colder than I like - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    No, I mean a dead guy laying in his driveway.
    So the shrimp and grits killed him?
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Sweet Potato Kugel

Great scene.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

RoadBikeReview Member
    I grew up in upstate NY, playing outdoor sports year round, clearing driveways for teen cash. "Cold" to me was say ~15*F. I've now been living in central NC for about a decade, since this is where my wife is from. I hate to admit it, but I no longer can handle the cold. I don't stay indoors, but I really need to bundle up a LOT more than I used to need to when I was younger and used to a colder climate.

Biked in today in 34*F, dressed properly, so not bad at all. But, I definitely get colder more easily and faster than I did when I was a proper yankee.

Frog Whisperer
    35 degrees and raining, not happening today either!

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have ridden to work when it's as cold as -20F, but I really have to be careful to protect my face from frostbite at those temps. I can stay comfortable for a half hour to 45 minutes, but after that my hands and feet get cold no matter how I dress.
    "The American people elected Donald Trump as the President of the United States, and not Hillary. I don't think the left is taking this loss as well as they could have"...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    No snow flurries, but I just got in after 24miles, 48 deg. with 21mph SSW gusting to 34mph. It was Brutal out there.
    Today it was 52deg 17mph SW wind gusting to 29mph and that felt pleasant after yesterdays conditions. The ride started into the wind and they were only 13mph gusting to 18, so by the time the wind picked up I had tail\crossing tail winds home.
    Too old to ride plastic

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by davesupra View Post
    I have ridden to work when it's as cold as -20F, but I really have to be careful to protect my face from frostbite at those temps. I can stay comfortable for a half hour to 45 minutes, but after that my hands and feet get cold no matter how I dress.
    Guessing you aren't over 65 yet, lol. I don't commute or it might be different.

Frog Whisperer
    Today it was 52deg 17mph SW wind gusting to 29mph and that felt pleasant after yesterdays conditions. The ride started into the wind and they were only 13mph gusting to 18, so by the time the wind picked up I had tail\crossing tail winds home.
    I had a pile of work this morning but it was sub freezing then, the ice "skin" on the pond didn't thaw until maybe 10. The rain wasn't freezing but it wasn't pretty. I headed out to vote, thought about riding but the rain picked up in intensity. Around 4:30 the sun came out, I was already making dinner, maybe tomorrow.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    I had a pile of work this morning but it was sub freezing then, the ice "skin" on the pond didn't thaw until maybe 10. The rain wasn't freezing but it wasn't pretty. I headed out to vote, thought about riding but the rain picked up in intensity. Around 4:30 the sun came out, I was already making dinner, maybe tomorrow.
    Ever consider wrapping yourself in some of that firewood and setting it on fire as you ride? Win/Win.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    Ever consider wrapping yourself in some of that firewood and setting it on fire as you ride? Win/Win.
    I am pretty light and small, but I don't really want to start with another 50 pounds of "cargo" even if it's gone by the time I get home..

RoadBikeReview Member
    I saw that you had a rough day up there. We're supposed to have a good day tomorrow until the rains come in the later part of the day, and then Thursday is going to be cold and wet. Friday is supposed to start good weather.

Is it still March?
    Too old to ride plastic

Frog Whisperer
    I saw that you had a rough day up there. We're supposed to have a good day tomorrow until the rains come in the later part of the day, and then Thursday is going to be cold and wet. Friday is supposed to start good weather.

Is it still March?
    tomorrow does look good...so far. Mach came in like a snow leopard........and went out like a snow leopard!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I am pretty light and small, but I don't really want to start with another 50 pounds of "cargo" even if it's gone by the time I get home..
    Couldn't you build a smaller fire?
    Too old to ride plastic

Frog Whisperer
    Couldn't you build a smaller fire?
    laminated.......thats what they would call it

Non non normal
    So the shrimp and grits killed him?
    The sick humor on this site is still alive and well. LOL
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    The sick humor on this site is still alive and well. LOL
    You're welcome!

Frog Whisperer
    Currently 30 degrees and sunny, and a light breeze. Projected high of 55, even if it's windy later I desperately need to ride. We had some rain yesterday, less than a tenth not enough to clean the roads but given the multiple issues I have had with the plastic bike, I am a bit nervous. I have faith in my work on the Trek but cables, barrel adjusters, tube, new rim tape....and I have no one I can call for SAG since my wife is is still away. I think I will stick to well traveled (cyclist) roads just in case, I am also carrying a second spare tube and an stick on patch kit.!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Guessing you aren't over 65 yet, lol. I don't commute or it might be different.
    Nope, mid 50's so I'm still a spring chicken.
    "The American people elected Donald Trump as the President of the United States, and not Hillary. I don't think the left is taking this loss as well as they could have"...

Frog Whisperer
    Took off, it was still 47 but they promised 55. I have to say, the meteorologists who use the term "breeze" sure as he!! aren't cyclists. 1/2 was into an 18 to 20 mph "breeze". On the return flight, wait for it......... I had another bleeping flat, front this time. It was a puncture, little piece of wire. Honestly, the roads aren't fit to ride on (or drive for that matter). We need a good torrential rain to wash the roads. The only rain we have had was freezing rain and they piled the salt on to deal with that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    ______

RoadBikeReview Member
    tomorrow does look good...so far. Mach came in like a snow leopard........and went out like a snow leopard!
    It was good down here too.

49deg with 4mph WSW winds when I went out and 57deg with 14mph WSW gusting to 23mph when I got home. What made the ride really good was starting out riding into that 4mph WSW wind which gave me a 14 gusting to 23mph tail or crossing tail wind home. It don't hardly get better than that.

40 miles today. YaHoo!
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Took off, it was still 47 but they promised 55. I have to say, the meteorologists who use the term "breeze" sure as he!! aren't cyclists. 1/2 was into an 18 to 20 mph "breeze". On the return flight, wait for it......... I had another bleeping flat, front this time. It was a puncture, little piece of wire. Honestly, the roads aren't fit to ride on (or drive for that matter). We need a good torrential rain to wash the roads. The only rain we have had was freezing rain and they piled the salt on to deal with that.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...t-free-forever
    Too old to ride plastic

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12