Carnival Cruise Lines plans to resume some cruises in August - would you go? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    If you can't dance, act old, have a trailer park wardrobe, and afraid of dying, then stay away.
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Wonder if they plan to offer sea burial service...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

We're no better than mice
    Cruises are fun.
    Last edited by EverydayRide; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:50 PM.

Misfit Toy
    Nope, nope, nope. But then, I'd never go on one of those floating hotels. I had an expedition cruise booked for June 5 with Lindblad. It's been rescheduled for May 2021. Tiny boat, company that gives a rats ass about safety.
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

a little too stoked
    Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen View Post
    Nope, nope, nope. But then, I'd never go on one of those floating hotels. I had an expedition cruise booked for June 5 with Lindblad. It's been rescheduled for May 2021. Tiny boat, company that gives a rats ass about safety.
    Hiya Snap! Long time no see. Howya holdiní up?
    MH: I want to go like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Sys: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that the children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

Misfit Toy
    Heya! Hanging in there. I'm actually going to test drive a new Crosstrek tomorrow! Time to retire the antique Forester. Other than that our big news is standing in line at Yamagami's nursery for an hour to get some vegetables for our garden. Wheee.

Wash your hands, wear your mask. Stay healthy
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

a little too stoked
    Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen View Post
    Heya! Hanging in there. I'm actually going to test drive a new Crosstrek tomorrow! Time to retire the antique Forester. Other than that our big news is standing in line at Yamagami's nursery for an hour to get some vegetables for our garden. Wheee.

Wash your hands, wear your mask. Stay healthy
    Will do, Snap.

Oh, and best near-term time to buy a car would be last week of June... simultaneous end-of-month and end-of quarter... the dealer should be motivated to deal.

Though they kinda are already, for obvious covid-ious reasons.

And I prefer to do it via their internet manager and email instead of dealing with the lot-sharks, but YMMV.
    MH: I want to go like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Sys: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that the children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    My wife refuses to go on a cruise with me because she cites all the cases of a couple going on a cruise and only the man returns. Geez, like Iím going to push her overboard! Iíd be the first person they question, you know. So no, no cruises for me. 
    I know you are just joking around here (at least I assume you are), but one of the (many) reasons cruise ships register in small countries is that when at sea, the laws of the registered countries apply on the ship (i.e. drinking age if there is one, etc...), and that country is also responsible to enforce those laws (which they usually contract out to untrained contactors) and investigate crimes that happen on ships (which they rarely bother to do).

I know it seems obvious, but international cruise ships are the perfect place to commit a crime - even an obvious one....

Never get on the same cruise ship with someone who stands to gain from your disappearance
    Last edited by Finx; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:00 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Meh..even with a vaccine it will be a while before cruise business will pick up again. I'm looking at Las Vegas,holy crap the place is doomed.

Myself,as a resort owner,I should be working like 10/12 hours a day by now but we're still shut at the moment. It felt depressing at first but I'm telling you I may get used to it,if somebody shows up with cash to buy the place he can have it. Retirement here I come.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    Meh..even with a vaccine it will be a while before cruise business will pick up again. I'm looking at Las Vegas,holy crap the place is doomed.
    I would have thought that too, put people are booking cruises. I am not sure how Vegas will cope with COVID until there is a vaccine or it infects everyone

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a special needs sister who is turning 40. She asked for ONE thing for her birthday, she has never been on a cruise and wants to go. My 78 yr old parents have agreed to take her in October 2021 and have invited all the siblings along for the festivities. I have not had this kind of a dilemma in a loooong time, I feel like an A$$ saying that I don't want to go as all the rest of the sibs are in.

To chime in on Vegas, that state has no income tax, and a .69 property tax. The State budget comes from gambling and tourism, they are properly F'd.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I would have thought that too, put people are booking cruises. I am not sure how Vegas will cope with COVID until there is a vaccine or it infects everyone
    Herd Immunity Math

US Population (328 million) x Population % to achieve herd immunity (70%)* x Covid-19 Mortality Rate (1.3%)** =

2,984,000 Death in US ... or about 2,000,000 more deaths in the US over the coming few years

* https://www.jhsph.edu/covid-19/artic...h-covid19.html

** https://www.healthleadersmedia.com/w...tality-rate-13

fine print: If SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is like other coronaviruses that currently infect humans, we can expect that people who get infected will be immune for months to years, but probably not their entire lives.*[B]

I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    Herd Immunity Math

US Population (328 million) x Population % to achieve herd immunity (70%)* x Covid-19 Mortality Rate (1.3%)** =

2,984,000 Death in US ... or about 2,000,000 more deaths in the US over the coming few years

fine print: If SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is like other coronaviruses that currently infect humans, we can expect that people who get infected will be immune for months to years, but probably not their entire lives.*[B]

Let's not be quick to assume:

https://www.who.int/news-room/commen...xt-of-covid-19

"There is currently no evidence that people who have recovered from COVID-19 and have antibodies are protected from a second infection."

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Herd Immunity Math

What we dont know is how many people have actually been infected already. It is certainly more that the number of positive tests to date. The IHME model assumes the actual infection rate is ~10x the positive tests. If true, that would mean the fatality rate is lower and more people possibly have immunity. Still not a great news story

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post

Myself,as a resort owner,I should be working like 10/12 hours a day by now but we're still shut at the moment. It felt depressing at first but I'm telling you I may get used to it,if somebody shows up with cash to buy the place he can have it. Retirement here I come.
    Got a link to your resort? Just curious. It's in Sardinia?

RoadBikeReview Member
    What we dont know is how many people have actually been infected already. It is certainly more that the number of positive tests to date. The IHME model assumes the actual infection rate is ~10x the positive tests. If true, that would mean the fatality rate is lower and more people possibly have immunity. Still not a great news story
    Totally agree and why I added the "fine print". One of the things we don't know is if a person who get Covid-19 and survives actually gets some/all immunity and if that is for a lifetime or just a period of time.

Or as nova_rider pointed out above:

"There is currently no evidence that people who have recovered from COVID-19 and have antibodies are protected from a second infection."

Like the video says: "May the odds always be in your favor."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Totally agree and why I added the "fine print". One of the things we don't know is if a person who get Covid-19 and survives actually gets some/all immunity and if that is for a lifetime or just a period of time.

Or as nova_rider pointed out above:

Like the video says: "May the odds always be in your favor."
    I realize it is controversial, but I think we should seriously consider "challenge testing" vaccines with younger, healthier volunteers. This is where you expose them directly to the virus after being vaccinated, rather that let nature take it course as is the normal process. This could shave many months off of the timeline to get a vaccine and would quickly weed out those that dont work so resources can be applied elsewhere. Such an approach could save a tremendous number of lives worldwide

RoadBikeReview Member
    I realize it is controversial, but I think we should seriously consider "challenge testing" vaccines with younger, healthier volunteers. This is where you expose them directly to the virus after being vaccinated, rather that let nature take it course as is the normal process. This could shave many months off of the timeline to get a vaccine and would quickly weed out those that dont work so resources can be applied elsewhere. Such an approach could save a tremendous number of lives worldwide
    The sweepstakes is so HUGE for a winner of the successful vaccine I hear the pharmas are pushing like never before. Think I recall hearing on NPR instead of waiting for Phase 3 testing, those who feeling confident they will get approval will begin gearing up for mass production. Its HATS OFF to all the first responders, academics, and the medical industry for their shared cooperation towards a cure.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    The sweepstakes is so HUGE for a winner of the successful vaccine I hear the pharmas are pushing like never before. Think I recall hearing on NPR instead of waiting for Phase 3 testing, those who feeling confident they will get approval will begin gearing up for mass production. Its HATS OFF to all the first responders, academics, and the medical industry for their shared cooperation towards a cure.
    I don't have an issue with pharma getting a financial reward for finding a vaccine but I would hope that the "winner" would allow the vaccine to be universally produced, perhaps with some license fee. The idea of pre-approval productions so that doses will be available, is a good thing

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    When I first saw the subject line on this thread, I thought it said "Caronavirus Cruise Lines ..."
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
    When I first saw the subject line on this thread, I thought it said "Caronavirus Cruise Lines ..."
    That might be an accurate name, but probably not so good from a marketing perspective

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't have an issue with pharma getting a financial reward for finding a vaccine but I would hope that the "winner" would allow the vaccine to be universally produced, perhaps with some license fee. The idea of pre-approval productions so that doses will be available, is a good thing
    As Adam Smith wrote in The Wealth of Nations, free enterprise does not mean a freedom from responsibility nor appropriate public trustee regulations to maintain a fair and level playing field. Certainly this applies to your hope about winners.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Got a link to your resort? Just curious. It's in Sardinia?
    It is in Sardinia 👍
    www.campingcugnana.it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12