CBD tincture for pain?
Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: bahueh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    19,393

    CBD tincture for pain?

    anyone tried it? anyone like it?
    brother in law swears by it for bodily pain after a few car wrecks.
    mom's been having some chronic back/hip pain the last year. we're all tired of her taking hydrocodone. she's tired of taking hydrocodone. PT is working...somewhat after the past 6 months.
    I mentioned it to her, she seems open to the idea.
    Dad said to send some immediately. funny, both my parents are pretty traditional western medicine professionals.

    anyone, anyone?
    Last edited by bahueh; 04-20-2016 at 06:42 PM.
    Not banned yet.

  2. #2
    Not Banned
    Reputation: atpjunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    49,005
    I had a co worker, ex Army Ranger Paratrooper who used it. Chronic pain from nearly losing his arm in service. Says it was the only thing that worked and was way less bothersome than opiates.
    He isn't the stoner type, I trust his evaluation.
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

    still not figgering on biggering

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: bahueh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    19,393
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    I had a co worker, ex Army Ranger Paratrooper who used it. Chronic pain from nearly losing his arm in service. Says it was the only thing that worked and was way less bothersome than opiates.
    He isn't the stoner type, I trust his evaluation.
    the "stoner type" is changing in those states who have gone legal.
    Not banned yet.

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: bahueh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    19,393
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    I had a co worker, ex Army Ranger Paratrooper who used it. Chronic pain from nearly losing his arm in service. Says it was the only thing that worked and was way less bothersome than opiates.
    He isn't the stoner type, I trust his evaluation.
    the "stoner type" is changing in those states who have 'seen the light' with legality. CBD's are a hemp product, not a THC derivative. the evidence seems to be growing in favor of its use, while opiate addiction, caused largely by our medical system, is becoming a real problem.
    Not banned yet.

  5. #5
    Seat's not level
    Reputation: Chain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    19,217
    Quote Originally Posted by bahueh View Post
    the "stoner type" is changing in those states who have gone legal.
    Not really... Although the stoners say it has and will because it supports their delusion.

    YMMV
    • This forum requires that you wait 2 days between posts. Please try again in 17 hours.

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: bahueh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    19,393
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    Not really... Although the stoners say it has and will because it supports their delusion.

    YMMV
    so you don't live in those places. got it.
    Not banned yet.

  7. #7
    Seat's not level
    Reputation: Chain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    19,217
    Quote Originally Posted by bahueh View Post
    so you don't live in those places. got it.
    Unfortunately I do.

    The reports of utopia are greatly exaggerated. Don't look behind the curtain to see the ugly truth...
    • This forum requires that you wait 2 days between posts. Please try again in 17 hours.

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Christine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    15,410
    Recently acquired some CBD oil and am eager to try it next time I get a migraine.

    I have a new prescription that does seem to help take the edge off the migraine, reduces the intensity somewhat, but it's a barbiturate.

    What's nice is that the oil can be sprayed under the tongue, ideal for when you can't swallow anything during an attack.

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    Unfortunately I do.

    The reports of utopia are greatly exaggerated. Don't look behind the curtain to see the ugly truth...
    Tell that to these cancer patients. Cancer patients praise medical marijuana, hope lawmakers listen | Politics | bozemandailychronicle.com

    Then ask yourself why it is that my state's GOP, the pro-business party of small government, is subverting the will of the voters and attempting to limit small business owners to a maximum of 3 paying customers.

  10. #10
    Seat's not level
    Reputation: Chain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    19,217
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    Tell that to these cancer patients. Cancer patients praise medical marijuana, hope lawmakers listen | Politics | bozemandailychronicle.com

    Then ask yourself why it is that my state's GOP, the pro-business party of small government, is subverting the will of the voters and attempting to limit small business owners to a maximum of 3 paying customers.
    I have not problem with the real cancer patients using drugs, of whatever really works.

    Probably because most the mm "patients" are just dope addicts. Medical M that passed in my state was a joke. Little to no effective regulation. Medical cards handed out for anyone with a paper cut. It was all a sham for the pot heads.

    He11 even the pot heads will tell you the MM laws were a joke.
    • This forum requires that you wait 2 days between posts. Please try again in 17 hours.

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Christine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    15,410
    Better the potheads stick to weed than opiates IMO. Less dangerous for the rest of us.

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    He11 even the pot heads will tell you the MM laws were a joke.
    I'll grant you that. They were in my state too, initially. Then they were revised and everything was fine. Now for some reason, the pendulum is swinging farther back to criminalization.

    But, what exactly is this "ugly truth" you mention? What is it about recreational potheads having legal, taxed, access to the pot that they will otherwise find on the black market that is causing problems for others?

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,117
    And, while anecdotal, to stay somewhat on topic...

    I've never used tinctures and was also pretty skeptical of the abilities of weed to relieve chronic pain. Until my neck spasms acted up. See, decades of biking, snowboarding (very asymmetric posture) and generally poor posture while seated at a desk cause me to have occasional debilitating neck pain. As in, I literally can't lift my head off of my pillow some mornings unless I stabilize it with my hands, can't turn my head, etc. Ultimately PT and "posture training" is my savior but I still get bouts now and then.

    I was having one of these episodes one evening and just happened to have a few pot brownies around because I'm a "dope addict". I thought "well, I've got nothing else to do" and took one. I felt better in 15 minutes. None of the muscle relaxers, the 1,000 mg ibuprofens, or hot compresses I'd been prescribed over the years did that.

    So, I cut people some slack when they say they take MM "for chronic pain". But frankly, I don't care why they take it.

  14. #14
    Seat's not level
    Reputation: Chain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    19,217
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    Better the potheads stick to weed than opiates IMO. Less dangerous for the rest of us.
    Wasn't "less dangerous" for the brother of my daughters friend....
    Teen pleads guilty to vehicular homicide in death of Broomfield High's Chad Britton - Broomfield Enterprise

    Kid was so high he didn't notice running over the poor kid. Also know kids that started getting high with friends and now live for meth... and nothing else.

    Had a couple fun loving cousins that were the cool kids doing pot... now dead because of drugs... so yea you aren't going to convince me it's harmless or not dangerous.
    • This forum requires that you wait 2 days between posts. Please try again in 17 hours.

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Christine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    15,410
    I didn't say "harmless." Hell, I rode home yesterday, 4/20, and there were plenty of passing cars that reeked. I was pretty nervous and was questioning my decision to ride.

    But compared to meth, alcohol and opiates, I'd say it's the lesser of those evils. Anything can be dangerous when misused.

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    Wasn't "less dangerous" for the brother of my daughters friend....
    Teen pleads guilty to vehicular homicide in death of Broomfield High's Chad Britton - Broomfield Enterprise

    Kid was so high he didn't notice running over the poor kid. Also know kids that started getting high with friends and now live for meth... and nothing else.

    Had a couple fun loving cousins that were the cool kids doing pot... now dead because of drugs... so yea you aren't going to convince me it's harmless or not dangerous.
    Intoxicated driving is intoxicated driving. Combine that with a VERY inexperienced driver (had his license for 6 days?) and...

    Well, I just don't see that as a very strong argument against allowing responsible adults to use what they want to use in the privacy of their own backyards. For instance, I have the day off tomorrow and it's going to be beautiful outside. Once I'm finished wrenching on my van and mowing the lawn, I look forward to taking a couple tokes and pulling weeds out of my vegetable garden, maybe cook a great meal for my wife...

    I strongly disagree with the gateway drug argument. It's like blaming coffee for amphetamine addiction. Now, I think you could argue that MJ use by kids may be a strong *signal* that they may be predisposed to using other drugs later on but that doesn't mean it's causative. Those kids may simply be more open to risk taking and hanging out with other like-minded kids who are less averse to taking stronger drugs.

  17. #17
    Seat's not level
    Reputation: Chain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    19,217
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    Intoxicated driving is intoxicated driving. Combine that with a VERY inexperienced driver (had his license for 6 days?) and...

    Well, I just don't see that as a very strong argument against allowing responsible adults to use what they want to use in the privacy of their own backyards. For instance, I have the day off tomorrow and it's going to be beautiful outside. Once I'm finished wrenching on my van and mowing the lawn, I look forward to taking a couple tokes and pulling weeds out of my vegetable garden, maybe cook a great meal for my wife...

    I strongly disagree with the gateway drug argument. It's like blaming coffee for amphetamine addiction. Now, I think you could argue that MJ use by kids may be a strong *signal* that they may be predisposed to using other drugs later on but that doesn't mean it's causative. Those kids may simply be more open to risk taking and hanging out with other like-minded kids who are less averse to taking stronger drugs.
    denial.jpg
    • This forum requires that you wait 2 days between posts. Please try again in 17 hours.

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Christine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    15,410
    In any case, CBD uses (is?) the medicinal component of weed; the THC (?) is what gets people high.

    There are strains that have more of the medicine and less of the high. Personally, the buzz isn't what interests me so much as what makes it good for what ails ya.

    Parents of kids who have cancer are especially interested in the medicine part of the equation.

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: bahueh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    19,393
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    I have not problem with the real cancer patients using drugs, of whatever really works.

    Probably because most the mm "patients" are just dope addicts. Medical M that passed in my state was a joke. Little to no effective regulation. Medical cards handed out for anyone with a paper cut. It was all a sham for the pot heads.

    He11 even the pot heads will tell you the MM laws were a joke.
    you're not paying attention. CBD's are not marijuana. its a help product. no THC, no addictive substances. It does not require a MM card. Hell, its sold in grocery stores in the state of Washington.

