Canada Going To WAR!!!!!
    RoadBikeReview Member

Canada Going To WAR!!!!!

Someone might get TRASHED!!!

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    This will be horrible. The maple-syrup bombs alone will cause massive civilian casualties.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    In the Philippines goes to war with Canada, will Canada even know?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    In the Philippines goes to war with Canada, will Canada even know?
    The UK kinda noticed Argentina...

Over the past couple of decades, many US municipalities have developed recycling programs based on overseas acceptance of said. I've read recently that China (I believe a major importer of US recyclables) has removed the economic viability of this business plan which might be what's happening here.

Locally, we have a robust recycling program, but of late, the industry involved has seemed it prudent to remind citizens of what the do and do not recycle (our local contractor DOES NOT recycle all those plastic shopping bags you get from Wal de Marte) because their profit margins are vanishing in an instant (contracts with the city for tonnage that can't easily be changed).

It might not make economic sense for the company, but I often put the final burden on them... if it looks recyclable, it goes in the bin (shopping bags more often than not).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    if it looks recyclable, it goes in the bin (shopping bags more often than not).
    Stop doing that. It's called "wishful recycling" and it can contaminate a whole batch of otherwise recycleable material causing it to end up in the landfill.

Read up on it here https://smea.uw.edu/about/student-bl...arm-than-good/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    Stop doing that. It's called "wishful recycling" and it can contaminate a whole batch of otherwise recycleable material causing it to end up in the landfill.

I'm a contaminator!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I'm a contaminator!!!
    Seriously, you are. It's better to not recycle ANY of your stuff if you're going to be putting non-recycleable material into the stream rendering it ALL trash.

My town only recycles #1 and #2 plastics, paper, cardboard (non-coated and non-greasy i.e. no pizza boxes), and metal/aluminum cans. No glass.

It's simple enough to put other materials into the trash where it belongs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

I often wondered how much of our recyclables actually get recycled. You hear stories of China just dumpling the stuff in the ocean and I am not sure I would trust the Philippines to take care of it safely either. I think we need to stop producing this stuff rather than count on recycling

According to a 2017 report by Ocean Conservancy China, Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand, and Vietnam are dumping more plastic into oceans than the rest of the world combined

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    This will be horrible. The maple-syrup bombs alone will cause massive civilian casualties.
    Massive civilian diabetes. In a way, it is casualty.

RoadBikeReview Member
    since I routinely pick up plastic bottles and alum cans on my rides and toss them in curbside bins, it's amazing to see what people think is recyclable.

ironing boards, scrap lumber, dirty diapers, shower curtains, dead rose bushes, car batteries, electronics, paint cans, and worst of all...plastic bags.

dir-t has it right, these are referred to as 'tanglers' and cause havoc with the mechanical sorting devices and can shut down the separation process completely.

city waste services workers I've talked to state that recyclables put in plastic trash bags are not opened as it's too labor-intensive. they're simply removed from the recycle stream and sent to the landfill. so, double fail...sadly, I'd estimate that 50% of bins I open have plastic trash bags in them. ironically, city facilities like schools and pools, collect their recyclables in plastic bags. so, they're time and effort to be green is wasted.

really difficult to understand why people can't educate themselves on such a simple procedure...recycle clean plastic containers with a 1-7 triangle emblem, alum, glass, paper, steel, cardboard. the rest goes in the trash.
    Last edited by Oxtox; 04-24-2019 at 09:12 AM.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Seriously, you are. It's better to not recycle ANY of your stuff if you're going to be putting non-recycleable material into the stream rendering it ALL trash.

My town only recycles #1 and #2 plastics, paper, cardboard (non-coated and non-greasy i.e. no pizza boxes), and metal/aluminum cans. No glass.

It's simple enough to put other materials into the trash where it belongs.
    Huh, wat?

Here, trash goes to landfills so if it goes to recycle and they deem it trash, then said took scenic route to land filled.

When recycling started here, it was much simpler on the curb side, but profitability pressures have restricted what is "acceptable". We still need a long term and sustainable alternative that does not require shipping (trash trains hauling municipal wastes pass via rail through here all the time).

Contaminator!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Here, trash goes to landfills so if it goes to recycle and they deem it trash, then said took scenic route to land filled.
    The point is that, not only do they take YOUR TRASH to the landfill, they may also take the entire batch of OTHER PEOPLE'S RECYCLEABLES that you've contaminated to the landfill with it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The point is that, not only do they take YOUR TRASH to the landfill, they may also take the entire batch of OTHER PEOPLE'S RECYCLEABLES that you've contaminated to the landfill with it.
    exactly.

simply throwing a can of paint or container of used motor oil in a recycle bin can contaminate an entire TRUCKLOAD of items that will be rejected at the sorting facility.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    According to a 2017 report by Ocean Conservancy China, Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand, and Vietnam are dumping more plastic into oceans than the rest of the world combined
    Plastic waste is an issue that's really concerning, particularly microplastics. There's the obvious issues of unsightly waste washing up on beaches and ensnaring wildlife.

There's also issues of microscopic plastics from degraded bags etc. AND from synthetic clothing (fleece,Coolmax, etc.) shedding fibers in the laundry that eventually reaches water ways then the ocean. Those fibers are able to bind and accumulate more detrimental contaminants like PCBs and heavy metals which then are consumed and accumulated into the tissue of aquatic organisms, and then into our food chain.

It will be years but I can foresee a time when there's a much stronger push to phase out all sorts of plastic items, not just bags and straws.

Tig
    Clear Lake, TX

+1
    Back when I did contract work for Waste Management, I had to research web content and learned that plastic and mylar bags can bind up the separators.
    Also, don't recycle pizza boxes if they are super greasy.
    "There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
    -Isaac Asimov

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    Also, don't recycle pizza boxes if they are super greasy.
    in Austin, certain residential areas have curbside pickup of yard debris, kitchen wastes, and some contaminated paper (e.g., greasy pizza boxes) which it then combines with sewage sludge and composts them.

the resulting material is called Dillo Dirt which is an awesome soil amendment and available for sale to the public (which helps finance the program).

Boobies!
    nvm
    Last edited by paredown; 04-25-2019 at 07:17 PM.
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
    -Hanlon's Razor

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by paredown View Post
    nvm
    crap I missed it... Damn

Sweet Potato Kugel
    In other highlights, Kate Beckinsale 'splits' from comedian Pete Davidson. I have to google both peeps, but it sounds controvertible, and such as such as.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together