colder than I like
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Frog Whisperer

colder than I like

After being able to ride for a week and a half, almost every day, the temperature nose-dived again and the temperature is hovering right at 32 with a 15 mph "breeze" out of the north. NOT TO MY LIKING! I actually had to start a fire last night to get the house back to 60 or so, I am tired of this.

I would say end of rant, but it probably isn't!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

RoadBikeReview Member
    As long as there isn't a bunch of ice to worry about, I really enjoy riding in temps around freezing. I can make it to work and not be all sweaty. It's really just a matter of dressing properly, it takes some trial and error.
    "The American people elected Donald Trump as the President of the United States, and not Hillary. I don't think the left is taking this loss as well as they could have"...

Frog Whisperer
    I am getting old ....I have trouble staying warm at 40 degrees, also, no thermal mass or fat layer anymore....I just wanna be warm. It makes my wife crazy when I go out for a ride when it is over 90......I love it!

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Im lucky to be 15-20 minutes from a local wooded park with 20 miles of mt. bike trails. Helps when Ive a new hard tail wanting to get used, plus no snow on the ground, and mostly hard pack dirt surfaces, thus anything down to about 15F is perfect.

Frog Whisperer
    I just spent about 40 minutes walking my property line, Better than sitting in the house. Sun is shining again. HOWEVER, on the north side the surface was soft but underneath, there is ice!

What the what???
    40 is usually my cutoff as well. Despite the personal insulation I carry with me everywhere I go, the ride is fairly miserable if the temperature drops below that.
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

Master debator.
    Unless it's fat biking in the snow, trying to ride roads under 32F is quite simply no fun for me. Can't gravel gring currently with all the ice and snow and extremely squishy nature of the shady sides of the hills, but in a week things will be different.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    Unless it's fat biking in the snow, trying to ride roads under 32F is quite simply no fun for me. Can't gravel gring currently with all the ice and snow and extremely squishy nature of the shady sides of the hills, but in a week things will be different.
    That is what I was hoping last week. We really need some rain too if for no other reason than to wash the crap off of the roads.

I was working on my plastic bike yesterday and I was covered with salt in spite of the fact that I use a pump sprayer to rinse it off after rides.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I will happily ride into the high 30's on a sunny day in the fall, when the season will soon be over and riding done. But come spring, it's harder to get out in the low forties knowing that the season is just starting, and warmer weather is right around the corner.

For me ease of dealing with todays weather always depended what the near future promises.
    Too old to ride plastic

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Saturday's high was mid-60 F and then came a sudden drop of 30 in hours with a high of only 35F today and ....its snowing. The issues riding early spring are the automobiles, no matter what temp. They are not use to cyclists as they are during the end of our cycling season. You have salt and sandy roads too to deal with and not too much leeway when vehicles start swerve-texting while drift-driving. Over the past couple years the text-*****s piss me off to no end.

Then there's the matter of suiting up taking 25 minutes to mummify one self, as a stiff, while watching your ride collect all sorts of sodium samples - not to mention the streak on the backside. I still ride month of March but not like in the mid-late 2000's. This is where I'd wish for an indoor or outdoor velodrome track. Simple fix gear, nothing to worry about -coming up on you -and a good sweat with some excellent leg speed early season.

What exactly was the question?

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/temperatur...opstories.html

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    Saturday's high was mid-60 F and then came a sudden drop of 30 in hours with a high of only 35F today and ....its snowing. The issues riding early spring are the automobiles, no matter what temp. They are not use to cyclists as they are during the end of our cycling season. You have salt and sandy roads too to deal with and not too much leeway when vehicles start swerve-texting while drift-driving. Over the past couple years the text-*****s piss me off to no end.

Then there's the matter of suiting up taking 25 minutes to mummify one self, as a stiff, while watching your ride collect all sorts of sodium samples - not to mention the streak on the backside. I still ride month of March but not like in the mid-late 2000's. This is where I'd wish for an indoor or outdoor velodrome track. Simple fix gear, nothing to worry about -coming up on you -and a good sweat with some excellent leg speed early season.

What exactly was the question?

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/temperatur...opstories.html
    Fenders.
    Too old to ride plastic

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Fenders.
    snow flurries this morning. Now, 40 with 35 MPH winds!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    Where are you at? It sounds like my area of the country.
    "The American people elected Donald Trump as the President of the United States, and not Hillary. I don't think the left is taking this loss as well as they could have"...

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Saturday was really nice, then it came to a crashing end on Sunday. It was 31 this morning when I rode to work. After riding a couple mornings in the mid 20's last week, it didn't feel so bad. Commuting is the only way I can rack up 33 miles a day this time of the year. Doesn't seem so bad when it gets split up as an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening. At least the lights aren't needed anymore.

I'll take 95 and humid over this [email protected] any day.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by davesupra View Post
    Where are you at? It sounds like my area of the country.
    South Central WI.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    No snow flurries, but I just got in after 24miles, 48 deg. with 21mph SSW gusting to 34mph. It was Brutal out there.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    It was Brutal out there.
    You wanna know what's Brutal? It's Coke's new Orange Vanilla!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    You wanna know what's Brutal? It's Coke's new Orange Vanilla!
    They told me it was delicious in the commercial.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    They SHOWED you an accident that prolly caused the death of an over confident traffic cop whose body evidently made it into the product.

Sweet Potato Kugel

7" of snow today

Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    They SHOWED you an accident that prolly caused the death of an over confident traffic cop whose body evidently made it into the product.

Non non normal
    23 miles on the fixed gear today. I rode by a dead guy. Had shrimp and grits for dinner. 45 degrees and the wind made my flat ride a hill climb and descent.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

Sweet Potato Kugel

Frog Whisperer
    My wife is out of town, for over a week now, and gone most of this week. My tv has not been on. So, they still have commercials? Drives my wife absolutely crazy, a commercial comes on, when it's over, I look up ask what it was for.

I was a journalism major in school, I KNOW the only reason they put the shows on is to space the commercials. I just shut them out!

Non non normal
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    No, I mean a dead guy laying in his driveway.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    No, I mean a dead guy laying in his driveway.
    Was he hoping to see Jerry Garcia or Bob Weir?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast