Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coffee

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    3-4 minute steep is standard. Longer steep time, more extraction. Generally FP will be a bit lower than drip, but it also typically uses coarser grind. Finer the grind, the more the extraction... including more bitterness.

Lighter roasts have more caffeine than darker.

So, grind a light roast however fine you can stand (finer gives a muddier cup), steep it as long as you can palate, and that will max caffeine levels.
    I don't mind chewing my coffee, it's a great way to add fiber to your diet, no? I will try again in morning with a 3 or 4 minute steep time. I did grind it a bit coarser for the press. I use 2 scoops per 16 oz water. Does that sound about right (translates to about 2 heaping tablespoons.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Frog Whisperer
    Yeah, it has to be finer grind, there's no sludge at the bottom at all. Still pretty tasteless though. I can feel the caffeine though. Like I said I don't normally drink coffee in the afternoon.

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    I use 2 scoops per 16 oz water. Does that sound about right (translates to about 2 heaping tablespoons.
    About right, close enough for a starting point. It's pretty much preference though, a bit more or less to taste from where you are now, and if you like it, you like it!
    Stout beers under trees, please.

xxl
    I don't mind chewing my coffee, it's a great way to add fiber to your diet, no? I will try again in morning with a 3 or 4 minute steep time. I did grind it a bit coarser for the press. I use 2 scoops per 16 oz water. Does that sound about right (translates to about 2 heaping tablespoons.
    The National Coffee Association, a trade group, recommends this (think of it as KOPS, but for coffee):

"...one to two tablespoons of ground coffee for every six ounces of water."

At our house, we tend to make it a mite stronger.

How to Brew Coffee
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Frog Whisperer
    Reminds me of a cartoon that I saw in high times magazine about 100 years ago. There was some kind of issue in Columbia and the price of coffee was skyrocketing. There was a rabbit sitting, eating coffee right out of the can. Caption read something to the effect "he!! yeah at the price why dilute it."

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    The National Coffee Association, a trade group, recommends this (think of it as KOPS, but for coffee):

"...one to two tablespoons of ground coffee for every six ounces of water."

At our house, we tend to make it a mite stronger.

How to Brew Coffee
    I best double mine then. BTW, I have been using distilled water recently (I have a still)

Frog Whisperer
    I will try again in the morning, if I can see the electrons in the walls, it means that I succeeded!

xxl
    I best double mine then. BTW, I have been using distilled water recently (I have a still)
    I was wondering if maybe you'd mistyped...possibly because you were sleepy from not enough caffeine in your diet.

I was always taught that distilled water was not so good, because the distillation process drives out free oxygen molecules in the water, and makes the water taste "flat," like when water is boiled too long for tea. I haven't ever done a taste test to know if this was true. I do notice a marked difference in taste when I use filtered water.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

gazing from the shadows
    Distilled water is sub optimal for coffee. Some mineral content helps with flavor extraction, for one reason. So consider adding a least a bit of hard water in, when you have your ratio of coffee/grind/time set.

Try bumping by 50% first before 2x.

30 mpdb
    When I FP, I'll usually steep between 4-5 mins. Sometimes longer if I ignore the timer and then remember about it 10 mins later.

Edit: if I'm noticing a lack of flavor, on following presses I'll give it a (2nd) good stirring about halfway through the steeping process.
    Last edited by beeristasty; 03-01-2018 at 01:36 PM.

Master debator.
    I recall seeing this on Shark Tank, it is an additive for distilled water used in making coffee. Seems expensive, but I'd like to try it, supposedly it makes a difference:

https://www.amazon.com/Third-Wave-Wa...07696WHH8?th=1
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    I might be an addict BUT I would have to quit to know for sure and I am pretty sure no one around me wants to see that.
    I know for sure. If I don't have some coffee (or at least caffeine - tea will do in a pinch) in the morning, I get a blinding headache about midday. I did a blind test once, accidentally drinking decaf that I thought was the real thing. Pain.
    Have you ever been to Electric Ladyland?

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Iím not sure when it turned into a morning addiction. Probably about 15 or so years ago. I drank a fair amount in the Navy but that was on watch, middle of the night, etc. and as donít recall a daily morning cup after I got out. Now, however itís one big first thing AM cup and no more. The worst is when we get decaf by mistake. Not too long ago, I somehow missed the AM cup but didnít realize it and thought I was coming down with the flu.

I am Lavazza in the drip machine. Occasional French press or Nespresso Espresso.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    I know for sure. If I don't have some coffee (or at least caffeine - tea will do in a pinch) in the morning, I get a blinding headache about midday. I did a blind test once, accidentally drinking decaf that I thought was the real thing. Pain.
    My wife experienced that before when she was drinking coffee more often than she has been lately. Although, now that she's hooked on Kona coffee she's upping her intake again.

I'm a bit of a weirdo with coffee. I can really take it or leave it if I have to make it myself but if a pot has been made I'll drink the whole thing.

Russian Troll Farmer
    I started drinking coffee when I was 12 (my mom told me it would stunt my growth; I'm 6'3" tall....), and used to be a coffee snob. I love African coffees, mostly Kenyan and Tanzanian beans, but, man, that Keurig is just so damn convenient. Once in a while, I even put in a K-cup of cafe Bustelo.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by beeristasty View Post

Edit: if I'm noticing a lack of flavor, on following presses I'll give it a (2nd) good stirring about halfway through the steeping process.
    YES!

That also helps settle the grounds more completely.

RoadBikeReview Member
    best machine we have used. It does shots and americano at the push of a button.

Frog Whisperer
    I didn't start drinking coffee until I was out college, so that's not what stunted my growth. Although, I did get up to 5 foot 6 for a while.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2015
    He also said, "you can circumcise a pig but you can't make it Kosher."
    Off topic, but a favorite joke of mine is

Teacher: Billy, use the word "horticulture" in a sentence.
    Billy: You can lead a horticulture but you cannot make her think.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    I continue to make a truly fine espresso with Peet's Italian Roast ground with my Rancilio Rocky grinder set at 13, and then brewed through La Pavoni Espresso Machine I've had for who knows how long, fifteen years? Sogno continues to bring home coffee from various boutique L.A. roasters but I still prefer the Peet's. Yeah, I've had better coffee in Italy and Japan, but what can a guy do?

https://www.lapavoni.com/
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    I continue to make a truly fine espresso with Peet's Italian Roast ground with my Rancilio Rocky grinder set at 13, and then brewed through La Pavoni Espresso Machine I've had for who knows how long, fifteen years? Sogno continues to bring home coffee from various boutique L.A. roasters but I still prefer the Peet's. Yeah, I've had better coffee in Italy and Japan, but what can a guy do?

https://www.lapavoni.com/
    Import.... Or go there for a cup of coffee!

Sweet Potato Kugel

Nothing beets this

In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    I love it, but I try to keep my coffee down to 4 days a week.

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    Love that stuff.

30 mpdb
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    +1, my mom opened my eyes to these (she's Vietnamese oddly enough).

There are 2 things that I think sucks about them:
    1) cleaning them out. I have 4 of them, so I'll usually wait to clean out a couple at a time
    2) grind size has to be a little larger than your typical filter grinds, but they'll do the job in a pinch.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast