'Chernobyl' Miniseries on HBO...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    feelin' Freddie Mercury

'Chernobyl' Miniseries on HBO...

It's a five-parter, caught Part 1 last night though it's on Mondays (Tivo'd it).

It's very good so far. Really captures the dread and 'WTF' unprecedented nature of the famous 1986 nuclear disaster, and the political/state machinations that undercut recognizing the true scope of the disaster and efforts to properly deal with it.

Only real complaint is that some of the characters talk in obvious British accents, thus denting the illusion that this is taking place in the USSR. Though the locations are quite spot-on... they even filmed at a decommissioned nuke plant in Lithuania that was referred to as 'the brother of Chernobyl'.

But re: the accents, it's a co-production between HBO and Sky UK, so to the British viewers, probably seems like no accent at all.

Recommended.

Last edited by SystemShock; 05-08-2019 at 07:38 AM.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've seen several documentaries about Chernobyl over the decades and they tell the tale well enuff (along with others like Fukushima) to give pause to any currently licensed operational plants in the US AND how "lucky" we were with TMI AND which citizens in this country will need to MOVE WITHOUT HESITATION if a Government official tells you "things are under control".

Locally, we've got a decommissioned reactor that was supposed to be used to develop... I kid you not, nuclear aircraft engines. Said reactor is essentially cocooned in situ and is a base "landmark". It's location and design are... unsane and stories still circulate... oh, the stories.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    I used to work at the Idaho National Engineering Laboratory. The site, out in the middle of the Idaho desert, included a huge aircraft hanger for the nuclear powered aircraft that never got built.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
    I used to work at the Idaho National Engineering Laboratory. The site, out in the middle of the Idaho desert, included a huge aircraft hanger for the nuclear powered aircraft that never got built.
    To be clearer, the USAF DID fly "small" nuclear reactors for R&D purposes but not as a source of jet power. Hubris.

Darling of The Lounge
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
    I recall Convair creating a nuclear engine that powered a converted B-36. The amount of shielding required to protect the crew from radiation made it a bit impractical. Add to the fact you have a flying reactor over the US. What could go wrong?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    It's kind of interesting that there's black mold thriving within a few feet of the melted core in gamma radiation that'll kill you within minutes.

https://www.nature.com/news/2007/070...s070521-5.html

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    I just finished reading, "Chernobyl: the history of a nuclear catastrophe" by Plokhy Serhii.

As they say, the book was better than the movie. A good read, with no British accents.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    The first episode was pretty intense.

a real member's member
    i'm waiting for 'chernobyl: the musical.'
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    i'm waiting for 'Chernobyl: The Musical.'
    Why? Couldn't get Hamilton tickets?
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    I've seen several documentaries about Chernobyl over the decades and they tell the tale well enuff (along with others like Fukushima) to give pause to any currently licensed operational plants in the US AND how "lucky" we were with TMI AND which citizens in this country will need to MOVE WITHOUT HESITATION if a Government official tells you "things are under control".
    Just as a heads-up, Chernobyl was a different (and much worse) design than US nuke plants have, plus there was considerable human error involved. Which isn't to say our nuke plants are 110% safe, as the TMI incident showed.

We really do need to move on to next-generation nuclear plants, such as thorium-based and molten-salt reactors, which are far safer. Long story short, most reactors in the world today have a default state of runaway, i.e. if you lose reactor cooling (as Fukushima) did, you are in a world of hurt. But with next-gen designs, the 'default state' is for the reactor to shut itself down, even if the human operators do nothing.

Locally, we've got a decommissioned reactor that was supposed to be used to develop... I kid you not, nuclear aircraft engines. Said reactor is essentially cocooned in situ and is a base "landmark". It's location and design are... unsane and stories still circulate... oh, the stories.
    Nuclear aircraft, always a bad idea. But that was the '50s for ya.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Elena used to ride through the exclusion zone... at night.
    I'm an adult and all and don't run up the stairs after shutting the lights off in the basement anymore, but exclusion zone... at night? Yikes.

KIDDofSPEED - GHOST TOWN - Chernobyl Pictures - Kidofspeed - Elena
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've seen the trailers while watching GOT and it looks pretty good, but hadn't realized it had started already, will have to add it to the list.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    We really do need to move on to next-generation nuclear plants, such as thorium-based and molten-salt reactors...
    and i can't wait for 'next gen nuclear plants: the musical'!
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    I was living in France when this went down. FR3 had a "wind" direction summary throughout their broadcast of the "fall out" traveling across europe. The rescue teams and media reporters hovering overhead knew their mission to save or film/report on that disaster would eventually kill them.

There is fall out in fallout.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

RoadBikeReview Member

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois
    i'm waiting for 'chernobyl: the musical.'
    and i can't wait for 'next gen nuclear plants: the musical'!
    Doubling down on a bad joke. I respect that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017
    9W9W I had seen that quite a few years ago; it's an excellent photo gallery. Thanks for posting it so I could look through it again!

a real member's member
    Doubling down on a bad joke. I respect that.
    i did see 'bad joke: the musical' when it came through town. i thought the music was pretty good, but the jokes weren't quite witty enough to carry a 3-hour production.

let's call this post "tripling down."

RoadBikeReview Member
    i did see 'bad joke: the musical' when it came through town. i thought the music was pretty good, but the jokes weren't quite witty enough to carry a 3-hour production.

SNORT! "bad joke, the musical" is less than a half hour show! Good joke was keeping you in your seat for an additional 2 1/2 hours!!!!

feelin' Freddie Mercury

I call it 'going down with the ship', but hey, your call.

What the Hell is going on

Only real complaint is that some of the characters talk in obvious British accents, thus denting the illusion that this is taking place in the USSR. Though the locations are quite spot-on... they even filmed at a decommissioned nuke plant in Lithuania that was referred to as 'the brother of Chernobyl'.

But re: the accents, it's a co-production between HBO and Sky UK, so to the British viewers, probably seems like no accent at all.
    British accents give anything a sense of heavyosity (as Woody Allen would say) and importance and seriousness. That's why Kevin Costner dumped his British accent half way through Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves.
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bilbo View Post
    9W9W I had seen that quite a few years ago; it's an excellent photo gallery. Thanks for posting it so I could look through it again!
    You got it. I lived maybe 800 miles away at the time. Events like this really interest me and I am really into this particular one. I can't enjoy the show for what it is having poured through so much history of the event and the events that followed.

I would love to do a tour of the exclusion zone.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Fake accents aside, I found the first two episodes fascinating. Very comedic how the old Soviet guard handled adversity.

"The dosimeters read 3.6 strolkum.

That's not great, but that's not bad."

The machines max out at 3.6 strolkum (or whatever they say for rad)

"Get another dosimeter!

The good ones are locked up. We can't get one."

They finally get one that reads up to 20,000 Strk

The reading blows up the meter instantly.

"Dammit, another faulty meter!"

Then the next question is who they can blame.

I recently saw the movie "Death of Stalin". Takes place when he dies in 1956 or so, and the same utter chaos when something goes whacky. No one dares to make a move without proper approval and always looking for someone to blame. No one dares to speak the truth.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    This series continues to execute well. I'm impressed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast