car speakers
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: car speakers

RoadBikeReview Member

car speakers

Considering an upgrade from the Bose. As mentioned in another long-ago, far-away thread, the sound is disappointingly flat. We're thisclose to having a kick-ass sound system, if only the speakers were better.

So I'm consulting the oracle- what do you guys suggest? We are complete noobs with little idea where to begin. Somebody in an Infiniti forum suggests Audiobahn or Infinity brands. Here's what somebody else listed:

Rainbow: Power Line CMX 265 ($300)
    Morel: Tempo 6 ($240)
    Diamond Audio: M661 or D661 ($200-$230)
    Focal: Polyglass 165 V1 or V2 ($230)
    Boston Acoustics: SL60 ($225)
    Image Dynamics: CXS64 ($360)
    CDTAudio: CL62 ($250)
    Infinity: Kappa ($230)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Just call Crutchfield

RoadBikeReview Member
    Before you start shopping for speakers, you'll want to determine what (if any) modifications will be required to make them compatible. AFAIK, Bose systems use proprietary amplification, which isn't necessarily friendly with aftermarket components.

Of the speakers you've listed, I've had personal experience with high-end Focal and Kappa components. Both sound great with a decent amplifier driving them, but fail to impress when directly powered by factory or even aftermarket head units. If you're running less than 40-50 watts RMS per channel, you'd probably be better off with something in the Infinity Reference range.

Finally (now I know I'm getting long-winded), audio is very subjective. Specs and online reviews are all well and good, but without hearing the speaker in person, you won't know if it will sound good to you. I personally hate sharp sounding speakers, while other people love them.

My .02. Or .03.

Beetpull DeLite
    I'd leave it alone unless you're replacing everything. Personally I don't think it would be worth it, especially if nothing's blown.

But if you really want to spend the cash and hope it'll sound better, to to your LCSS and listen. Speakers sound very, very different.

We're no better than mice
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Kappa Best Bet
    Important Note: These Infinity Kappa speakers use a low impedance design to pull more power safely from your car stereo or amplifier. This design is compatible with virtually all factory and aftermarket stereos.
    Kappa 60.9cs. Usually you want to see if you're capable of pushing enough power to the new speakers head unit wise. These Infinity speakers from Crutch have a good write up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oh great, so Bose is like the Apple of the audio world?

Not long-winded at all fsdork, I appreciate the info.

So replacing the entire system is probably just asking for trouble- $$$$ plus the increased chances of getting broken into.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Bose is the joke of the audio world

Quiet, daddy's drinking
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine

Not long-winded at all fsdork, I appreciate the info.

So replacing the entire system is probably just asking for trouble- $$$$ plus the increased chances of getting broken into.

Looked into this with my wife's Acura. Bose is proprietary. You cannot just change the speakers, you have to replace the whole system. That's head unit, amp, speakers, wire, the whole thing.
    Just because you won't listen to reason does not mean I have to listen to idiocy.

No collusion with the delusion

“Nationalism always breaks its promises because nationalists hate enemies in their countries more than they hate the enemies of their countries" The Guardian.

No hero that's understood
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtleherder
    Looked into this with my wife's Acura. Bose is proprietary. You cannot just change the speakers, you have to replace the whole system. That's head unit, amp, speakers, wire, the whole thing.
    This is my experience with Bose in my car as well.

It is designed as a "system" and I don't think you can really swap out individual pieces and have it work properly.
    Often wrong, never in doubt

RoadBikeReview Member
    Call Crutchfield or visit a decent local car audio shop. There are plenty of integration options for Bose systems, and speakers usually are one of the easiest upgrades.

Most of the speakers listed are solid. Audition them if possible, as they have pretty diverse characteristics. You'll probably like a couple of them with the remainder either sounding harsh or as if there's a blanket covering the speaker.

MCF
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006
    If you are not going to do a full blown system upgrade, think about adding an amp and crossover and a small sub. Take away low end from satellite speakers and drive a small sub. Possibly most bang for the buck. If you are replacing satellites, make sure you have enough power to drive them, otherwise they will still sound crappy.

still shedding season
    Crutchfield's website - put in the year, make and model and it'll tell you what'll work, what will and will not require modifications, and they'll give you an install sheet based on the car. Full retail and DIY, but it's not that bad if you're even slightly handy and a little adventurous.

However, I'm also in the 'all speakers sound different' club. If you heard all of those in your OP side-by-side, you'd probably have a favorite or two and maybe one you really didn't care for. However^2, what they sound like in a display and what they sound like in your car will be very different (regardless of what's powering them).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Due to the remote features on the steering wheel, are there any pre-amp out RCA jacks that could be used with add'l amplifiers?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Due to the remote features on the steering wheel, are there any pre-amp out RCA jacks that could be used with add'l amplifiers?

