Captain Kirk

Printable View

  • 10-15-2006
    il sogno
    Captain Kirk
    I was NNC-ing this morning up on Mulholland Drive. Riding along the spine of the Hollywood Hills when I came upon a six pointed buck at the side of the road. I sat up - I didn't want to ride by it and startle him to the point where I would have that entire rack of horns impaling my liver.

    There was no one there cept me and him. He looked at me, sniffing at the wind. I felt like Helen Mirren in "The Queen". I said to him, "C'mon now, run along." He clip-clopped across the road in front of me and then trotted up the hillside.

    I get back up to speed and cruise down Mulholland. About 100 yards further on there is a pedestrian walking up the other side of the road. He looks familiar. Yes, yes it's him. The Shat! William Shatner.

    I am immediately transported into a reverie. Back to my childhood watching Star Trek re-runs with my brother. Lt. Uhuru slinking across the screen. Spock raising one eybrow, perplexed. What do we do with these tribbles?!?!

    The Shat looks at me across the road. I smile and take my hand off of my handlebar to wave at him.

    And then...

    and then....

    ulp!

    I do the single worse thing anyone can do to the Shat. I couldn't help it. My brain said "No don't do it!" but my deviously errant lips would not obey. They silently formed the words "Captain Kirk".

    I give him a friendly wave but the damage is done. He scowls at me and gives me a curt nod. Why oh why was I borned with such moreonic lips! :cryin:
  • 10-15-2006
    KenB
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by il sogno
    I was NNC-ing this morning up on Mulholland Drive. Riding along the spine of the Hollywood Hills when I came upon a six pointed buck at the side of the road. I sat up - I didn't want to ride by it and startle him to the point where I would have that entire rack of horns impaling my liver.

    There was no one there cept me and him. He looked at me, sniffing at the wind. I felt like Helen Mirren in "The Queen". I said to him, "C'mon now, run along." He clip-clopped across the road in front of me and then trotted up the hillside.

    I get back up to speed and cruise down Mulholland. About 100 yards further on there is a pedestrian walking up the other side of the road. He looks familiar. Yes, yes it's him. The Shat! William Shatner.

    I am immediately transported into a reverie. Back to my childhood watching Star Trek re-runs with my brother. Lt. Uhuru slinking across the screen. Spock raising one eybrow, perplexed. What do we do with these tribbles?!?!

    The Shat looks at me across the road. I smile and take my hand off of my handlebar to wave at him.

    And then...

    and then....

    ulp!

    I do the single worse thing anyone can do to the Shat. I couldn't help it. My brain said "No don't do it!" but my deviously errant lips would not obey. They silently formed the words "Captain Kirk".

    I give him a friendly wave but the damage is done. He scowls at me and gives me a curt nod. Why oh why was I borned with such moreonic lips! :cryin:


    LMAO!

    I like him so much better as Denny Crane.
  • 10-15-2006
    hooligan
    you could have called him tj hooker
  • 10-15-2006
    S2H
    Teh Shat's a fatty.
  • 10-15-2006
    MR_GRUMPY
    Mulholland Drive ain't no walk in the park. When I visited my kid out there, last year, he gave me the whole scenic tour. Mulholland seemed like the kind of road where you'd spend a lot of time out of the saddle in the 25. Not very much like Illinois.
    Don't feel bad about saying something that makes you look silly. Most people do the same thing.......(I'm glad that I'm not one of them)................Yeah.....Right.
  • 10-15-2006
    cydswipe
    Speaking of Kirk-
    Have you seen the commercial with the Shat in his Trek outfit in ads for Direct T.V.? Too funny. I like those ads, but, when he gets all up about Chekov and the shields, awesome. :)
  • 10-15-2006
    bigrider
    You could have called him

    Overactor
  • 10-15-2006
    JayTee
    If he can't just enjoy that as the most memorable part of his (ahem) acting legacy, then he needs to get over himself!

    You done good, IMO.
  • 10-15-2006
    I am The Edge
    1 Attachment(s)
    he would have gotten a kick out of "Live Long and Prosper"
  • 10-15-2006
    Hollywood
    3 Attachment(s)
    roasted
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jtolleson
    If he can't just enjoy that as the most memorable part of his (ahem) acting legacy, then he needs to get over himself!

    I dunno, he was pretty sharp & funny on his Comedy Central Roast. To the comics: "Who are you people? What have you done? I'm William Tiberius Shatner!..." and like that....check teh YouTube for clips. He spent some time sleeping in his car after StarTrek tv was long over. He toughed it out and has had a pretty nice comeback.

    I've seen him in town at a local cafe. Here are some other faces currently appearing at my morning coffee fix:
  • 10-15-2006
    I am The Edge
    where is your morning coffee fix?
  • 10-15-2006
    il sogno
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by KenB
    LMAO!

    I like him so much better as Denny Crane.

    That scowl that the Shat shot at me was totally Denny Crane. 'Cept it came from a much deeper and darker place. Oh the horror! Oh the humanity! That look just about melted my aluminum bike into the pavement. :eek:
  • 10-16-2006
    wayneanneli
    Il sogno,
    I bet you become tongue-tied whenever you meet famous Canadians, right?
  • 10-16-2006
    Coolhand
    1 Attachment(s)
    Heh- you should have offered him pie. He looks like he enjoys pasteries and pie quite often.
  • 10-16-2006
    QuiQuaeQuod
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jtolleson
    If he can't just enjoy that as the most memorable part of his (ahem) acting legacy, then he needs to get over himself!

    Agreed. But I think most actors want to be seen for what they are doing NOW. I bet a "denny crane" would have gotten a big smile.

    He actually has had a very, VERY good acting career. Cult tv star, movies, tj hooker, and now boston legal. That is a long, long career.

    BL should do a spoof of trek. They have kirk, odo, and quark. The temptation to do a dream sequence must be very strong for the writers.
  • 10-16-2006
    il sogno
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by wayneanneli
    Il sogno,
    I bet you become tongue-tied whenever you meet famous Canadians, right?

    Wayne, he was the grumpiest Canadian I've ever come across. Surely there are rules on this. Where to I get in line to report him? :D
  • 10-16-2006
    il sogno
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Scotty2Hotty
    Teh Shat's a fatty.

    Keep eating them spam sammiches and you'll stay ahead of him. :D
  • 10-16-2006
    wayneanneli
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by il sogno
    Wayne, he was the grumpiest Canadian I've ever come across. Surely there are rules on this. Where to I get in line to report him? :D

    Hey,
    You know what, he's lived in the US for so long, I don't think Canada wants him back.
    Now you and Mapei, however, your Canadian passports are in the mail :)