CBD oil: Miracle elixir, or snake oil?
    Russian Troll Farmer

CBD oil: Miracle elixir, or snake oil?

Well, we all know that the "children of Aquarius" all think this stuff is the savior of all mankind, but in truth, what good is it? Please share any scientific info, as well as anecdotes....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Rub it............
    My wife uses it for pain relief. She had a triple fusion of the neck. It doesn't make the pain go away, but makes it bearable.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc View Post
    My wife uses it for pain relief. She had a triple fusion of the neck. It doesn't make the pain go away, but makes it bearable.

What if she smokes the real thing? And thatís a serious question.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Please share any scientific info, as well as anecdotes....
    There's not enough clinical research yet to be able to give anything definitive. Animal studies (so no placebo effect) show some benefits for pain and inflammation. Seems to help one of my cats with her hip. Looks to have anti-seizure effects, which the link below says has the "strongest evidence". Anxiety, maybe.

There are a lot of studies going on now, interest is huge, more should be coming. But the sum total of scientific studies is "preliminary, too early to tell."

Seems to have little downside.

Side effects of CBD include nausea, fatigue and irritability. CBD can increase the level in your blood of the blood thinner coumadin, and it can raise levels of certain other medications in your blood by the exact same mechanism that grapefruit juice does.
    https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...-2018082414476

Beyond those claims, I put little faith in any touted effects. For now.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    There's not enough clinical research yet to be able to give anything definitive. Animal studies (so no placebo effect) show some benefits for pain and inflammation. Seems to help one of my cats with her hip. Looks to have anti-seizure effects, which the link below says has the "strongest evidence". Anxiety, maybe.

There are a lot of studies going on now, interest is huge, more should be coming. But the sum total of scientific studies is "preliminary, too early to tell."

Seems to have little downside.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...-2018082414476

Beyond those claims, I put little faith in any touted effects. For now.
    Put a few drops in a shot of tequila and get out the chips and salsa, you are your own control group..

Rub it............
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    What if she smokes the real thing? And thatís a serious question.
    She is a candidate for it if she wanted to. She does take Marinol, which is a derivative of CBD as an oral supplement which is prescribed by her pain management doctor. The Marinol and CBD oil help out quite a bit, but the Marinol has caused her to get high, so it's taken before bed.

You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

Cooper1960
    Oct 2010
    I have chronic pain so tried a month's worth of CBD.......I got nothing out of it, Ibuprophin works better and is much less expensive.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    I would not call it a miracle, but also not snake oil. We used it for our great Dane in is last year to help his arthritis. It seemed to work pretty well.

off the back
    Bought some CBD gummies last week. Not sure how much they do for pain, I think they blunt it a little bit, but I've only been eating one an hour or so before I go to bed. Do seem to help make sleeping better. Have the weirdest dreams.
    "Damn. Y'all murdered the sh*t out that mutherf***er"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    The FDA is about to start regulating it so perhaps there will be more legit research soon.

My wife takes it at night and says it helps her sleep but I don't know if she's really getting benefit as far as helping her minor but persistent aches and pains. She takes the "Floyd's of Leadville" stuff since we're friends with a bike shop owner who sells it to us at cost.

My dads wife has a bunch of serious back issues (much of her spine is made of steel) and says it helps with pain but it could be placebo effect.

It seems to me that the seizure controlling effects are what really makes CBD useful at this point. I'm a bit skeptical of other claims although I do notice a mildly relaxing body-numbing effect when I take it.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    The FDA is about to start regulating it so perhaps there will be more legit research soon..
    The words 'FDA' and 'soon' shouldn't be used in the same sentence. It'll take the FDA five years minimum.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Got a migraine while visiting CO last year. Went to a dispensary and asked for whatever they would give a cancer patient (since I get intense headaches + nausea/vomiting.)

They suggested a strain with high CBD/low THC. Smoked a few puffs from a tiny pipe, and within the hour, was able to eat pancakes and coffee. The nausea was the first to go, and then the headache subsided more gradually.

My migraines follow a predictable pattern: If I wake up with a headache and feeling nauseous, I know the next 18hrs will be a wasted, torturous day. Head pounds, and I can't keep so much as a drop of water in my stomach, so it's too late to take a pill. Nothing I can do but suffer and chug water/vomit (the mere act of swallowing is too much for my stomach, so chugging water every couple of hours makes it easier.)

Smoking cannabis is the perfect solution, but it's not legal in NY yet (annoying as hell, what kind of "progressive" state is this?!) I have CBD oil with some THC and that helps me relax, even nap, if I can keep it down. Usually the pain is so bad that there's no way to sleep. So I give it two thumbs up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Have a friend in Seattle who loves it. Takes some in the evening, says he sleeps like a baby! They apparently sell it in soda form at regular shops. Pretty awesome.

Too bad I live in a "conservative" state. Newspaper story on the possibilty they'll legalize sports gambling sometime soon. Oh great. We have all the "conservatives" here calling for less big government...but alcohol is only sold in state-run stores AND sales stop at 21:00. AND they don't sell it on Sunday. It is so frikkin' annoying. Blue laws drive me insane.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oh, and edibles have totally revolutionized my life! No more smoking pipes and joints and coughing and wheezing. Just take a gummy bear and go about my life and in a little bit, I feel GREAT!

The insane thing is how cheap they are! I've always drank cheap booze to save money on bike parts. Now I don't need to use crappy liquor to get a buzz, I just take a gummy that costs about $1 and I'll all set. Ha, I probably spend less on edibles than most Americans spend on their coffee/soft drink habit.