesa. I wholly approve of your locale, I grew up in an area like that (size wise, probably smaller). I could live in a place like that, except I'd miss the beach

banned
    Aug 2012
    Look at the houses south of Grouse Mountain, a minor ski hill in North Vancouver, B.C., Canada.

It's really nice there too.

You can do a virtual walk of the neighborhood via Google street view.

Not Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by myhui View Post
    Look at the houses south of Grouse Mountain, a minor ski hill in North Vancouver, B.C., Canada.

It's really nice there too.

You can do a virtual walk of the neighborhood via Google street view.
    Kelowna is nice, but folks there mostly winter in AZ

neither have great tacos

User is infamous around
    So those mountains are to the SE? Miller Peak? or is that looking toward Bisbee
    Those mtns were to the west. They were the Huachuca Mtns and Canelo Hills, but Miller peak is in there along with Coronado National Monument and Carr peak. Bisbee sits on the southern end of the Mule Mtns. What's nice is I can see the Dragoon Mtns (although they don't photograph well) when I look from the other direction in my driveway.

You might have remembered seeing the Monument Fire in the news a few years back. That was those mtns pictured, except they were on fire. I got lucky, if the fire had spread 1/2 mile farther, I (and several hundred others) would have lost our homes. As it was, only several dozen people (one bar, a restaurant, and a couple small businesses) were lost.
    Quote Originally Posted by chudak View Post
    It's made with a mixture of titanium, unobtanium and the freshly harvested dew from the sweaty brows of 16 YO suburban virgins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Don't forget the ground up unicorn horn. That makes it magical.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Kelowna is nice, but folks there mostly winter in AZ

neither have great tacos
    Love Kelowna. One of the places I would love to retire (and winter in AZ). The wine is superb, the fresh fruit is wonderful, the biking along the trestles is divine and if you want to stay for a bit in the winter or come back early in the spring, you can ski at Big White and golf at one of the many golf courses. Of course it's on fire right now, so we'll see how much is left.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

Train to Nowhere
    Jan 2006
    Here on the north coast we have many seasons.....the rainy season....crab season...wild flower season...salmon season....abalone season and repeat.

RoadBikeReview Member
    One of our farmers' markets has a "booth" (actually, a couple of people with coolers and a steamer on the street corner) that sells fresh tamales. Probably slapped together in their kitchen, but John swears by them. The vegetable one is okay, doesn't thrill me.

Taco place near us is abysmal, which is depressing. Gotta make our own; old neighborhood had a couple of excellent, authentic options, including a truck.

Enough other food options exist to distract us from lack of tacos, though I still think it's inexcusable that a lousy taco place is allowed to exist in this city. But Domino's exists, too, some things remain unexplained.....

When we travel, we devour Mexican food the way tourists in NYC seek out pizza.

RoadBikeReview Member
    [QUOTE=atpjunkie;4903812]you look like you are in St. George. MTB Heaven, Gooseberry Mesa. I wholly approve of your locale, I grew up in an area like that (size wise, probably smaller). I could live in a place like that, except I'd miss the beach[/QUOTE

Santa Clara actually, a small suburb of St. George. I'm glad you approve.

The road riding is actually really good as well.

The ocean is tough to replace but having only lived in Cali for 2 years it never became a huge part of my life.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    and yet you have a gas grill....... dismissed....LOL..... get ye a stick burner..That apple tree will provide an endless supply of sticks!
    Its not a gas "grill" it's an upside down broiler.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    needs very little lard. Dry Rub Pork Shoulder with Salt and Pepper, wrap in plastic tightly, leave overnight. Make a paste of Olive Oil, Cumin and pulverived Mexican Oregano, rub shoulder down. Toss in a cast iron skillet with a small bit of Manteca and just lightly brown it. Toss in a crock pot. Add Chopped With Onion, Jalapeno, Garlic. Quarter an orange, squeeze juice in and toss in the quarter (with peel) add Cinnamon Stick, Bay Leaf. Pour in a bottle of Mexican Coke (really). Slow cook for 5hrs. It will fall apart and pull quite easily. After pulling, let cool a bit. Heat some manteca (or oil) in a skillet and toss in the pulled meat to get some crispy edges. That's all.
    Awesome! Thank you for that! I make a Cuban style beef dish very similar to this. It's a family fave!
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I grew up on a farm and I love my space... I'm on piece of that land still but we are chiseled down to an acre and a half. It's pretty though. I like a Jersey. It gets hot, it gets cold (I love to XC ski)... I'm 10 minutes to the beach where I can ride bone flat or I can stay around me where I get about 1,200' per 20 miles. Under an hour to NYC on an express... My daughter went in yesterday to see Book of Mormon for a second time. I get the NYC skyline along the bay I many of my rides. I love the marshes no rivers. We have eagles and osprey and red tails like crazy. All manner of water fowl, heron, swans... Fresh seafood. Farm fresh produce still. Great local theater and restaurants too. A few places to get a killer taco. We have a huge Mexican population. On my ride today I went past Redford (Red Gables) and Bon Jovi's old estates. Minutes later I was in salty clamdigger country still showing the ravages of Sandy. I love it here. But it's getting too damn expensive... Great school system!

Even an growing up on the farm, my father always said, never live more than 100 miles from a Rolls Royce dealer. You lose all the culture. You all live in some wonderful places that's for sure.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

rkb
    fifth time's a charm
    I haven't posted in a few years, got busy with life and stuff. But I am still riding and now reside in the Seattle area. I love where I live but I do miss the long country rides of the midwest.

But then there's the beer of the PNW and I realize it's an acceptable trade.

Train to Nowhere
    Jan 2006
    A little sumpin' from a past life........
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPcfDlBWELM

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by norton55 View Post
    A little sumpin' from a past life........
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPcfDlBWELM
    THAT is the kind of stuff that completely freaks me out. No thanks. I'll take the rust belt, I have family in NE Ohio and I love it, I love my NJ/NYC area... But that country thing... I'm not wired for that.

Not Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    Awesome! Thank you for that! I make a Cuban style beef dish very similar to this. It's a family fave!
    use the full orange (all 4 quarters) I don't know if I was clear about that. Ya have to fry it at the end to get it right.
    Chop White Onion, Garlic, Jalapenos and peeled Tomatillos into fairly big pieces. Roast it all in the oven or on an open flame. Toss all in a food processor and grind. Instant Verde Sauce, add some serranos if you want more heat

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast