Billionaire's hobbies...I don't get it
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Shirtcocker
    Reputation: Bocephus Jones II's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    60,637

    Billionaire's hobbies...I don't get it

    http://9news.com/acm_news.aspx?OSGNA...5-99a54930515e

    This guy flies around the world by himself in a customized jet built for the task. What is the big deal other than building a plane with a big enough fuel tank and not falling asleep? I'm no aviator, but can someone explain the skill that is involved with this?
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

  2. #2
    Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Reputation: Dave Hickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    20,473
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones II
    http://9news.com/acm_news.aspx?OSGNA...5-99a54930515e

    This guy flies around the world by himself in a customized jet built for the task. What is the big deal other than building a plane with a big enough fuel tank and not falling asleep? I'm no aviator, but can someone explain the skill that is involved with this?
    These events have lost their appeal over the years. Speed and distance records used to be a big deal in the first half of the 20th century. Back then people attempted these stunts because it was said it couldn't be done. I really don't think anyone is surprised anymore
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

    My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

  3. #3
    Not Banned
    Reputation: atpjunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    49,013

    Being Rich isn't enough

    he wants to be famous.

  4. #4
    Back from the dead
    Reputation: mohair_chair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    20,626
    The skill is building a jet powered plane that can fly around the world without refueling. That is not an easy thing to do, which is one reason why it hasn't been done until now. Jet engines are notorious for consuming fuel, so you either have to build a really, really big plane carrying tons of fuel, or develop a lot of highly efficient stuff. Perhaps some of the technology developed and lessons learned could be applied to future airplane designs.

  5. #5
    Tell them I hate them
    Reputation: drevelo66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    293
    Everybody wants to be Richard Branson...
    "Do I know what rhetorical means?"

  6. #6
    hi, I'm Larry
    Reputation: bimini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    2,254

    Now what's the better material for

    an around the world billionaie jet - Carbon or Alluminum?

    Do you think he used Shimano props or Campy?

    Do you think they wil start a Billionair Round the world jet review forum?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones II
    http://9news.com/acm_news.aspx?OSGNA...5-99a54930515e

    This guy flies around the world by himself in a customized jet built for the task. What is the big deal other than building a plane with a big enough fuel tank and not falling asleep? I'm no aviator, but can someone explain the skill that is involved with this?

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones II
    http://9news.com/acm_news.aspx?OSGNA...5-99a54930515e

    This guy flies around the world by himself in a customized jet built for the task. What is the big deal other than building a plane with a big enough fuel tank and not falling asleep? I'm no aviator, but can someone explain the skill that is involved with this?
    It's a bit more challenging than that. Airplane design is one element: too big a fuel tank, and the plane becomes too heavy for the engines to lift; add more engine power, and you burn more fuel. So the real challenge becomes almost a glider/ballooning exercise of finding the tailwinds to get you there, because fuel alone won't do it. The skill is mostly in choosing the route and making adjustments on the fly.

    As far as reasons behind it, it was all a marketing ploy for Virgin Airlines, which was getting like 10M hits a day on its website with people tracking the flight.

  8. #8
    Back from the dead
    Reputation: mohair_chair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    20,626
    Quote Originally Posted by tjeanloz
    ...it was all a marketing ploy for Virgin Airlines, which was getting like 10M hits a day on its website with people tracking the flight.
    I flew Virgin Atlantic from San Francisco to London last December, and I'm sure I had less leg room and space than Fossett did on his around the world flight. It was by far the worst experience I've ever had on a plane, and it lasted 11 hours. Virgin Atlantic is nothing but a cattle car and I'll never fly it again.

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by mohair_chair
    I flew Virgin Atlantic from San Francisco to London last December, and I'm sure I had less leg room and space than Fossett did on his around the world flight. It was by far the worst experience I've ever had on a plane, and it lasted 11 hours. Virgin Atlantic is nothing but a cattle car and I'll never fly it again.
    Virgin is a microcosm of the British Imperial attitude. Their first class is the most ridiculously over-indulgent flight you'll ever be on (stand up bar, massuese roaming the aisle, manicurist at work, etc., etc.) and their coach class is quite possibly the worst coach class in the history of air travel. The disparity is incredible.

  10. #10
    Palm trees & sunshine!
    Reputation: KenB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    24,200
    Quote Originally Posted by mohair_chair
    The skill is building a jet powered plane that can fly around the world without refueling. That is not an easy thing to do, which is one reason why it hasn't been done until now. Jet engines are notorious for consuming fuel, so you either have to build a really, really big plane carrying tons of fuel, or develop a lot of highly efficient stuff. Perhaps some of the technology developed and lessons learned could be applied to future airplane designs.
    Exactly. It's this type of R&D that drove the space program -- something from which we draw significant benefit from on a daily basis.

    He could have pi**ed it away on a new yacht. At least the rest of humanity may benefit from this later on down the road.

  11. #11
    Misfit Toy
    Reputation: snapdragen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,415
    Wow, Virgin Atlantic must've changed in the last few years. My folks flew to London 3-4 years ago, Mom said she felt like a princess. Couldn't stop raving about the flight, the food, the goodie bag. I guess all good things must end.

    Oh, I don't want to be Richard Branson, I just want Richard Branson
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

    Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    2,270
    Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen
    Oh, I don't want to be Richard Branson, I just want Richard Branson
    Hi, My name is Richard Branson. Where do you live? Post a pic.

  13. #13
    Banned forever.....or not
    Reputation: MR_GRUMPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    24,114
    Billionare's are just like other people. Some like to gather even more money and power, some like to fly around the world, some like to give "things" away, and some like to race bikes.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    .
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

    I>U

    Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

    If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

    If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

  14. #14
    On your left!
    Reputation: racerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,299

    Better forum idea

    Quote Originally Posted by bimini
    an around the world billionaie jet - Carbon or Alluminum?

    Do you think he used Shimano props or Campy?

    Do you think they wil start a Billionair Round the world jet review forum?
    Stewardess Fridays!!
    Not in the mood?! Mood's a thing for cattle and love play... not fighting.

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: giovanni sartori's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,017

    Virgin isn't too bab

    While the disparity between coach class and first class is large so is the amount you pay. I've flown from the West Coast to London over 20 times on at least 10 Airlines and I would rate Virgin second or third behind Air New Zealand and British Airways.

Similar Threads

  1. The Job Interview and Racing
    By lexington476 in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 11-10-2004, 10:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.