Building new garage, how many doors.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Master debator.

Building new garage, how many doors.

Looking at probably a 24' x 32' garage. I like the look of two garage doors, but one seems to be more practical. The wife likes two so she will be "guided" in better and not park as crooked or as close to me., What sayest thou? This will be in addition to the 36" entry door.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    I think two is better simply because those springs give out once in a while. In the twenty five years at my house I've had a spring break three times, and if your cars are inside at the time then you're stuck. Three to four hefty guys can get the door raised. But with two doors you'll at least be able to get one car out. And I'm sure a single door with a broken spring will be a lot easier to open than a double door with a broken spring.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    I think two is better simply because those springs give out once in a while. In the twenty five years at my house I've had a spring break three times, and if your cars are inside at the time then you're stuck. Three to four hefty guys can get the door raised. But with two doors you'll at least be able to get one car out. And I'm sure a single door with a broken spring will be a lot easier to open than a double door with a broken spring.
    On this note, a spring gives out the other door still works, and that car is available to use. Might even be able to jockey the other one around and out.
    Too old to ride plastic

Darling of The Lounge
    You only live once. Go for broke and get two doors.

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    Looking at probably a 24' x 32' garage. I like the look of two garage doors, but one seems to be more practical. The wife likes two so she will be "guided" in better and not park as crooked or as close to me., What sayest thou? This will be in addition to the 36" entry door.
    One.

Two doors restrict access.

I also put a single width overhead door on the back so I can roll projects out into the back yard. It also makes a nice breeze when Iím working in the garage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    One.

I also put a single width overhead door on the back so I can roll projects out into the back yard. It also makes a nice breeze when Iím working in the garage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I agree with this post. Mine is similar.. although the garage is pretty large, I can fit 4 cars in it in a 2 x 2 configuration. Fortunately, I only have 2 cars.. and 4 karaks, and a paddle board. I don't have a garage door on the rear, but I do have double doors that open, about 7 feet wide, plenty to get the kayaks and paddle boards in and out.

Also, you would need to have 2 springs fail, if that happens at the same time, you have a bigger issue, more than likely an incorrectly installed door. I have a single insulated massive door, and even without the springs I can open it solo. Unless you get a solid wood garage door, you should still be able to open it, even without the springs (it would take some effort though)

A single large opening gives you more options in my opinion,

Proud luddite
    What....you're supposed to park CARS in the garage? Shoot, I use ours for putting all of the crap that we don't want in the house and that we're too afraid to throw away. No way in hell we could get one car in there as well, let alone two.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    One.

Not if it's 24' x 32' garage. For such size, each of 2 doors can be wider.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    What....you're supposed to park CARS in the garage? Shoot, I use ours for putting all of the crap that we don't want in the house and that we're too afraid to throw away. No way in hell we could get one car in there as well, let alone two.
    Heh.. well.. right now, I cannot fit any cars into my garage.. whenever we do home improvement, or build stuff, the cars stay outside, and I move all my equipment into the center. Table Saw, Router table, planer, thickness planer, CNC router (yes.. I have a 1m x 1m CNC router but thats more of a toy).. right now, it's 3 large benches in the middle of the room being painted..

Who said garages are for cars.. 99% of the time (also, 99% of statistics are made up on the spot) garages are full of anything other than cars...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    garages are full of anything other than cars...
    I have a car, a van, a canoe, 7 bikes (including a tandem), table saw, work bench, and tons of misc. hand tools, power tools, gardening supplies, car parts, and other junk in my garage.

I wish my f-ing neighbors would learn to similarly organize their stuff so they could quit parking in front of my house all the time.

Nooky, which dimension will be the width of your garage? I think mine is 24x24 and at that width I tend to agree with Andy - having two doors would make for a tight entrance. If 36' wide, two doors might work. My preference would probably be for one door.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dir-t; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:59 AM.

Master debator.
    We will actually put two cars in it. I wanted 28' x 32' but we can't quite squeeze that extra depth out of the space we have. Our longest vehicle is currently 16' so 24' deep is okay, some trucks can get up to 21' if I ever buy a truck again it'd be a squeeze.

I think I'm liking one 18' door as I don't like the center area of two doors taken up by something my wife might run into. It won't be heated or cooled, so that's not an issue. If the opener fails I guess I'll roll it up by hand or have it fixed, or call in sick to work that day

The garage will also share a riding mower and a push mower, and some shelves for our kayaks etc.

I could branch this off into another thread about how hard it is to find a good contractor these days, especially since up north here they are so busy during the summer, but you can never find one that would work a Saturday to finish a project.

Master debator.
    The width is 32' I could go up to 36' but that would maybe require excavating and retaining wall and I don't want to do that. How do you like the 24' depth?

Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    I have a car, a van, a canoe, 7 bikes (including a tandem), table saw, work bench, and tons of misc. hand tools, power tools, gardening supplies, car parts, and other junk in my garage.

I wish my f-ing neighbors would learn to similarly organize their stuff so they could quit parking in front of my house all the time.

Nooky, which dimension will be the width of your garage? I think mine is 24x24 and at that width I tend to agree with Andy - having two doors would make for a tight entrance. If 36' wide, two doors might work. My preference would probably be for one door.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    One door. No question.

If the wife needs to be "guided", put in removable columns made of PVC pipe or wood wrapped in carpet or something soft. Then you have the best of both worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    Well that's an easy problem to solve. Inspect and replace your springs regularly. Don't wait for them to break.
    They're cheap (especially extension type). You're getting about 8yrs use between breaks. That's about right depending on your frequency. So replace them every 5-6 years.
    qualityoverheaddoor.com/blog/when-replace-garage-door-springs/
    You can expect anywhere from four to nine years of use out of torsion springs, depending on how often you use your garage door.

Or use quality springs. There are cheap non-rated springs and higher quality springs (DURA-LIFT springs meet the DASMA standard rating of 10,000 plus door open and close cycles). You can calculate how frequently to replace them.

And of course, you can open a door with a broken spring.

Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    How do you like the 24' depth?
    It's a bit tight with the workbench in there. Literally 2 feet of standing room between the van and bench. Hanging the bikes in front of the car can be a chore too. I would have been happy to lose another couple feet out of my back yard to make the garage deeper but we didn't have the option.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001
    First off, no matter what size garage you build, afterward you will wish you had built a larger one. Prior to building our new house the largest garage I'd ever had was a typical 2-car garage on a rambler, ranch style house. I had a clean slate with our house project, so I built a 24' x 36' garage, larger than I thought I would or could ever use. Haha! I wish I had built it 30' x 40' or more.

The number of garage doors to have may depend on whether the door(s) are on the long side - a bearing wall - or the narrow, or generally gable end. If the doors are on the gable end of the garage and you use roof trusses, it doesn't matter if you use one large or two smaller doors since this is a non-load bearing wall. If the door(s) are on the long side of the garage, it is likely a load bearing wall, and you need to have headers that are large enough to cover the span of the door width. With a 16' or 18' door, you will need a hefty and dimensionally large header to carry that load, which could compromise the height of the door, and you want a garage door height of at least 7', if not more. So I think this is the first (or second, after size of garage) thing you need to settle on.

If you choose two doors, which is likely if they are on the load bearing wall, I suggest that you go with 9' wide doors. I say this after designing mine with three 8'-doors along my 36' long wall. It turns out that I can't drive a full size pick-up through the 8' door without folding in the driver's side rear-view mirror. Just something to keep in mind. It's not a big deal for us because we don't and likely won't ever have a full size truck, and it turns out that our garage is so full of boats and bicycles and my work shop tools and work space that we never park a car in there anyway.

Oh, and of course, install a 36" man door on one wall, usually other than the one with the big garage doors.

A garage is a small contract project that most major contractors won't want to undertake. I think you need to find a contractor who specializes in remodeling and other smaller jobs. However, you will need to find a guy who does good flatwork for your concrete slab so that it will be perfectly smooth and level. Otherwise a garage can be a good DIY project for the summer. I was still working when we did ours. I just needed the extra help of 3 friends one Saturday when we raised the roof trusses. Mine are attic trusses, so were extra heavy, made of 2 x 8s instead of 2 x 4s; therefore the extra help. If you were in WA instead of WI I'd come over and give you a hand. But then I think building stuff is a lot of fun.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve98501 View Post
    However, you will need to find a guy who does good flatwork for your concrete slab so that it will be perfectly smooth and level.
    This, times a zillion if you live where it snows!