    I"m just wondering if anyone's tried it for pain relief. I'm hardly interested in your ranting about marijuana. My 72 year old mother isn't going to be smoking the stuff.
    Not banned yet.

  20. #20
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    124
    The Rubin Report recently had an interview in which the guest speaks about the differences between THC and CBD among other things. It can be found on YouTube or Ora.tv if anyone is interested.

  21. #21
    gazing from the shadows
    Reputation: QuiQuaeQuod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    26,350
    Quote Originally Posted by bahueh View Post
    anyone tried it? anyone like it?
    Try it, there is little downside, medically. Low risk, high potential pay off, so that's a good bet in my book.

    Will it work? It think it's best to treat it as a "maybe". Beyond the placebo effect at least. Some have great results, some not.
    .
    Stout beers under trees, please.

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    374
    Can't answer your question about CBD but did want to chime in about back/hip pain.

    Maybe this is all old news but maybe some of it's useful.

    Lower back pain can cause pain in the groin and hips that feels a heck of a lot like bad hip joints. Unless there's a tremendous amount of damage to the hips, a good Dr. will tell people to resolve their back pain before considering any type of hip surgery.

    If the back pain is due to the facets of the vertebrae rubbing against each other, then there's not much that they can do to help. Physical Therapy can help some people a bit, but this tends to get worse and there's no effective surgical solution. Basically that's arthritis and we don't have fix for that.

    The other kind of back pain is caused by pressure on the nerves. That can happen for multiple reasons. There are very effective surgical treatments for those problems.

    If the pain is due to pressure on the nerves then it's only going to get worse. Long term pressure damages them. As the damage gets worse your mobility get's worse. That's a big part of why so many old people loss of ability to move one (or both) legs.

    Loss of mobility is directly related to dying earlier.

  23. #23
    Not Banned
    Reputation: atpjunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    49,005
    Quote Originally Posted by bahueh View Post
    the "stoner type" is changing in those states who have 'seen the light' with legality. CBD's are a hemp product, not a THC derivative. the evidence seems to be growing in favor of its use, while opiate addiction, caused largely by our medical system, is becoming a real problem.
    my point being he was a military vet looking for pain management not a pot head looking for a excuse to get high.
    He said he was better for the pain than the opiates, wasn't as addictive, didn't give him constipation, etc.....
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

    still not figgering on biggering

  24. #24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: bahueh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    19,393
    Quote Originally Posted by bahueh View Post
    anyone tried it? anyone like it?
    brother in law swears by it for bodily pain after a few car wrecks.
    mom's been having some chronic back/hip pain the last year. we're all tired of her taking hydrocodone. she's tired of taking hydrocodone. PT is working...somewhat after the past 6 months.
    I mentioned it to her, she seems open to the idea.
    Dad said to send some immediately. funny, both my parents are pretty traditional western medicine professionals.

    anyone, anyone?
    apparently this stuff works! she's been on it a few times a day for 3 days and she's reporting being virtually pain free. she's very happy and off the hydrocodone. she's still playing around with the dosage but she started quite low i believe...less than 300mg 2-3 times per day. Spoke with her tonight and she's quite elated and seemed more cognizant than some previous conversations the past few weeks...
    Not banned yet.

  25. #25
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: bahueh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    19,393
    Quote Originally Posted by slow.climber View Post
    Can't answer your question about CBD but did want to chime in about back/hip pain.

    Maybe this is all old news but maybe some of it's useful.

    Lower back pain can cause pain in the groin and hips that feels a heck of a lot like bad hip joints. Unless there's a tremendous amount of damage to the hips, a good Dr. will tell people to resolve their back pain before considering any type of hip surgery.

    If the back pain is due to the facets of the vertebrae rubbing against each other, then there's not much that they can do to help. Physical Therapy can help some people a bit, but this tends to get worse and there's no effective surgical solution. Basically that's arthritis and we don't have fix for that.

    The other kind of back pain is caused by pressure on the nerves. That can happen for multiple reasons. There are very effective surgical treatments for those problems.

    If the pain is due to pressure on the nerves then it's only going to get worse. Long term pressure damages them. As the damage gets worse your mobility get's worse. That's a big part of why so many old people loss of ability to move one (or both) legs.

    Loss of mobility is directly related to dying earlier.
    she's got a steel rod in her spine for scoliosis...that could have something to do with it, but thanks for the input.
    Not banned yet.

Similar Threads

  1. Back pain foot pain
    By Murphy1120 in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-21-2014, 02:08 PM
  2. Neck pain while cycling, upper back pain the day after?
    By sheepherder in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-16-2014, 06:29 PM
  3. A poll: Pain Cave vs. Pain Locker
    By eyebob in forum Cyclocross
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-27-2007, 04:31 PM
  4. Update on my foot pain/calf pain...
    By bismo37 in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-03-2007, 08:15 AM
  5. need help with foot pain, hot spot and toe pain,
    By jiggs in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-20-2004, 08:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.