Bruised ribs are the suxxor
    RoadBikeReview Member

Bruised ribs are the suxxor

On a hike last week I was crossing a small creek that ran under some late season snow. The snow failed and I dropped 2-3 feet - one foot into the creak - but my full weight landing on my side on the remaining snow, with my elbow for cushioning just at the bottom of the rib cage. Now I hate laughing, breathing hard, sleeping on my left side, and certain other random motions that I can't quite specify, but get reminded quickly that I hate them nontheless. On the bright side, I am learning the dignified elegance of restrained coughs and sneezes as alternatives to my usual Loud American versions.

I've even been reduced to not riding fixed gear because the breathing and standing can hurt...

It's the Suxxor.

corning my own beef
    Quote Originally Posted by PdxMark
    ... Now I hate laughing, breathing hard, sleeping on my left side, and certain other random motions that I can't quite specify,
    It's the Suxxor.
    I would suggest that you refrain from laughing, breathing hard, sleeping on your left side, and performing certain other random motions (not specified) that might cause discomfort.

When present discomfort eases, please disregard the advice found above.

You're welcome.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People who say, "Laughter is the best medicine.." have never been on the receiving end of a morphine drip..

ноожеяз ай вщоw?
    -VaughnA

A fool and his money were damned lucky to have bumped into each other in the first place.

Frog Whisperer
    and do NOT sneeze or cough
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JustTooBig
    I would suggest that you refrain from laughing, breathing hard, sleeping on your left side, and performing certain other random motions (not specified) that might cause discomfort.

When present discomfort eases, please disregard the advice found above.

You're welcome.
    You must be a physician, cuz in years past, that was the advice I'd get for various other injury-related pains. I'll PM my insurance info to you...

Proud luddite
    Yeah, I have felt your pain and it is no fun. I'm a side sleeper too, so sleeping on sore ribs was pretty awful.

My accident was about 3 years ago, riding my bike and the front wheel got stuck in a rut in the road. I went down, my ribs hitting the corner of the concrete curb at full force as I was going about 22 mph or so. The good news was my ribs are nice and strong and amazingly didn't break....but the bad news was dealing with those sore ribs!

Hope you heal soon.

Seat's not level
    Cracked a couple ribs when I broke my boat in half many years ago. It hurt. Solution for the pain was to go out drinking. Laughing make it hurt even worse About 10 margaritas later, everything was funny. Even the increased pain was funny which didn't help either which just fed the problem. The solution was to drink more.
    • This forum requires that you wait 2 days between posts. Please try again in 17 hours.

corning my own beef
    Quote Originally Posted by PdxMark
    You must be a physician, cuz in years past, that was the advice I'd get for various other injury-related pains. I'll PM my insurance info to you...
    I put my Billing Dept on unpaid leave due to the sagging economy, so we no longer bill insurance companies directly. Please submit all of your credit card information at your earliest convenience.

I also suggest a follow-up consultation within the next 10 days so your condition ran be re-evaluated. That can easily be done my email, but only after your credit card information has been securely transmitted.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People who say, "Laughter is the best medicine.." have never been on the receiving end of a morphine drip..

ноожеяз ай вщоw?
    -VaughnA

A fool and his money were damned lucky to have bumped into each other in the first place.