There won't be RCA outputs on the factory head unit. There will be a handful of ways to add an amplifier to the factory system, depending on your particular Bose system. Once again, Crutchfield or a local car audio shop will be of great help.

Steaming piles of opinion
    Pretty much sums it up, in many, many ways.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

RoadBikeReview Member
    All of the cars I've ever owned had bose in them & the sound as everyone knows sucks. If you only plan on changing the speakers, then that is not a problem. I've done this & it is the easiest solution without any major modifications.

Just simply swap out the speakers with higher fidelity ones. The bose speakers quite frankly are cheap. Nothing but paper cones. Going this route will improve your sound somewhat. However you are still limited by the underpowered amp which is usually located in the top of your trunk & by the crappy head unit that is not very versatile or function packed.

I've compared most of the speaker systems. The ones that impressed me in no specific order are: Polks, JBL, Alpine & Infinity

Changing the amp is not hard if you wanted to do so. Changing the head unit is not a problem either if you know what you are doing. Otherwise take it to a shop to have it done. The big question is how much do you want to spend? A buddy of mine had $8k invested in his system & that isn't even considered high end. The sky's the limit in car audio.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm a fan of the JL audio line of speakers. I use their components in my Accord and love the sound.
    http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...php?page_id=11

I also like MB Quart but found their tweeters to be a bit more harsh on the lower end models than I prefer.
    http://www.mbquart.com/main_caraudio.html

I've replaced the audio...if you can call it that...system in every car I've owned since I got my license in 1969 so a complete replacement system is not a big deal to me.
    I've used Crutchfield for a variety of components and have never had a problem. Their info and details are great.

If you are going to have to replace the entire system give us more details on what budget you have to work with, what you want to use the system for, etc.
    Good luck and keep us informed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    I have had the Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 set for 5 years, but have yet to install them in my new car, so I'm going on my past judgement. They are fantastic in the mid and mid-high range, but lack bass output without getting pushed by an amp. They are pretty tight in the mid bass range without an amp as well, but lose definition if your car isn't whisper quiet at highway speeds. You can scoop them up all day on ebay in the $225-250 range. Well worth it for the fronts, and the rears if they fit.

If I were to do it all over again, I'd go with either JL audio or Boston Acoustics components.
    I have a perpetual case of bike parts blue-balls - PlatyPius

RoadBikeReview Member
    All highs and no lows, must be Bose.

I've had good luck with Kappa line before, but like other said Bose usually has some unique interface for there speakers, but if your current system is say 6.5" speakers in the doors you could probably just replace them with any 6.5" speaker but really your going to want to replace the amp too as it is probably not putting out the juice you want/crave.

MCF
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006
    I know a lot of people are cutting on Bose and I agree it is 'consumer grade' with a lot of marketing hype; HOWEVER, I have the stock Bose system in my 2007 Chevy Tahoe and personally, I think it sounds much better and it has MUCH more bass than the stock Harmon Kardon system in my wife's 2011 MB.

RoadBikeReview Member
    In the HT world Harmon Kardon is not particularly well regarded and certainly not a first tier company any more.

What it comes down to is going to some car audio shops and listening to speakers. Some play well with stock amplification but to get the most out of quality speakers and to get the most/best sound you need more powerful and cleaner amplification than is provided by a head unit...regardless of brand...none of them put out enough power to get loud and stay clear.

Spicy Dumpling
    Replace the Bose system with a big pair of bookshelf speakers from the '70's in your back window and an under dash cassette player. Worked great in my Maverick.

Or check with Crutchfield.
    If I were to beat you senseless with a tire iron, what color would you bleed?..The Missus

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnA
    Replace the Bose system with a big pair of bookshelf speakers from the '70's in your back window and an under dash cassette player. Worked great in my Maverick.

Or check with Crutchfield.
    You're a 6 x 9 guy?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spicy Dumpling
    Quote Originally Posted by EverydayRide
    You're a 6 x 9 guy?
    Not with my Maverick, I had an old pair of Fisher bookshelf speakers from a home stereo hooked up to my Craig cassette deck and Jensen EQ/Amp. My car stereo was loud and obnoxious before it was cool..
    If I were to beat you senseless with a tire iron, what color would you bleed?..The Missus

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnA
    Not with my Maverick, I had an old pair of Fisher bookshelf speakers from a home stereo hooked up to my Craig cassette deck and Jensen EQ/Amp. My car stereo was loud and obnoxious before it was cool..
    I think the boom box era took over where your sound enhancement system left off.

You were the father of boom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast