charging a car battery....sorta...but bigger
    Der Kaiser

charging a car battery....sorta...but bigger

Can anyone give me a dummy crash course in charging a battery? One difference though is that I need to charge a tractor battery not a car battery. The second difference is that the battery is actually two batteries connected. So I really have no idea what I'm doing...

Anyone wanna tell me what goes where??

Cap'n of Industry
    1st verify that you have a 12V system. Cables will be ground to bat1 - to bat2 - and solenoid to bat2 + to bat1 +. If it is bat1 + to bat2 - you have a 24V system. Make sure you charge with 24V.

Just hook up things normally, Positive charger cable to one of the positive terminals (they are connected) and Negative cable to the frame away from batteries so a spark won't make a kaboom. Or you can unhook both batteries and charge them individually.

Quiet, daddy's drinking
    Quote Originally Posted by jahona
    Can anyone give me a dummy crash course in charging a battery? One difference though is that I need to charge a tractor battery not a car battery. The second difference is that the battery is actually two batteries connected. So I really have no idea what I'm doing...

Anyone wanna tell me what goes where??

Charging or jumping? 12 or 24 volt? How many amps will the charger push? Are the batteries wired in series or do they have separate leads?

If charging I always disconnect the leads before putting the charger on. Red to positive, black to negative.

If jumping put the red in the positive of one of the batteries and the negative on the metal frame so as not to fry the electronics.
    Just because you won't listen to reason does not mean I have to listen to idiocy.

No collusion with the delusion

“Nationalism always breaks its promises because nationalists hate enemies in their countries more than they hate the enemies of their countries" The Guardian.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You saw where the cables from the tractor were connected to the battery? You put the charger on the same terminals. Molded into the top of the batt. should be a + and a - sign. Those are the positive and negative terminals. You will have a positive on one battery and on the other battery you'll have a negative. Take the red lead from your charger and place on the + (positive) and put the black lead on the - (negative). As you charge you should see the gauge on the charger drop as the amperage is backed off as the battery becomes fully charged. Depending on size of charger, it should only take about 16-24 hours depending on the battry's state of initial charge.

Remember to do all of this in a well ventilated area. Oh yea, connect the leads from charger to battery first before you plug the charger in, this will eliminate any spark near the batt. And unplug charger first before removing the leads after the batt. is charged for the same reason.

Der Kaiser
    Ok, thats what I was thinking BIGBOB and others. I'll go out and give it a go. The battery itself couldn't be in a worse spot. It's underneath the steps to the cab, so you have to lift those up to get to it. Then of course it has a plastic cover over it which always manages to get stuck on a few cables while taking it off / putting it back on.

Banned forever.....or not
    How many total cells?...Is it two six volts, or two 12 volts??????? (6V batteries have 3 cells)......
    Are the batteries "sealed", or do they have removable vent caps??
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Along with the "how many caps" question, it'd be nice to know if the cable tying the 2 batteries together is going from pos. to pos. or pos. to neg. Then we could really give some answers.

Bob

Resident Dutchbag
    This thread is dangerous wihtout pics.
    Originally posted by thatsmybush:
    I can only speak for my self, but if Fergie wanted to rub her lovely lady lumps on me, I could play the role of "human stripper pole."

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm convinced we're gonna have two blowed up batteries before it's all over.

Hydrogen is very unforgiving.
    If it's two 12's in series, he'll have to disconect them, unless he has a 24V charger......Fat chance.
    We need to know........Each battery is (?) Volts, and are hooked up in (series/parallel)???, and are there vent caps???
    Dogbert.

I>U

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yeah, how many caps will give us volts, and the cable config. will tell us whether he has to disconnect each batt. to charge. But if he keeps the charger on the proper terminals he can't do much harm. For something to happen the batt's would have to be 2 six volt in parrallel and I just don't see that.

I've got a battery charger so old that it has a setting for 6 volts....(and it was made for 6/12 volt cars) (It's has a tube type rectifier)
    Dogbert.

I>U

Der Kaiser
    Quote Originally Posted by rogger
    This thread is dangerous wihtout pics.
    I was thinking that myself. Hopefully these pics will help. One is of the batteries one is of some instructions I found cleaning off the battery.

I left a message with my cuz's wife this morning that the tractor wouldn't start, so I should be getting some sort of contact from him soonish, so I'm not too hurried, cept three bunches of cattle are probably getting hungry for some hay. He's been our designated farmhand since before I was born so he should know... but I thought this would be a good post and an entertaining one for you guys at work....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Der Kaiser
    Oh - and I have the charger ready to go. Adding to the danger of this is the five extension cords needed to get from the nearest outlet to the tractor....

I think that I see negative to negative, so that means parallel conection. I can not see any indication of voltage, so you will need to test with a voltmeter.
    Dogbert.

I>U

Cap'n of Industry
    Quote Originally Posted by jahona
    Oh - and I have the charger ready to go. Adding to the danger of this is the five extension cords needed to get from the nearest outlet to the tractor....

Be sure to stretch the cord across a small body of water. Like Grumpy says it looks - to - to me. Being a modern sealed battery on probably a fairly new tractor (just guessing since it has NH batteries) odds are eleventybillion to 1 that it's 12V.

The best way to test it, is to take a long wrench and bridge positive to negative. Hold firmly to terminals until wrench is all red. (or until hand is done)
    Dogbert.

I>U

Der Kaiser
    Well, the charger is on and running. I set it to 12V and it seems to be working.

Der Kaiser
    Thanks for the help everyone but after having the charger on for awhile it came apparent that the battery is dead. Very dead. Like the dash doesn't even light up dead. So...tomorrow I'll maybe leave the charger on all day. I unplugged it for the night bc impending storms and extension cords don't mix well. My cousin is going to come by tomorrow hopefully and check things out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Looking carefully at the lefthand battery I can see 2 of the caps for the sealed cells of the battery. Estimating across the top of the battery it looks like it would go 6 times across giving you a 12 volt battery. And like the others have said, judging by the negative markings on the closest posts, you have two 12 volt batteries in parrallel. That means set the charger for 12 volts and let it go. As new as those batteries appear, I'd be supprised if they did not charge unless something drastic had happened to them like being left discharged for months or they had froze during the winter.

When the charger is connected do you have any gauge lights, etc.?

What does the charger say in regards to how many amps it puts out? That will determine how long it will take to charge.

Der Kaiser
    Yeah, the battery just ain't taking the charge. I talked to pops last night and he was stumped, and when a farmer of 60+ yrs is stumped, well yeah. (I personally think we just need to get a new charger - its ancient.) He also mentioned that we've never changed batteries yet on this tractor since getting it - which was at least 7 yrs ago. So anyway I have the implement/tractor dealership coming out this morning and it will probably take them 5 minutes to get it up and running.