Camping and kayaking in North Georgia/North Carolina
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Non Non Cyclist

Camping and kayaking in North Georgia/North Carolina

Well, my new boy loves to kayak and I love to camp, so we took a trip up to Tallulah Gorge this weekend with three other couples and rented a few cabins. Saturday morning we got up bright and (way too) early and drove up to North Carolina so he could kayak the Cheoah River. They were having a dam release, which means Class IV rapids, so he was pretty excited about the trip. I am a beginning kayaker, so I was not participating in the paddling this trip. Instead I decided to be the official river and scenery photographer.

Here are a few of my favorite pics from the weekend.

Our cabin, Dreamcatcher.
    Inside
    Gearing up for the trip. Kayaking requires a lot of crap.
    The group getting ready to head out.
    Bye, sweetie!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Move along...nothing to see here.

Non Non Cyclist
    Some shots of a neat little suspension bridge over the river. I sat here and waited forever for the guys to come through, but must have missed them.

The bridge was covered with spiderwebs. Luckily, I didn't see any spiders, but the webs were really pretty.

Also threw in a scenery shot from the drive up to the river.

Non Non Cyclist
    Random water shots and the falls. Unfortunately, I didn't get anyone in the shot to give it some perspective, and they wanted me to shoot film when they went over them, so you can't tell how big the falls are. It's called Bear Creek Falls and it is about 12 - 15 feet high.

It was really beautiful but my pics do not even come close to doing it justice.

Non Non Cyclist
    A random mix of shots here.

Cool berries growing next to where I was sitting on the side of a ravine so I could get shots of the falls and video the guys coming over. (I'll post those once he edits and emails them to me).

Mmmmm, meat cooked over a fire is good.

Phil and Rick at the take-out where I picked them up.

Staying warm by the campfire.

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Quote Originally Posted by lets_ride
    It was really beautiful but my pics do not even come close to doing it justice.
    I disagree. Beautiful shots of a beautiful area.

I don't know what it is, but you look totally different in every picture of yourself that you post.

Maybe it's a stunt double.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

Non Non Cyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRoebuck
    I disagree. Beautiful shots of a beautiful area.

I don't know what it is, but you look totally different in every picture of yourself that you post.

Maybe it's a stunt double.
    Thanks, it was really nice there. We're going back in November, so it will be interesting to see how the area changes.

Maybe I have multiple photographic personality disorder. Keeps things interesting for the boyfriend, I guess.

Non Non Cyclist

Forgot a few I meant to include...

My favorite spiderweb pic.

A kayak and paddle separated from it's owner. Someone most likely fished it out after the paddler had to swim and stowed it here for them to find later. This was a common sight all day.

Windrider (Stubborn)
    Nice.........white water is fun.

I agree with Roebuck...you look different in every pic....are you sure that's you?

Len

"Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Cool pictures brings back memories I lived in NC for 13 years and would always head up to Asheville and Grandfather Mountain.

Ray Still

Spicy Dumpling
    Great shots of a great area. You took some great shots, but you need to get a bit more carnage in the shots;-) I miss my paddling days a bit but I'm enjoying the bikes. My wife started out taking pictures of me and my buddies before taking up paddling after we met. She wanted a kayak instead of an engagement ring so that is what she got. This is back in the old days of Dancers and Crossfires, before kayaks began to suffer from shrinkage.

Sign up for a week long NOC kayak class and get a head start on paddling with your BF. My wife went to one back in the early 90's and it really helped her paddling and confidence. She came out of the class a solid class 3+ paddler. I tried to teach her but it just didn't work. It's been the same with the bikes, spouses don't work together well in a teaching situation.

Hopefully you two can join us in Pisgah.
    If I were to beat you senseless with a tire iron, what color would you bleed?..The Missus

still shedding season
    Quote Originally Posted by VaughnA
    She wanted a kayak instead of an engagement ring so that is what she got.
    Keeper! Nice shots, looks like a fun weekend.

had it in the ear before
    sweet weekend lets_ride! I've got a cabin reserved for thanksgiving weekend in Ellijay and was thinking of going to the gorge to do some hiking and waterfall picture takin', now I will for sure;)
    you might as well have gone to Taco Bell and had a Zima while dropping a blotter and snorting Tabasco. OMFG. ~ttug

your text here
    looks fun.

is that an old car rim used for the firepit grill? AL or steel?
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    What a great trip; really awesome photos there girlfriend. Very nice indeed.

