Building a shed - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building a shed

Frog Whisperer
    How did you fasten top boards and bottom to posts? Lag or bolt through?
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by 10ae1203 View Post
    Rafters are 5/12, same as house. Ridge board is a 2x8. Setting a 16' yellow pine 2x8 on deadmen by myself was more fun than having a bunch of helpers on roofing day.
    my garage is 24 x 32, common framed roof, 12/12 pitch, like you, same as house. My wife helped me stand the gable ends up, get the ridge board on and set the first set of rafters, but I had the advantage of a 3/4 plywood floor and scaffolding to work from. From there on I single handed the whole building, sliding 1/2 plywood (not OSB) up the ladder was fun..... NOT!
    Last edited by Touch0Gray; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:46 PM.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

half-fast
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    Ok then, that's more like it. Got a lot more complicated seeing the initial steps! You two have help or do it all yourselves? You hand dig the post holes? What is the yellow thing? The red power shovel is cute, yours? You going to put a little wood stove in it to heat it? Do you need heat?

Edit... Never mind post hole question., I have nightmares about post holes. I put a fence in for my mom in PA. I dug 150 potholes, 36 inches deep through clay. (clamshell type digger.) 55 years ago and my hands still hurt!
    It's complicated enough for a home project.

I had help for roof - my brother, a pal, and the boy.

I also had help from a couple carpenter friend of friends. They were ok, just ok, but I needed help. They meant well, and were reasonably affordable.

The yellow thing was a power auger, it **** the bed, and I traded it for another. The red thing is a dingo, and it is also rented. They are surprisingly pricey.

How did you fasten top boards and bottom to posts? Lag or bolt through?
    Top bearing plates are nailed to get it together, then through-bolted (hot dip galvanized 1/2" carriage bolts, 2 ea loc.). Bearing blocks under them make it enough you don't need bolts, but More is Bettertm.

Bottom green nailer is nailed, as are intermediates. 2 16d ea 2x4, 4 in a 2x8. Also galvanized.

my garage is 24 x 32, common framed roof, 12/12 pitch, like you, same as house. My wife helped me stand the gable ends up, get the ridge board on and set the first set of rafters, but I had the advantage of a 3/4 plywood floor and scaffolding to work from. From there on I single handed the whole building, sliding 1/2 plywood (not OSB) up the ladder was fun..... NOT!
    Mrs. and I don't work exactly side by side, but we did work together on the layout (2 ends of a steel tape), batter boards, and the garden.

Ladder was superseded by one cut of scaffold for rafters.

The 2x4 nailers for the roof are an acquired taste - I grew up doing this method.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12