Best Sports Car or Luxury Car under $80K? - Page 19
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 17181920 LastLast
    feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Interesting article about how the future of the automotive business (i.e. how fast it transitions to EVs, and the economic impacts on the industry) will be determined by a BIG, high-stakes political fight between the oil business and electric utilities:

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...ic-car-1729429

excerpt:

The oil industry is trying to crush the booming electric car movement.

Groups backed by industry giants like Exxon Mobil and the Koch empire are waging a state-by-state, multimillion-dollar battle to squelch utilities’ plans to build charging stations across the country. Environmentalists call the fight a reprise of the “Who Killed the Electric Car?” battles that doomed an earlier generation of battery-driven vehicles in the 1990s.

Oil-backed groups have challenged electric companies’ plans in 10 states, according to utility commission filings reviewed by POLITICO, waging regulatory and lobbying campaigns against the proposals. The showdown is taking place as utilities, eager to increase the demand for power, push for approval to build charging networks in locations such as shopping centers and rest stops in more than half the nation.

“Fossil fuel interests control 90 percent of the transportation fuel market in the U.S. and are really feeling threatened,” said Gina Coplon-Newfield, director of the electric vehicle initiative at the Sierra Club...
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

Sweet Potato Kugel
    This will eventually go the way of P.O. After eleven years of chosening the next model to buy, Miami will be under water and the world will be over fighting for the last fruit.

In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    This will eventually go the way of P.O. After eleven years of chosening the next model to buy, Miami will be under water and the world will be over fighting for the last fruit.

I always thought Waterworld was at least an okay film.

And who knows... it may be more a documentary than anything else someday.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    No Miatas, but I could rent a Ferarri F430 for just over $2k/day.

I do need to drive my father to a doctor's appointment in the city tomorrow

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    No Miatas, but I could rent a Ferrari F430 for just over $2k/day.

Christine: "Alright Dad, it's thirty minutes to the doctor's office... we'll be there in ten. Hold on to your liver!"

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    No Miatas, but I could rent a Ferarri F430 for just over $2k/day.

But you could buy a Miata for $2k and keep it for lots of days.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    But you could buy a Miata for $2k and keep it for lots of days.
    Ah, the old adage, "Give someone a Ferrari, they'll drive for a day, teach someone to Miata, they'll drive for many days."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Current front runners are the base Porsche Boxster (sports car), and the Tesla Model S (lux sedan).
    I've been a Porsche fan-boy since I literally was a boy, but if it was my money, I'd get the Tesla S Unless you just plan on driving the car as a toy and have something else as a daily driver, I don't think owning a Porsche makes much sense for most people.

I've watched countless YouTube videos of the Model S just smokin' all sorts of high horsepower cars... and barely making any noise doing it. It's just hard to beat the torque of an electric motor, combined with 4 wheel drive and advanced traction control. Not to mention the Model S is more practical as a daily driver as it has 4 doors.

It's my understanding that in addition to the car, you also need to buy a charging station for your home which is like a few thousand dollars. (So I've heard.) So figure that into your costs estimates as well.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield View Post
    I've been a Porsche fan-boy since I literally was a boy, but if it was my money, I'd get the Tesla S Unless you just plan on driving the car as a toy and have something else as a daily driver, I don't think owning a Porsche makes much sense for most people.

I've watched countless YouTube videos of the Model S just smokin' all sorts of high horsepower cars... and barely making any noise doing it. It's just hard to beat the torque of an electric motor, combined with 4 wheel drive and advanced traction control. Not to mention the Model S is more practical as a daily driver as it has 4 doors.

It's my understanding that in addition to the car, you also need to buy a charging station for your home which is like a few thousand dollars. (So I've heard.) So figure that into your costs estimates as well.
    Hey, thanks for the advice. Model S Ludicrouses (Ludicri?) are indeed hyper-fast (0-60 in 2.3 secs or somesuch )! Though even so, I'd say for me now the front-runners are the Model 3 and the Boxster S.

The Model S is just a mite too much on the big and heavy side pour moi, I think, though I'll certainly still give one a test drive. I've already been driven around in one, and liked it a lot (other than the size).

Oh, and heads-up... you don't need to spend 'thousands' on your home charging station if you get a Tesla (or any EV, I think). Teslas even come with a 110V mobile charger for free that you can plug into any run-of-the-mill outlet, though the recharge time with that will be quite slow (you'd get only about 30 miles of range overnight... still, if that's your daily commute, you'd won't have to go to a supercharger stall very often).

What'd you really want for home though is a 240-volt high-amp charger, assuming your garage has the outlet/wiring already (some do), or you're willing to upgrade it.

The higher-power charger Tesla sells is $500, it'll charge you completely overnight, and there are no doubt third-party units that are cheaper.

Here's Tesla's:

https://shop.tesla.com/product/silver-wall-connector

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002
    Hey, thanks for the advice. Model S Ludicrouses (Ludicri?) are indeed hyper-fast (0-60 in 2.3 secs or somesuch )! Though even so, I'd say for me now the front-runners are the Model 3 and the Boxster S.

The Model S is just a mite too much on the big and heavy side pour moi, I think, though I'll certainly still give one a test drive. I've already been driven around in one, and liked it a lot (other than the size).

Oh, and heads-up... you don't need to spend 'thousands' on your home charging station if you get a Tesla (or any EV, I think). Teslas even come with a 110V mobile charger for free that you can plug into any run-of-the-mill outlet, though the recharge time with that will be quite slow (you'd get only about 30 miles of range overnight... still, if that's your daily commute, you'd won't have to go to a supercharger stall very often).

What'd you really want for home though is a 240-volt high-amp charger, assuming your garage has the outlet/wiring already (some do), or you're willing to upgrade it.

The higher-power charger Tesla sells is $500, it'll charge you completely overnight, and there are no doubt third-party units that are cheaper.

Here's Tesla's:

https://shop.tesla.com/product/silver-wall-connector

I like Porches too. They have great classic style w/o being over the top like a Lambo or Ferrari. I live in a dense city. It is pretty interesting watching people trying to drive the, "Super cars" in stop and go traffic.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Looks like the new P100D+ will have Plaid mode

Also, you can use your dryer plug and run a heavy duty extension cord, it will charge significantly faster than a std 15 or 20A circuit (110 or 220v). Dryer circuits are usually 40 to 60A circuits.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    Ditto on that! I saw a slightly used one in my town for $50k at a time when I had some inheritance to play with. It was very tempting.
    I did not know TTs were that much. They just look like nice VWs/lesser Porches. I need to drive one.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    Looks like the new [Model S] P100D+ will have Plaid mode
    Ludicrous already knocks you into next week (0-60 in 2.4 secs!), so to me Plaid mode will just be making the rubble bounce. But who knows, some ppl just live to be worked over by G-forces.

Also, you can use your dryer plug and run a heavy duty extension cord, it will charge significantly faster than a std 15 or 20A circuit (110 or 220v). Dryer circuits are usually 40 to 60A circuits.
    That’s a very good point, you don’t even really need something like the dedicated Tesla Wall Connector, which is hardwired and can handle 60 amps. Many dryer outlets are rated at either 30 or 50 amps (depending on how ancient), aka 24A or 40A continuous, and 220 volts.

This works out to a charge rate of 5KW or 8.8KW per hour, which is 20-30 miles of range per hour for a Model 3. You can charge overnight very effectively with that, using just the included Tesla Mobile Connector, aka just a cord that can fit a whole bunch of different adapters.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Hmm. At the outset, thought I was going to do what I did last time, i.e. test drive or rent/Turo at least a half-dozen cars, and then pick the best one.

BUT, I'm so increasingly annoyed by the Koch Brothers/Exxon/Faux News etc. climate denial bulls**t (and the magnitude of the problem), I'm thinkin' I'll just get whatever EV is best for me... probably a Model 3 Long Range AWD.

Might Turo a Boxster just for the fun of it too, since it was the non-EV that intrigued me most – guess it could seduce me, and I should know what I'm missing. Maybe a Miata too. But, I ain't gonna try out 6+ cars this time out.

Guess I gotta act soon, though... Tesla's EV fed tax credit, what's left of it, expires December 31. And that's for delivery, not ordering.

TLDR, likely winner:

gazing from the shadows
    ... Model 3 Long Range AWD.
    Might Turo a Boxster ... Miata too.
    Three is a very good number to test drive, decision making wise. You should be in position to quickly make up your mind after that.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    If you have the money... The Taycan looks pretty damn sweet....

Hmm. At the outset, thought I was going to do what I did last time, i.e. test drive or rent/Turo at least a half-dozen cars, and then pick the best one.

BUT, I'm so increasingly annoyed by the Koch Brothers/Exxon/Faux News etc. climate denial bulls**t (and the magnitude of the problem), I'm thinkin' I'll just get whatever EV is best for me... probably a Model 3 Long Range AWD.

Might Turo a Boxster just for the fun of it too, since it was the non-EV that intrigued me most – guess it could seduce me, and I should know what I'm missing. Maybe a Miata too. But, I ain't gonna try out 6+ cars this time out.

Guess I gotta act soon, though... Tesla's EV fed tax credit, what's left of it, expires December 31. And that's for delivery, not ordering.

TLDR, likely winner:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by config View Post
    Well it really depends on what your plans are for the vehicle. If it's a daily driver, Porsche Boxter or 911 is a bit impractical. A Tesla Model S would suit better. For long drives, I'd go with the Porsche.

Test drove the Model S a couple times and IMHO there is nothing out there that compares technologically, and the acceleration is intoxicating! Although I'm not a big fan of their interior, a bit flat for my taste.
    Smart choice! From the early onset my recommendation was the Tesla Model S but with the release of the 2020 Corvette, hmmm, I'm not sure now. I may consider one in the next couple of years - since this is a bike forum) just not a car I can take on my bike trips:-| (but I already have a wagon for that;-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Smart choice! From the early onset my recommendation was the Tesla Model S but with the release of the 2020 Corvette, hmmm, I'm not sure now. I may consider one in the next couple of years - since this is a bike forum) just not a car I can take on my bike trips:-| (but I already have a wagon for that;-)
    Just get a Seasucker...I'm taking my bike to the shore in a few weeks:

Cat 6
    Love my Hellcat gas guzzler.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by colnagoG60 View Post
    Just get a Seasucker...I'm taking my bike to the shore in a few weeks:

Very nice (the car ain't bad either;-)!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Very nice (the car ain't bad either;-)!!!
    Actually it is kinda bad. I'll have to take it in this week for its 4th issue since purchase in late July. That's not counting the (3) punctures in the OE Cup2s, in the first 3 weeks, and the transmission replacement (recall), and half exhaust replacement (leak) which took place prior to delivery. Lord help me if it's an issue with the rotors. I'll have to take out a 2nd mortgage to replace.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckice View Post
    Love my Hellcat gas guzzler.
    Those are fun. Demon is funner.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by colnagoG60 View Post
    Actually it is kinda bad. I'll have to take it in this week for its 4th issue since purchase in late July. That's not counting the (3) punctures in the OE Cup2s, in the first 3 weeks, and the transmission replacement (recall), and half exhaust replacement (leak) which took place prior to delivery. Lord help me if it's an issue with the rotors. I'll have to take out a 2nd mortgage to replace.
    You should never have to replace the carbon ceramic rotors... unless you somehow manage to cook them.. which is near impossible unless your name is Nico Rosberg....

Sadly because they are part of the brake system, they are most likely not covered by warranty in the event there is an issue.

Cat 6
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski View Post
    Those are fun. Demon is funner.
    Well, yeah...I'm hopeful in a Charger Redeye at some point and then consider upgrade before the true muscle car concept disappears forever.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    You should never have to replace the carbon ceramic rotors... unless you somehow manage to cook them.. which is near impossible unless your name is Nico Rosberg....

Sadly because they are part of the brake system, they are most likely not covered by warranty in the event there is an issue.
    I hope not, but from what I'm hearing/reading, Porsche is backing off the, "they should last the life of the car", to, "they should last 100k-130k miles of normal street driving". That, and "they are susceptible to damage from being hit by the wheels when removing". I'm thinking of going to wheel studs to cope with that possibility. I've also heard of numbers as low as after (30) track events will necessitate replacement.

I'm not sure if the original owner tracked it, but some of the techs were familiar with the car, which was semi-daily'ed , and had 30k when I got it. Im struggling to keep the miles down, but driving to work once a week, and running errands around town, I'm averaging about 1k miles/mo...I can see me hitting 6-figures in a few years if I'm fortunate enough to keep it.

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 17181920 LastLast