Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coffee

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by il sogno View Post
    I love it, but I try to keep my coffee down to 4 days a week.
    I ONLY drink coffee on days that end in Y
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I didn't realize coffee would get this much forum traffic. Good thing for a forum that needs a jolt.

Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    A friend of mine had a drip coffee maker specifically so he could enjoy a leisurely cup of coffee while waiting for his espresso maker to heat up.
    He should get a timer plug for his espresso machine so that it turns on little ahead of his coffee time. I've heard about this on espresso forums.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    I'm an addict, too. But withdrawal symptoms don't kick in unless I don't have a cup until mid-morning. So I can wait half an hour.

He still sounds a little nuts to me. French press is one of the quickest methods of brewing. But diff'rent strokes . . .
    I'm a good coffee addict. I've been a coffee drinker since my second year in college. I've tried set-it-n-forget-it type coffee machine, cartridge type, espresso machine and now settled for clever coffee along with home roasted beans and commercial grade grinder. It's very hard for me to go back to the ones they serve at convenient stores or fast food places.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    I started drinking coffee when I was 12 (my mom told me it would stunt my growth; I'm 6'3" tall....),
    What if you could've been 6'-8" and NBA contract for $20mil?

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrac View Post

If you want instant....

Cold extract concentrate. AKA cold brew concentrate. You can buy it ready to go, you can also make it if you like (but it won't be as concentrated).

Add to water, nuke, and (depending on brand) you have a decent cup.

I know a person who liked coffee at a certain restaurant. Asked about the brand. Bought the beans, tried to make it, never came close to the same. Turns out the restaurant used a machine that used cold concentrate. So she bought one, had it plumbed and wired, $1000. Makes a good cup. And after a couple of years, the price will work out to "not crazy" per cup. And she can brew nearly infinite amounts at any time, for guests.

Assuming the brand is still in business of course.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrac View Post
    Probably be better off skipping this stuff and just taking a couple of diet pills.
    Too old to ride plastic

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Yeah, I do have a weakness for Vietnamese coffee.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    If you want instant....

Cold extract concentrate. AKA cold brew concentrate. You can buy it ready to go, you can also make it if you like (but it won't be as concentrated).

Add to water, nuke, and (depending on brand) you have a decent cup.

I know a person who liked coffee at a certain restaurant. Asked about the brand. Bought the beans, tried to make it, never came close to the same. Turns out the restaurant used a machine that used cold concentrate. So she bought one, had it plumbed and wired, $1000. Makes a good cup. And after a couple of years, the price will work out to "not crazy" per cup. And she can brew nearly infinite amounts at any time, for guests.

Assuming the brand is still in business of course.
    Or Juan Valdez is still picking beans

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Frog Whisperer
    Used the press this morning, too much work and the coffee is no better than the pour over. HOWEVER, no more distilled water, straight out of the well, un-softened is much better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    best improvement you can make to the enjoyment of your morning brew, after good water, is buying a popcorn maker and roasting your own beans. Stop the popper after the second crack and enjoy the beans the next day. Press, or Auto can't be beat. `Pour over=PITA.

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    We got a new coffee bar installed at work. Being in maintenance, management wanted my boss and I to be fully trained and practiced in running both the espresso machine and coffee maker for when the inevitable problems spring up. One big plus is that I've learned to appreciate and understand espresso... but the problem is that our drip coffee is horrendously inconsistent. One person will make it and it'll be the best coffee you've ever had; the next person will make a bitter, dusty version of asphalt degreaser... despite using the same water:bean ratio (16.5:1) and everything.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    One big plus is that I've learned to appreciate and understand espresso... but the problem is that our drip coffee is horrendously inconsistent. One person will make it and it'll be the best coffee you've ever had; the next person will make a bitter, dusty version of asphalt degreaser... despite using the same water:bean ratio (16.5:1) and everything.
    Is it good in the morning but less good later? Might be the machine heating up over time and making things too hot and over extracting the coffee. If the morning people turn it on, and it gets worse with every pot made over the day...

If it's not that, I have no idea. Magic or aliens, most likely.

gazing from the shadows
    BTW, I am drinking gas station coffee today. Puts me in the right mood to grade exam essay questions.

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    Is it good in the morning but less good later? Might be the machine heating up over time and making things too hot and over extracting the coffee. If the morning people turn it on, and it gets worse with every pot made over the day...

I think they're just using way too many grounds. I tried the 16.5:1 ratio at home on my drip machine and got something like 10 scoops of coffee (I always put 3 in at home).

Our night auditor usually makes a pot for the 6am crowd, then our morning shift makes another around 8am and 10am, and we have an odd group of police officers who stop by around 11pm, so we'll make a fresh pot for them as well. And so far, it seems completely random...even if the same person makes the 8am and the 10am pot, they'll come out wildly different. And, we're using nearly half a kilo of coffee each time.

Then again, we have a horrible problem at work wherein nobody cares or takes pride in their jobs...which is kind of a big deal when your job is customer service and hospitality management...

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    I think they're just using way too many grounds.
    Take a set of measuring cups. Or something. Find one that measures out the right amount for a pot. Dedicate that to the coffee station. Fewer scoops will lower the variation between people. A few test pots (with feedback from people) should get a consistent brew no matter who makes it. Plus getting people involved with deciding what makes the best brew can't hurt the work group, really, and might help bring people together a bit.

Then post a sign by the coffee: One level cup scoop per pot, (or 2 scoops (3/4 cup each) per pot, or whatever).

RoadBikeReview Member
    All I will say is that at my last blood work, they changed my blood type to "Dark Roast".

I second Peet's coffees, they are among the best i have partaken.

oh, and if asked how i take my coffee, the answer is always the same "very seriously".

EEC
    ExChef

-----------------------------------------
    2014 SuperSix Evo 6
    2012 CAAD 10 5
    2011 GF/Trek Cobia
    1983 Fuji Monterrey (Project)

Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. Albert Einstein

Red Rider, American Diabetes Association's New England Classic Tour de Cure 2013/2014/2015/2016/2017. Doing it again in 2018!

Together we can help eliminate diabetes!

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    Take a set of measuring cups. Or something. Find one that measures out the right amount for a pot. Dedicate that to the coffee station. Fewer scoops will lower the variation between people. A few test pots (with feedback from people) should get a consistent brew no matter who makes it. Plus getting people involved with deciding what makes the best brew can't hurt the work group, really, and might help bring people together a bit.

Then post a sign by the coffee: One level cup scoop per pot, (or 2 scoops (3/4 cup each) per pot, or whatever).
    It's already dialed in to 4xx grams of coffee grounds per pot, with an acceptable variance of 10% either way. But, as I mentioned upthread, that's roughly equivalent to me putting 10 scoops of coffee in my own coffee maker, where I'd usually use 3. There's gotta be some correlation to using a shitload of grounds and having wild variations on the coffee...

Frog Whisperer

Or? Could be both!

Frog Whisperer
    BTW, I am drinking gas station coffee today. Puts me in the right mood to grade exam essay questions.
    Cranky? Although, even bad coffee can be an improvement over no coffee.

Misfit Toy
    When I was about 18....

I have a little 5 cup drip pot that I love. Sister uses the Keurig every day. I offered to get a bigger coffee make, but she said no. Yay for me, I can buy $$$ Philz Jacob's Wonderbar with no feelings of guilt.
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

Misfit Toy
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    I started drinking coffee when I was 12 (my mom told me it would stunt my growth; I'm 6'3" tall....), and used to be a coffee snob. I love African coffees, mostly Kenyan and Tanzanian beans, but, man, that Keurig is just so damn convenient. Once in a while, I even put in a K-cup of cafe Bustelo.
    I used to sneak sips (more like gulps) from my moms coffee when I was a teeny snapdragen!

Misfit Toy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    Yeah, I do have a weakness for Vietnamese coffee.
    Oh Lordy, it's the best.

Misfit Toy
    Instant coffee snoots....my Las Vegas packing includes a hot water pot, Mini Moo's Half and Half and Mount Hagen freeze dried coffee. Not optimal...but works when the hotel room does not include a coffee maker!

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen View Post
    Oh Lordy, it's the best.
    Yeah! And then there's the brew at the local Lebanese restaurant.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Re-reading this post brought up an interesting point...I'll have to bring this up to the powers that be and see if we can solve any issues by turning off the heater when we're not making coffee.

Another frustration that a few of our front deskies have (yes, in our hotel, the front desk agents are expected to run the coffee bar...it's an organizational disaster) is that the espresso grinder is oftentimes messed up by either the night audit team or our catering chefs. One of the chefs used to own a coffee shop, so he'll barge on in and make himself at home, doing everything by gumption...problem is, we were trained on exact standards to make a consistent espresso, and he throws all of that out the door. On the plus side, I've become an espresso snob now

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast