Best Van Halen song?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Diphthong

Best Van Halen song?

I recently downloaded VH's 2-disc greatest hits onto my iPod. There are 36 "hits" to choose from. I gotta say that my favorite is still Jump. Panama is up there too but Jump is the shiz. I think it goes back to my youth. There was about a two year window in there when we had cable and thus MTV. I watched incessantly to hear Jump and I dare say I dreamed of being DLR. What's your favorite? Oh, and do you prefer the original cast with DLR or do you prefer Van Hagar???
    I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this.

I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of $hit, man.

Aug 2006
    There isn't such a thing as a best Van Halens song. They are all rubbish.
    النبي طفلة مولستر

Scary Teddy Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldozer
    I recently downloaded VH's 2-disc greatest hits onto my iPod. There are 36 "hits" to choose from. I gotta say that my favorite is still Jump. Panama is up there too but Jump is the shiz. I think it goes back to my youth. There was about a two year window in there when we had cable and thus MTV. I watched incessantly to hear Jump and I dare say I dreamed of being DLR. What's your favorite? Oh, and do you prefer the original cast with DLR or do you prefer Van Hagar???

My fave, as a guitar player, was Unchained.....that song rocked...
    "I never meant to say that the Conservatives are generally stupid. I meant to say that stupid people are generally Conservative. I believe that is so obviously and universally admitted a principle that I hardly think any gentleman will deny it." John Stuart Mill, 1866

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
    http://physasst.blogspot.com/

Feb 2006
    uhhhh,

like maybe running with teh devil was ok, but I'm not sure

Feb 2006
    tell you wut though, wedns middle school ski club night and listening to 1984 on teh way up didn't suck

Scary Teddy Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by Friction_Shifter
    uhhhh,

like maybe running with teh devil was ok, but I'm not sure

Oh, and I had to learn "Eruption" when I was like 18...that was a fun workout on the ole guitar at least...still do it once in awhile to warm up......get the ole fingers workin
    "I never meant to say that the Conservatives are generally stupid. I meant to say that stupid people are generally Conservative. I believe that is so obviously and universally admitted a principle that I hardly think any gentleman will deny it." John Stuart Mill, 1866

Shirtcocker
    I loathe Jump...anything after when Eddie went nuts and started playing keyboards suxxors for me. The whole first album contains many classics and relies on that [at the time] revolutionary guitar sound that EVH created. Unchained is a good one.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

Still On Steel
    "Finish What Ya Started."

Yeah, yeah, I know, I know .... very un-VH-like. Fabulicious Strat tone, though.
    Allez Rouge

Feb 2004

Panama...

...my favorite and Unchained a close second.The Eruption intro into You Really Got Me changed the sound of Heavy Metal in the 80's.Not for the better though.
    Charismatic Icon Animal Man

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    "Panama" if you're talking David Lee days.

During the Sammy days - though this may make me out to be a wuss - "Dreams" off of 5150. I'm pretty sure hearing this song makes me bullet-proof and I'm convinced it gives me some other pretty cool superpowers.

Speaking of the song "Dreams"... I seem to have a cloudy memory from my early youth involving the pre-MTV UHF-aired Friday-night videos (anyone remember these?) and Van Halen. Anyhow, does anyone recall a Van Halen Dreams video with teh Blue Angels?

RoadBikeReview Member
    JUMP, come on. That's not Van-Halen! I say between "Running with the devil" and "Ain't talking about love" and "unchained"

The orginal VH was the best, but VanHagar was also very good. That Gary guys sucked!!
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

Back from the dead
    "Running with the Devil" is still a favorite of mine, along with some others from that first album. "Panama" is great. "Mean Streets" has a great guitar riff that I love. I like a lot of the For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge album, even though it is fairly bombastic. And I love the guitar work on the song "Humans Being," even though the lyrics and the vocal are just horrible. That was some great atypical work for EVH. That song "Me Wise Magic" with the brief return of DLR has a certain appeal for me, although I can't explain why.

The only song I hate more than "Jump" is "Why Can't This be Love?" Awful stuff.

Scary Teddy Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by golzy
    "Panama" if you're talking David Lee days.

During the Sammy days - though this may make me out to be a wuss - "Dreams" off of 5150. I'm pretty sure hearing this song makes me bullet-proof and I'm convinced it gives me some other pretty cool superpowers.

Speaking of the song "Dreams"... I seem to have a cloudy memory from my early youth involving the pre-MTV UHF-aired Friday-night videos (anyone remember these?) and Van Halen. Anyhow, does anyone recall a Van Halen Dreams video with teh Blue Angels?

yep..they had a video wit teh Bleu Angles, but I'm not sure wat song it was fer...

Diphthong
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRT BOY
    JUMP, come on. That's not Van-Halen! I say between "Running with the devil" and "Ain't talking about love" and "unchained"

The orginal VH was the best, but VanHagar was also very good. That Gary guys sucked!!
    Come on??? I was an impressionable 11 year-old. Cut me some slack!!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    LOL! I liked it when it came out when I was 14, but then I wised up a few years later.
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

Have a nice day
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRT BOY
    The orginal VH was the best, but VanHagar was also very good.
    Yeah, lots of people rag on VanHagar but I really liked it. Of course I was already a VH fan *AND* and a Sammy Hagar fan, so when they joined up I thought that was pretty kick a$$. I saw them live on the 5150 tour and it was probably the most energetic rock concert I've attended.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by physasst
    yep..they had a video wit teh Bleu Angles, but I'm not sure wat song it was fer...
    I love youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRW1tmtAdWw

Diphthong

Sing it with me now

You know you want to...

Owwww!
    I get up, and nothin' gets me down
    You got it tough, I've seen the toughest around
    And I know, baby, just how you feel
    You got to roll with the punches and get to what's real

Ah, can't ya see me standin' here
    I got my back against the record machine
    I ain't the worst that you've seen
    Ah, can't ya see what I mean?

Ah, might as well jump. Jump!
    Might as well jump
    Go ahead an' jump. Jump!
    Go ahead and jump

Ow-oh! Hey, you! Who said that? Baby, how you been?
    You say you don't know, you won't know until you begin

So can't ya see me standing here
    I got my back against the record machine
    I ain't the worst that you've seen
    Ah, can't ya see what I mean?

Ah, might as well jump. Jump!
    Go ahead and jump
    Might as well jump. Jump!
    Go ahead and jump
    Jump!

(Guitar Solo)

Might as well jump. Jump!
    Go ahead and jump
    Get it in, jump. Jump!
    Go ahead and jump
    Jump! Jump! Jump! Jump!

Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat
    "I'm The One"

The guitar work is amazing.
    hang out in Podium Girls - the desperation there is way funny - terry b
    I don't get either but that is irrelevant to the comedic impact and it's resulting effect on the male centric hegemony contained therein... - svendo
    when I was a n00b there were no message boards to clutter up with trolling posts. I had to do it the hard way....standing at the mall making fun of people loudly - Platy
    ...in short, antonio_b ... it's time to embrace your inner Travis Bickle - spirito

Quiet, daddy's drinking
    Quote Originally Posted by physasst
    My fave, as a guitar player, was Unchained.....that song rocked...
    +1 same thing here, as a guitar player unchained rocked yo faece!
    Just because you won't listen to reason does not mean I have to listen to idiocy.

No collusion with the delusion

“Nationalism always breaks its promises because nationalists hate enemies in their countries more than they hate the enemies of their countries" The Guardian.

Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
    Mean Street.
    "jazz gives you large testicles"--aliensporebomb

Not Banned

any keyboard VH

was suxxors

Unchained baby detune that frickin E to D (or was it C#?) Guh guh guh

otherwise "Ain't talkin about Love"

as for video era "Hot for Teacher" great riff, GREAT video and the gawddamn double bass drum work shhheeeesh!
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie
    was suxxors

Unchained baby detune that frickin E to D (or was it C#?) Guh guh guh
    When you use drop tuning like that do you just detune all the strings one step? Or just the low E?
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

Not Banned

just the E

traditional is drop D. it makes holding the bottom 3 strings a 1-5-1 power chord.
    If you do the 'Keith Richards Lick' (barring the 4 high strings and then doing a 2 finger hammer -middle finger B string 1 fret up, ring finger D string 2 frets up) you get the 5th to the chord when just barred.
    this is the ket to Running with the Devil, Unchained and countless Rolling Stone tunes.

BTW Van Halen (like Hendrix and SRV) played in a flat version of standard E.
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

off the back
    Aztec Camera did a better version of Jump than VH did.

best song? Drop Dead Legs. nasty guitar riff

Little Guitars has always been a fave as well.

anything with Sammie sucks by definition.
    "Damn. Y'all murdered the sh*t out that mutherf***er"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast