Best Sports Car or Luxury Car under $80K? - Page 4
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski View Post
    ..... and go for a lightly used 911. I've been looking at 997s but am waiting til the 991 drops a bit more in price.
    If you go this way, beware; certain water-cooled 911 motors have an "intermediate bearing" that if it fails, it will destroy your motor. An upgrade will cost you about $3000 (it's an 'engine-out' procedure). A blown motor will cost you $10k easily.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post

This one will be the first really nice car I've ever owned. I've been adamantly frugal to this point (my current ride is good, but was $23K out-the-door)...
    In what world is 23 large frugal?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    There are so many sports or sporty vehicles for under $80k. Depends on what you are looking for?

Convertible? Coupe? Hatch? Need to seat 4 actual adults comfortably? AWD or RWD?

I've always wanted an M3 but am partial to Audi's too (wouldn't mind an S4/RS4).

Or a Porsche Cayman (step up from the Boxster but step below the 911s or Carreras) are another option.

Lotus Elise is an awesome lightweight handles like a go cart option.

Honda S2000's are great roadsters too but it dictates how it wants to be driven (not necessarily easy to drive like an Audi S4 is).

Corvettes are under $80k if you don't get the Z01 (or ZL1...whatever it is trim).

Or the high HP Camaro's or Dodge Chargers.

Or a turbo AWD rally inspired car like a Subaru STi or a Lancer Evolution (RIP on that).

List goes on and on and it depends on what floats your boat.

I've had a lightly modified Evolution X running on E85 (cheap man's race fuel) and that was a fun vehicle. Over 100+ HP and 100+ ft-lbs more torque over the stock trim running E85 with a custom tune. Miss that car but having a family makes little time for a sports car. Fastest car I've owned.

Good luck as fun car shopping can be a hoot.

a little too stoked
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    In what world is 23 large frugal?
    Average new car or truck transaction price in the US is around $33k, i.e. 10 large more than I paid (and I paid cash).

Lemme guess... you’re one of those guys who only ever buys low-end cars, and used. nttawwt.

RoadBikeReview Member
    M4/M5 or Lexus GS F get the nod from me. Did I miss your intentions for it? Is it going to be a daily driver or weekend/fair-weather toy?
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

30 mpdb
    Since "best" is subjective, I'll just throw out my sports car short list: Cayman/Boxster, Evora, and Exige*. Also can't go wrong with the Vette for price to performance, plus it'll be even better after the engine moves to the middle.

*Hopefully the next gen Exige will be NHTSB crash tested so we can get them state-side...

gazing from the shadows
    (who makes your car anyway, Prison Motors Inc?)
    100% Japanese assembled using 100% made in Japan parts, and Subaru ain't a for profit prison.

Go test drive the lux cars, narrow your options down to a top three, look at reviews and such, then make your call.

I would just go to a sales person and tell them you are looking for a car in the 50-70k price range and "show me what you have." Repeat at other dealers. Five minutes of driving will trump hours of online research.

Choosing the right sports car is not easy, but choosing a luxury car is pretty much like going out for dinner at a nice place; lots of options none of which are bad but some of which sound better to you.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

a little too stoked
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    If you go this way, beware; certain water-cooled 911 motors have an "intermediate bearing" that if it fails, it will destroy your motor.

An upgrade will cost you about $3000 (it's an 'engine-out' procedure). A blown motor will cost you $10k easily.
    Good catch.

Yes, apparently there's an infamous fault with 911s, Caymans, and Boxsters manufactured from 1997 through 2008... an IMS ('intermediate shaft) bearing failure that can indeed destroy the engine. There was even a class-action lawsuit against Porsche over it that they wound up settling.

So yeah, if I were to go used, I would definitely avoid those model years. But I probably won't go used.

And... shame on Porsche. That's one of the worst eff-ups I can recall hearing about... and I was personally a victim of the infamously bad mid-'90s Ford Taurus transmissions that would consistently blow up after 80-100K miles, and which were designed in such a way that it would cost so much to repair it as to render the car not worth fixing.

MH: I want to go like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Sys: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that the children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

a little too stoked
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc View Post
    BTW Tesla has AWD option and an air suspension so you can raise it up on snow days.
    All Teslas now have AWD and air suspension standard, except for the Model 3.

Daddy likes.

MH: I want to go like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    VW GTI 4-door, 6-spd manual, 18 inch wheels with Michelin Pilot SuperSport tires, best sound system.

Test drive one. You'll be sold.

If you really want to spurge, get the R version.

a little too stoked
    I'm amazed no one has mentioned BMW (unless I missed it)

(not a fan myself but shows how far they have fallen)
    I hear good things about the M2 and M3.

But here in the Silicon Valley, the 3-Series just seems to be the obnoxiously common 'standard car' that everybody drives. Which takes away from the desirability.

Beemers are basically invisible here, because so many ppl have 'em.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Average new car or truck transaction price in the US is around $33k, i.e. 10 large more than I paid (and I paid cash).

Lemme guess... you’re one of those guys who only ever buys low-end cars, and used. nttawwt.