Our garage floor is slab-on-grade and the corners are just a wee bit lower then the middle of the floor. Every winter/spring when a snowy car gets parked in there, the snow melts, water settles in the corners (one of which is where the man-door is), then refreezes - just in time for you to slip on first thing in the morning.

If it doesn't freeze it creates a humid mold-inducing environment if not swept outside promptly.

I wish the garage was built on a footer with a very gently slope down toward the bay door.

Master debator.
    I'm constrained by the property line on two sides, and by a mature beautiful tree that I don't want to cut down or relocate. The deeper it is also affects the area we have to turn around in front of it, it will be built at the end of a driveway adjoining the neighbors land. I wanted to buy some of his land, but he won't sell it to me as he's in the process of trying to sell his entire parcel right now. I want to keep the costs down anyway as we're already over what I want to spend matching the steel siding to the house etc.

I actually built a cement block garage over a summer as a teenager with a friend. I simply do not have the time in my life right now to do it, and to get it done before winter especially.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve98501 View Post
    First off, no matter what size garage you build, afterward you will wish you had built a larger one. Prior to building our new house the largest garage I'd ever had was a typical 2-car garage on a rambler, ranch style house. I had a clean slate with our house project, so I built a 24' x 36' garage, larger than I thought I would or could ever use. Haha! I wish I had built it 30' x 40' or more.

The number of garage doors to have may depend on whether the door(s) are on the long side - a bearing wall - or the narrow, or generally gable end. If the doors are on the gable end of the garage and you use roof trusses, it doesn't matter if you use one large or two smaller doors since this is a non-load bearing wall. If the door(s) are on the long side of the garage, it is likely a load bearing wall, and you need to have headers that are large enough to cover the span of the door width. With a 16' or 18' door, you will need a hefty and dimensionally large header to carry that load, which could compromise the height of the door, and you want a garage door height of at least 7', if not more. So I think this is the first (or second, after size of garage) thing you need to settle on.

If you choose two doors, which is likely if they are on the load bearing wall, I suggest that you go with 9' wide doors. I say this after designing mine with three 8'-doors along my 36' long wall. It turns out that I can't drive a full size pick-up through the 8' door without folding in the driver's side rear-view mirror. Just something to keep in mind. It's not a big deal for us because we don't and likely won't ever have a full size truck, and it turns out that our garage is so full of boats and bicycles and my work shop tools and work space that we never park a car in there anyway.

Oh, and of course, install a 36" man door on one wall, usually other than the one with the big garage doors.

A garage is a small contract project that most major contractors won't want to undertake. I think you need to find a contractor who specializes in remodeling and other smaller jobs. However, you will need to find a guy who does good flatwork for your concrete slab so that it will be perfectly smooth and level. Otherwise a garage can be a good DIY project for the summer. I was still working when we did ours. I just needed the extra help of 3 friends one Saturday when we raised the roof trusses. Mine are attic trusses, so were extra heavy, made of 2 x 8s instead of 2 x 4s; therefore the extra help. If you were in WA instead of WI I'd come over and give you a hand. But then I think building stuff is a lot of fun.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    If you have the height and aren't planning to move, seems like a car lift could pay for itself fairly quickly.

Sweet Potato Kugel

The power of oops

Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    One door. No question.
    No questions asked on a single door.
    Last edited by Eretz; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:17 PM.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Back on tropic
    Last edited by Eretz; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:33 PM.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Back on tropics
    Last edited by Eretz; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:34 PM.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Let's Take It Up a Notch

and back on tropics.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post

My driveway can hold 4 cars, and I also have another parking area in my front yard that can hold 4 cars. I'm not lacking for parking, or anyone parking in front of my house. Like I said, I can fit both cars in with all my gear.. except when I need to use the tools, they live along the wall, with the kayaks/paddle boards/bikes can sometimes be on the wall above the tools, but are usually on the dock till the season ends (paddle board lives in the garage. I'll post a picture later.

RoadBikeReview Member
    My last house had two doors and the new one only has one door. Was not sure if I would like that but now that it is in use I really prefer the one door. Many more options for pulling things in and there have been a few times when I pulled the car in at an angle to do some work or something. Just my .02 cents.

gazing from the shadows
    The wife likes two so she will be "guided" in better and not park as crooked or as close to me.
    Paint lines on the floor, hang strings from joists. Create a lane.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast