Building new garage, how many doors. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    The garage on our home has a single door 8 x 18’ and Hurricane rated because I am in FL. We can park two cars side by side, my Explorer and wife’s Odyssey to give you an idea of size.
    When the springs break, I can lift the door by myself so you won’t be stranded.
    If the door will be on the 32’ side of the building, I’d look at doing two 12’ w x 8’ tall doors. A little more front end cost for hardware and wider driveway for access, but that would give you plenty of room to get vehicles and other equipment in and out of the building.
    Last edited by cdhbrad; 07-03-2019 at 06:57 AM.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    Looking at probably a 24' x 32' garage. I like the look of two garage doors, but one seems to be more practical. The wife likes two so she will be "guided" in better and not park as crooked or as close to me., What sayest thou? This will be in addition to the 36" entry door.
    I built a 24 x 32 and my wife said it was too big

she was wrong, there is no such thing
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post

I just finished a 50' x 100' steel for a client. I can't shake the feeling that that is the size garage I need.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
    I just finished a 50' x 100' steel for a client. I can't shake the feeling that that is the size garage I need.
    Not if his name is Jay Leno.

Attached Images Attached Images

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    I agree with this post. Mine is similar.. although the garage is pretty large, I can fit 4 cars in it in a 2 x 2 configuration. Fortunately, I only have 2 cars.. and 4 karaks, and a paddle board. I don't have a garage door on the rear, but I do have double doors that open, about 7 feet wide, plenty to get the kayaks and paddle boards in and out.

Also, you would need to have 2 springs fail, if that happens at the same time, you have a bigger issue, more than likely an incorrectly installed door. I have a single insulated massive door, and even without the springs I can open it solo. Unless you get a solid wood garage door, you should still be able to open it, even without the springs (it would take some effort though)

A single large opening gives you more options in my opinion,
    We have a two car driveway that centers on the left half of our 24x40 garage. I also have a 16' flatbed trailer that sits on the right side of the driveway. I have the Honda on the left and the Caterham on the right with a single overhead door. there is enough room to get the Caterham in and out without having to move the trailer. That wouldn't be the case if I had two single doors.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001

Wives need to understand that when it comes to garage or work shop space, like with boats, bicycles, and fly rods, the number needed is equal to the current inventory, plus one. I put it in terms she can understand, same as pairs of shoes and purses: current inventory plus one. "Ah," she said; "Now I get it."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001
    nOOky,

Is the garage door or doors going to be on the 24' side or the 32' side? I'm still inclined to think that a double wide single door on a load bearing wall side will be troublesome unless you have enough height to accommodate the deeper header beam that will be required.

Master debator.
    The 32' side, along with the smaller service door. I haven't talked with the guy about the height yet, the estimate says 18' x 7' door.
    Last edited by nOOky; 07-03-2019 at 11:15 AM.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Opus was just napping
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    Not if his name is Jay Leno.

Or Tony Stark

In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve98501 View Post
    nOOky,

Is the garage door or doors going to be on the 24' side or the 32' side? I'm still inclined to think that a double wide single door on a load bearing wall side will be troublesome unless you have enough height to accommodate the deeper header beam that will be required.
    structurally, either is easy enough to accomplish
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    structurally, either is easy enough to accomplish
    But the cost difference will be noticeable.

Master debator.
    I have no choice which side the door goes on as it's only going to be accessible on the one long side. The shorter sides are locked in by terrain features, and the back long side is on the property line.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12