I am. But the nature of my question was that until reading your take I assumed everyone who referred to themselves as "adamantly frugal" did.

Anyway, I don't know much about cars but from what I hear when buying this type of car, looking into repair, regular maintenance costs and parts availability might be prudent. I guess with some of these cars the simple stuff can be a bigger deal then you might be familiar with from owning cars for the commoner.

a little too stoked
    Tesla technology is impressive but has a the build quality of a Mazda.
    This is quite true, sad to say. Though allegedly the Model S has finally improved to 'average' quality, according to Consumer Reports surveys.

(It is kinda silly how Tesla's world-class in technology but second-rate in getting their production line act together, isn't it?)

My wife has a new XC60 T6 and I may go for an Allroad soon, but I wouldn't spend more than $50k on a Volvo or an Audi.

The Mustang GT just got bumped to 460hp and is hard to beat for the money. I think they may do a new 50th anniversary Bullitt version for 2018.

I could never own a Vette.
    I don't know what it is, but Volvos, Mustangs, and Corvettes all fail to blow my skirt up for some reason. Even though I can plainly see that Vette exterior styling has improved quite a bit in recent years.

Skip the Boxster/Cayman and go for a lightly used 911. I've been looking at 997s but am waiting til the 991 drops a bit more in price.
    Anyway for my money I'd say drive a Mustang GT til you can afford a 911.
    To be honest, I can afford a low-end 911 already (Carrera), if I'm willing to bump up my budget a bit. I kinda just don't want to do it for a 911.

Why? Well, it seems like the Cayman/Boxster has the better layout (mid-engine) compared to the 911, which has stubbornly remained rear-engine. And the 911 is a few hundred lbs heavier too, which, along with the engine layout, would seem to give the handling edge to the Cayman/Boxster, all else being close to equal.

Yes, the 911 has more power, and is faster in straight line, but I don't really care much if I go from 0 to 60 in 4.6 seconds as opposed to 3.6, it's more about being 'fast ENOUGH' and having terrific handling.

Nothing against the 911, it is an iconic sports car, but it also feels like it's a victim of tradition at this point. They can't change it that much, even to improve it, or the purists/fanbase scream a blue fit.

a little too stoked
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    I am. But the nature of my question was that until reading your take I assumed everyone who referred to themselves as "adamantly frugal" did.
    It's the Silicon Valley. If you drive around in a $23K car here, you're not only frugal, it's possibly assumed that you live in poverty.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've got one word for you......... Corvette

Seriously, try one.
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    It's the Silicon Valley. If you drive around in a $23K car here, you're not only frugal, it's possibly assumed that you live in poverty.

ah, never been there but based on stereotypes I've heard that might have been my guess. From what I understand you probably stood out like the Beverley Hillbillies in a 23K car there.

Non non normal

But here in the Silicon Valley, the 3-Series just seems to be the obnoxiously common 'standard car' that everybody drives. Which takes away from the desirability.

I have several friends that are worth over a couple million each. One drives a 10 year old Camry, one drives a Suburban with 150k miles on it, and one has an M6, a 1980s Porsche 930 (55k miles, red and showroom quality), a Porsche 356 (mint condition), classic black Mustang fastback, and a whopping Ford Pickup super cab and loaded with everything.

Don't worry about what everyone is driving, or if BMWs won't impress anyone. Drive what makes you happy and does what you want it to do.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014

The M2 is a little car.. same platform oddly enough as my Mini Clubman (The Countryman shares the BMW X1 platform)...

What you should look at are the M3 (4 door) or M4 (2 door, they split the 4 and 2 door door 3 series into 3 series and 4 series).

The issue I have with the M cars.. they are too muted.. they perform well, handle well, but that raw visceral feeling is not there.. That is where the AMG's come in.. they have that visceral feeling, and they will kill you if you look at them the wrong way with the nannies turned off.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Cars are point a to point b for me.

I’d rather spend money on bikes
    PO is a liberal echo chamber.

a little too stoked
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Don't worry about what everyone is driving, or if BMWs won't impress anyone.
    I’m not. It was a general observation about the ubiquity of beemers where I live, but not as a cause for any personal concern.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Or you could go for a Ford Focus RS. You won't impress they neighbors (except perhaps the teenage boys) but you'll have a blast driving it.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by spdntrxi View Post
    Cars are point a to point b for me.

I’d rather spend money on bikes
    Yeah but he's not going to waste his money on crap Enve wheels like you did..so... the jokes on you. lol

RoadBikeReview Member
    Bmw m2

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    I’m not. It was a general observation about the ubiquity of beemers where I live, but not as a cause for any personal concern.

Fyi - No one calls them 'Bemmer' anymore (only the older generations). 'Bemmer' was replaced with 'Bummer'.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    I picked up a 2018 Audi S4 in April.

Love it!

354 horse power, 0-60 in 4.3. Nut sure what the 70-100 is, but it's real quick.

All digital dash, massage sport seats, able to drive in comfort or dynamic mode, it has a option to where the car will tell you at what speed to drive to hit all the lights green (depends in the city), google earth nav, very cool night lighting, iPhone integration, on and on.

Got it around 60k.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...t-drive-review

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast