Best Sports Car or Luxury Car under $80K? - Page 22
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 20212223 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    It's kinda both.

But, haven't decided for sure yet.
    You're saying a Tesla Model 3 is a both a luxury car and a sports car? I think most people would say that it is neither.

Matnlely Dregaend
    Quote Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
    You're saying a Tesla Model 3 is a both a luxury car and a sports car? I think most people would say that it is neither.
    Those people haven't driven one, or at least not a performance version. Having just bought my second Model 3 Performance (for the wife because she refused to drive anything but mine), I can say that after owning nothing but stick performance cars for THIRTY years (including S4 Audi, Mitsubishi Evo, and Subaru WRX), I will never buy one again. Yeah it's that good, and I find the interior better than the Audi, which is saying something. As quiet no, but way nicer in an Apple vs PC kind of way. The performance is stellar in all but psycho-level cornering, and the technology is years ahead of anything else, especially the battery. Enhanced autopilot is even mildly useful, something I can't honestly say about any other driving assist technology I've tried. Right now you can get a performance "unicorn" version that skips the 20 inch wheels (useless due to potholes here in the Northeast) and fancy brakes (don't need them with regen) for under $50K after the federal tax credit. Try buying an M3 for that much!
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSmile View Post
    Those people haven't driven one, or at least not a performance version.
    Four door sedans, regardless of how well they handle, are not sports cars.

Matnlely Dregaend
    Four door sedans, regardless of how well they handle, are not sports cars.

If your only relevant possession is a golf bag, I'll agree.
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSmile View Post
    If your only relevant possession is a golf bag, I'll agree.
    The definition of a sports car depends on whether someone plays golf?

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    The definition of a sports car depends on whether someone plays golf?
    Think he's mocking the real-world practicality of sports cars. Or lack thereof.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    On the sports car thing, interesting stat: EVs now outsell cars with manual transmissions.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...-transmission/
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    As DrSmile said, those ppl haven't driven one.

But I have. And as I said, yeah, the Mod 3 is 'kinda' both. The performance is pretty sports car-like, with amazing and instant acceleration and good handling.

Far as the 'lux' goes, the interior is quite nice, what with the attractive and comfortable white vegan leather seats, panoramic glass roof, and a kit and kaboodle of cool tech features controlled by a far better UI than what you'll get from the Germans (my mom drives a Mercedes).

It's a very good and possibly paradigm-changing car, you really should take one out for a spin sometime.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    As DrSmile said, those ppl haven't driven one.

But I have. And as I said, yeah, the Mod 3 is 'kinda' both. The performance is pretty sports car-like, with amazing and instant acceleration and good handling.

Far as the 'lux' goes, the interior is quite nice, what with the attractive and comfortable white vegan leather seats, panoramic glass roof, and a kit and kaboodle of cool tech features controlled by a far better UI than what you'll get from the Germans (my mom drives a Mercedes).

It's a very good and possibly paradigm-changing car, you really should take one out for a spin sometime.
    I have driven a Model 3. It's a nice car, and it handles really well for a 4-door sedan, but it isn't a sports car. The interior is (technologically) very cool, but it's very spartan. I wouldn't call it luxurious.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    I have driven a Model 3. It's a nice car, and it handles really well for a 4-door sedan, but it isn't a sports car. The interior is (technologically) very cool, but it's very spartan. I wouldn't call it luxurious.
    Perhaps spartan is the new lux (tech company disrupts again!).

All I know is, I like it.

Matnlely Dregaend
    Tonight I got a 5% performance increase in my car through an OTA update. When's the first... I mean, last time any other car company has done that?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    All I know is, I like it.
    That's all that really matters.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well, looking into leasing, but it may be difficult... apparently, I don't have a credit score.

It's not a bad credit score, nor a good one, it's LITERALLY no credit score. On account of not using any credit at all over the past six plus years. Hmm. And here I thought I was just bein' fiscally responsible. 'parently not.

So, we'll see what can be done here. Or, I could just buy a car outright for cash, straight up, rather than pay some possibly inflated interest rate. Bleah.
    I ran into this a few years ago with my Grandma. She had never used credit. Never. Verizon would not give her a cell phone, because she had no credit. I ended up getting a phone for her through my plan. What a mess that was.

Back on topic, my buddy has a Tesla and it's a pretty cool car. Amazingly quick and just overall really cool. It wouldn't work for me as a primary vehicle, it doesn't have enough range (180 miles max when it gets cold up here). But it would be a fun "around town" car.
    Liars often accuse you of lying. - Steve Maraboli

The word of the week = racist.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Sadly, a bad credit score is better than no credit score at all.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    Sadly, a bad credit score is better than no credit score at all.
    Okay. If you're in your late 40's without a credit score, obviously you've paid your vehicles, insurance policies up front in cash outright for twenty-some-odd years. Obviously you do not have cable, phone nor the appartmente contract on credit as you pay cash outright. You pay everything via debit card or in cash.

That is an awesome thing.

Chapeau!

Last edited by Eretz; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:25 PM.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Well, test drove a Model S yesterday. And the Model 3 again.

Sigh. This is now hard. I thought it was all about the 3, but the S is amazing, and in a quite different way than the 3.

And the back-to-back test drives also clarified some things about the 3 that I didn't fully appreciate before... the 3's handling isn't just 'good for a heavy car', it's VERY good, period. Tossable, flickable, even.

Way better than it should be given the specs, 'til you realize that the center-of-grav is about as low as a Ferrari (thanks to the half-ton of batteries under the floor), the front/rear weight distro is about 50/50, and the lack of a heavy engine up front means that you have a sorta kinda 'mid-engine' effect rotationally-speaking. It all works together well.

The 3's just really good that way, and the 3 Performance must be borderline amazing handling-wise (only drove the Long-Range again though).

BUT on the downside, test-driving the S definitely exposes some flaws in the 3.

For example, I thought the 3 had good seats... and then I sat in the S. Ahhhh. Heaven. Wide enough, perfect shape, nice bolstering, great support, all that. And I could find a perfect driving position in the S quickly, while in the 3, you dial and dial and dial it in, and it's still only 'pretty good'.

And the 3 has a TINY steering wheel... it's supposed to give you more control (as in a race car), and it probably does, but the effect on me was to make me squeeze and tense my shoulders in... probably not great on a long ride.

The S on the other hand screams 'grand touring'... you get all the room and all the comfort, and a 370-mile range (so much for 'EVs can't do roadtrips'). And it's even a bit quieter than the 3.

The ride quality on the S reinforces the GT theme by being positively ‘magic carpet ride’ level, thanks to the adaptive air suspension. The 3’s ride is ‘good enough’ by comparison, but quite conventional-feeling.

Acceleration? The S is faster than the 3 LR on paper, but feels about the same in practice for some reason – I'd guess that the greater mass of the S takes a little something off the big initial 'jump', though certainly not the 0-60 time (which is 3.7 secs). You can still slice through traffic like an Olympic sprinter through a senior citizen buffet line.

Handling? Not as good as the 3 but remarkably 'tossable' for such a big and heavy car, and for the same reasons stated above for the 3. Interior visibility is good all the way around, and better than the 3 directly aft.

And, despite the clever, super-minimalist UI of the 3, I prefer the S UI, with its small but info-packed screen behind the steering wheel, and its even-larger-than-3 main screen that's fully integrated into the center dash.

Drawbacks? You mean, besides the price? The one I really noticed was that it has a low roofline, so entry/exit can be a chore if you're at all tall. You have good headroom sitting down (thanks to the panoramic roof), but squeezing out can be a bit of a b!tch, especially if you have the seats set high vertically. The negs of having awesome exterior styling lines, I guess.

Speaking of which, yes, the S is a prettier car in person than the 3, and it's not all that close. Not that the 3 is ugly. It's like the 3 is Chloe Sevigny, cute, nuthin' wrong there, but the S is Scarlett Johansson or Eva Green. Which is what happens when you rip off the styling of Aston Martin, who makes arguably the best-looking large sedans in the world.

Oh, and I guess the S’s size isn't the most convenient either. About a foot longer and 5 inches wider than the 3. It'll completely fill up some tight parking spaces.

So, decisions, decisions. S is significantly better overall, but is it $30,000 better? And I still haven't even driven the Cayman/Boxster yet.

sidenote: For funsies, the dealer guy let me launch an S Performance in Ludicrous Mode, which is 0-60 in 2.4 seconds(!!!). What does this feel like?

Well, I felt it in my jaw and lower face, and in spades, so for me it felt like a pro wrestler move called the Crippler Crossface™.

YMMV, but it's definitely something, man.

Last edited by SystemShock; 6 Days Ago at 06:55 AM.

Master debator.
    The model S is going to out-accelerate everything from a stop including crotch rockets. I'm all about acceleration, it's the most useful metric for passing safely, embarrassing other sports cars, and just getting out of traffic log jams.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Cat 6
    The 3 is fairly ugly imo, especially from the front. Inside isn't that comfy either. Get an S. Or better yet something actually fun. :shrug:

Master debator.
    Those wheels on the 3 that look like cheap K-Mart hub caps my god who thought that was a good idea?
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Sweet Potato Kugel

So, decisions, decisions. ...

Do NOT rush to decisions. Weigh the entirety of everything and/or possible everything.

We can wait.

No hurry. Another decade only will expose clarity. Please.

What's after Gen Z?

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    Do NOT rush to decisions. Weigh the entirety of everything and/or possible everything.

We can wait.

No hurry. Another decade only will expose clarity. Please.
    You do get that it’s not about you, right?

What's after Gen Z?
    Gen ZZ Top?

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    Those wheels on the 3 that look like cheap K-Mart hub caps my god who thought that was a good idea?
    Those are the aero caps, they come off if you want. The wheels underneath look better.

Also, those are the base wheels, you can opt for better ones.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    You do get that it’s not about you, right?
    With 34,000 views stemming over 2 years and having 550 replies, its the best thread on RoadBikeReview. I'll wager your thread has opened many eyes on what's out there in the market. Contrarily, we would hate to see it end with a vehicle purchase.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    With 34,000 views stemming over 2 years and having 550 replies, its the best thread on RoadBikeReview. I'll wager your thread has opened many eyes on what's out there in the market. Contrarily, we would hate to see it end with a vehicle purchase.
    Ok, so you don't get that it's not all about you. Gotcha.

But that's okay too... and if the thread has helped anyone, great. And have no fear Eretz, I'm in no hurry. I keep cars for a decade, and it's a MAJOR purchase (only homes are bigger), so I take my damn time. EVERY time.

But just as a heads-up... 'I Pooped a Leaf' is actually the best RBR thread.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    The model S is going to out-accelerate everything from a stop including crotch rockets. I'm all about acceleration, it's the most useful metric for passing safely, embarrassing other sports cars, and just getting out of traffic log jams.
    I agree, but I noticed when driving the Teslas that the amount of stupid sh*t I did went up dramatically.

It's just ridiculous how much instant torque you have on hand, so you feel like you can do ANYTHING... and you're pretty much right. Problem is, everyone ELSE isn't really expecting you to go to warp speed instantaneously, so they can easily lane-change right into your path. Then it's 'good luck Charlie'.

I kinda got around this by eventually trying to be TWO lanes over when blasting past traffic snarl-ups and drivers who were essentially playing 'happy grabass' with themselves, but there isn't always that much room.

TLDR version:
    Best thing about a Tesla in traffic... you can do most ANYTHING.
    Most dangerous thing about a Tesla in traffic... you can do most ANYTHING.

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 20212223 LastLast