Cable/cord cutting advice requested - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Proud luddite
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R. View Post
    NBC Sports Gold is great if you don't mind paying.
    We love our NBC S.G. subscription and have been doing that for a few years now. We actually watch the TDF and Vuelta stages in their entirety with no commercials...love it! We didnít watch Paris-Nice yet but are holding up for a while because that might be all they race this year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
    pricing ???
    https://fastestvpn.com/lifetime-spec...cid=31k4_impbe

Now mind you, I would only use this for streaming and nothing else since I don't know anything about the company.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Here's an interesting development.

As part of my cord-cutting, I was looking at TV antennas to bring in local digital channels.

On one website, it said that before spending a lot of money on an antenna -- amplified, etc. -- do this test first, to see what channels you can get without spending a lot on an antenna.

Put a piece of coax cable into your TV's antenna input.

Then touch some kind of unshielded metal wire to the inner conductor of the other end of the coax -- you can use anything like an extension cord, a coat hanger, etc.

I did this, and ran the channel scan. I can pick up 27 digital channels clearly using a coat hanger as an antenna.

Shades of Rabbit Ears antennas from the olden days!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    you can use anything like an extension cord, a coat hanger, etc.
    Coat hanger just doesn't have the visual appeal. What about an old wheel that's about to be tossed?

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    Coat hanger just doesn't have the visual appeal. What about an old wheel that's about to be tossed?
    That's brilliant.

I think I'm going to try it.

!!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    I'm able to ride a lot, and then also watch TV when not riding.

I'm a real renaissance man.
    The Amazon Fire CUBE is awesome! Not the stick, not the stick 4K not anything else but the cube!

Powerful hardware, seamless UI, you can add any app you want. You get all the a la carte under one roof in a powerful hardware package that brings any older TV to life. We love our cube. Haven't used the regular remote since we got it. I HIGHLY recommend it. $100 and you're in business.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

Spicy Dumpling
    We cut the cord at least 5 years ago. We're in a mid-sized city and get around 25-30 OTA channels with a large roof antenna. Cable for interwebs and streaming from Amazon and Netflix.

Now I'm setting up a PLEX server using my desktop PC. I'm ripping all of our DVD's and adding our already ripped music collection to the mix. We can watch and listen anywhere in the house. We're currently using a TIVO for our DVR but I'm contemplating trying to use an external tuner and PLEX to replace it.
    If I were to beat you senseless with a tire iron, what color would you bleed?..The Missus

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by VaughnA View Post
    We cut the cord at least 5 years ago. We're in a mid-sized city and get around 25-30 OTA channels with a large roof antenna. Cable for interwebs and streaming from Amazon and Netflix.

Now I'm setting up a PLEX server using my desktop PC. I'm ripping all of our DVD's and adding our already ripped music collection to the mix. We can watch and listen anywhere in the house. We're currently using a TIVO for our DVR but I'm contemplating trying to use an external tuner and PLEX to replace it.
    External Tuner/Capture cards are a pain.. and Plex is very picky about which ones to use...... Are you use the OTA Tivo, or the Cable Card one. I have 1 6 tuner Tivo and 3 Tivo minis. I thought about ditching the TV package, as we watch mostly streaming, but the reality is (at least in my area), It costs the same for just Internet, as it does for the same internet, TV and phone (although I don't have any phones hooked up). We have FIOS and Gig fiber

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12