Fun fun fun weekend. You've definitely earned it with all the work and studying you've been chained to.

Thanks for sharing the trip with us.

Beetpull DeLite
    Quote Originally Posted by weltyed
    is that an old car rim used for the firepit grill? AL or steel?
    RUSRS? I'm guessing you've never been camping....old semi wheels/rims are the best firepits.

Looks like fun, L_R! Good pics, too...and I don't think I blame you for doing that instead of going down the water. Looks kinda rough.

I used to wave
    Bear Falls pics I live right down the road. i kayak, but not the Cheoah. My stepsons do it alot tho.

The nearby Nanty. Thats where I paddle the most.

How bout a hotdog going down the Nanty? ;)
    Last edited by Duckman; 10-06-2008 at 03:51 PM.

Scary Teddy Bear
    My favorite spiderweb pic.

A kayak and paddle separated from it's owner. Someone most likely fished it out after the paddler had to swim and stowed it here for them to find later. This was a common sight all day.

Cool pics LR.....looks like a blast.

you should contribute MORE pics in the future.
    "I never meant to say that the Conservatives are generally stupid. I meant to say that stupid people are generally Conservative. I believe that is so obviously and universally admitted a principle that I hardly think any gentleman will deny it." John Stuart Mill, 1866

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
    http://physasst.blogspot.com/

Stumpcake!
    Cool pics Lets_Ride! It looks like it was a fun weekend. If it were me I'd much rather shoot pics then play in that river!
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem."

Non Non Cyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by Len J
    Nice.........white water is fun.

I agree with Roebuck...you look different in every pic....are you sure that's you?

Len
    LOL. It really is me, promise.
    Here's another one from the next night. Do I look the same or different? I just think I look terrible in most pictures anyway.

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Quote Originally Posted by Len J
    Bam.

LOL. It really is me, promise.
    Here's another one from the next night. Do I look the same or different? I just think I look terrible in most pictures anyway.
    1) Yes you do.
    2) No you don't.

HTH
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

Non Non Cyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by gutfiddle
    sweet weekend lets_ride! I've got a cabin reserved for thanksgiving weekend in Ellijay and was thinking of going to the gorge to do some hiking and waterfall picture takin', now I will for sure;)
    The gorge is really beautiful. I'd certainly recommend it.

Non Non Cyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckman
    Bear Falls pics I live right down the road. i kayak, but not the Cheoah. My stepsons do it alot tho.

The nearby Nanty. Thats where I paddle the most.

How bout a hotdog going down the Nanty? ;)
    Your photos make me wish I had a better camera. Thanks for sharing. Those are great shots of Bear Creek Falls. You are fortunate to live in such a beautiful area. NC is on my short list of states I'd like to live in if I ever leave GA.

We rode down to Pizza by the River at the Nanty on the way back to Tallulah and ate and visited with the guys around the fire. I've paddled the Nanty, but it will be awhile before I brave the Cheoah, that's for sure.

Non Non Cyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRoebuck
    Bam.

1) Yes you do.
    2) No you don't.

HTH
    Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I used to wave
    PBR(pizza by the river) and its internal flame. A good friend owns Fast Rivers next door, as well as the stepsons working there in the summer.

I lived in the Marietta/Kennesaw areas since 64. Moved/marrid to Robbinsville 2 yrs ago. Now enjoying my retirement. Not a fan of the Atlanta metro area.

Looks like the Silver Comet in yr avatar. I do miss it sometimes since theres no flat rides up here for those easy recovery rides. Oh well, to have such problems.

Did a solo ride up in Pisgah yesterday..

Spicy Dumpling
    Duckman,

Could I get a little pisgah info?

A bunch of us Yeti riders are doing a little mini-meet on the weekend of Oct 24-26 in pisgah. We're looking for moderate trails so that everyone in the group can ride. I've only been there once before. We've also heard that bear hunters will be out on Saturday so we may end up going to Dupont on Sat and doing something around Davidson river on Sunday.

I'm considering a couple of routes that I've done and seen in the Carolina guidebook. Basically go up fireroad and down singletrack. I think one comes down long branch, cat-cap and pickelseimer fields. The other up on 475 and down on caney bottom if I remember correctly. Do these sound like decent rides for a diverse group? Also, is night riding allowed at Dupont or Pisgah?

If you're not busy you would be welcome to join us.

Thanks
    VA
    If I were to beat you senseless with a tire iron, what color would you bleed?..The Missus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast