Corona Virus Discussion
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Corona Virus Discussion

It's all over the news, so thought I would start a thread about it -

I think it's odd the city where it all started has a lab that studies these viruses - The government is blaming a fish market but I sure don't see how fish are the source, maybe I'm missing something or over simplifying it.

Anyway, looks to be a lot worse than a regular flu from the mortality rate and that the WHO is involved sends a fairly clear message this is a bad actor - the downside potential on the world economy is huge!

Is it all Media Hype? Maybe, maybe not....
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

すし + Sweet Potato Kugel

Bigger Problems

Devoid of all flim-flam
    I've got my fingers crossed, but I have no reason not to believe that the world's medical establishment will be able to control this crisis sooner rather than later.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    meh, the herd's been needing a good thinning for a long, long time...
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Last I saw, about two days ago, mortality rate is slightly less than 5%, about half of Ebola if I remember correctly. Scare factor is very high, though.
    Seems the numbers may be skewed as many doubt China's reported statistics and are not receptive to help from other countries right now.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

Master debator.
    I noticed that the Asians I saw in the airport the past couple of days now wear some pretty fancy masks instead of just plain white ones. Some of them look like those stupid motorcycle bandanas with the skull faces etc.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Frog Whisperer
    Back in 1977 I was living in Atlanta, left and headed for Denver because I refused to live that close to the CDC. I at least wanted a running start!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    I predict more people will die from reading these forums than will die from the Corona virus.

RoadBikeReview Member

RoadBikeReview Member
    None of us are getting out of this alive...

wots...uh the deal?
    Does this Corona come with a wedge of lime? (Did this just jinx myself? But, I had to, it's The Lownge.)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    Last I saw, about two days ago, mortality rate is slightly less than 5%, about half of Ebola if I remember correctly. Scare factor is very high, though.
    Seems the numbers may be skewed as many doubt China's reported statistics and are not receptive to help from other countries right now.
    The average mortality rate for Ebola has been about 50%, but has been as high as 90% in some outbreaks. I think that part of the high rate is due to the outbreaks being in poor, third world countries with limited medical services, as well as a population that doesn't trust medical science. I would be a bit concerned about being on a flight to/from Asia right now

Opus was just napping
    Now a word from Captain Tripps.

All our times have come
    Here but now they're gone
    Seasons don't fear the reaper
    Nor do the wind, the sun or the rain, we can be like they are

Come on baby, don't fear the reaper
    Baby take my hand, don't fear the reaper
    We'll be able to fly, don't fear the reaper
    Baby I'm your man
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    third world countries with limited medical services, as well as a population that doesn't trust medical science.
    We now know for sure, that dis-trust in science is not limited to third world, all the third graders out there in the first world are in the same boat.
    BANNED

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    I suspect corona virus will play out like SARS and the Bird Flu... lots of clickbait headlines, but in reality, not any more deadly than any other flu virus.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    Thing is, conventional influenza, from your very own chart, has a 0.1% to 0.2% death rate. The coronavirus has more like a 2 to 2.5% death rate, aka 10-25x higher.

So, some of the fear is actually warranted. Though not in proportion to the media hype, certainly.
    MH: I want to go like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Sys: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that the children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    It's all over the news, so thought I would start a thread about it -

I think it's odd the city where it all started has a lab that studies these viruses - The government is blaming a fish market but I sure don't see how fish are the source, maybe I'm missing something or over simplifying it.

Anyway, looks to be a lot worse than a regular flu from the mortality rate and that the WHO is involved sends a fairly clear message this is a bad actor - the downside potential on the world economy is huge!

Is it all Media Hype? Maybe, maybe not....
    Until this Corona things get fixed I am switching to Dos Equis

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Hmm.......

Also.. Corona is an anagram of Racoon... Corona virus... Racoon City... you do the math...

すし + Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski View Post

Your URL does not appear on mobile for some reason so, I'll leave this here from your link.

Quote Originally Posted by Coronavirus terrifies us, but another virus has already killed 6,000 in US

Influenza rarely gets the sort of attention that coronavirus has, even though flu has already sickened at least 13 million Americans this winter and killed 6,600 people. In a bad year, the flu kills up to 61,000 Americans.

There’s a deadly virus spreading from state to state. It preys on the most vulnerable, striking the sick and the old without mercy. In just the past few months, it has claimed the lives of at least 39 children.

The virus is influenza, and it poses a far greater threat to Americans than the coronavirus from China that has made headlines around the world.

“When we think about the relative danger of this new coronavirus and influenza, there’s just no comparison,” said Dr. William Schaffner, a professor of preventive medicine and health policy at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville, Tennessee. “Coronavirus will be a blip on the horizon in comparison. The risk is trivial.”

The coronavirus outbreak, which originated last month in the Chinese city of Wuhan, should be taken seriously. The virus can cause pneumonia and is blamed for more than 800 illnesses and 26 deaths. British researchers estimate the virus has infected 4,000 people.

A second person in the U.S. who visited China has been diagnosed with the Wuhan virus, officials from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Friday. Public health workers are monitoring 63 additional patients from 22 states.
    Influenza rarely gets this sort of attention, even though it kills more Americans each year than any other virus, said Dr. Peter Hotez, a professor of pediatrics, molecular virology and microbiology at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston.

Influenza has already sickened at least 13 million Americans this winter, hospitalizing 120,000 and killing 6,600, according to the CDC. And flu season hasn’t even peaked. In a bad year, the flu kills up to 61,000 Americans.

Worldwide, the flu causes up to 5 million cases of severe illness worldwide and kills up to 650,000 people every year, according to the World Health Organization.

And yet, Americans aren’t particularly concerned.

Fewer than half of adults got a flu shot last season, according to the CDC. Even among children, who can be especially vulnerable to respiratory illnesses, only 62% received the vaccine.

If Americans aren’t afraid of the flu, perhaps that’s because they are inured to yearly warnings. For them, the flu is old news. Yet viruses named after foreign places — such as Ebola, Zika and Wuhan — inspire terror.

“Familiarity breeds indifference,” Schaffner said. “Because it’s new, it’s mysterious and comes from an exotic place, the coronavirus creates anxiety.”

Some doctors joke that the flu needs to be rebranded.

“We should rename influenza; call it XZ-47 virus, or something scarier,” said Dr. Paul Offit, director of the Vaccine Education Center at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.

Measles in the Democratic Republic of Congo has killed 5,000 people in the past year — more than twice as many as Ebola.

Yet UNICEF officials have noted that the measles, which many Americans no longer fear, has gotten little attention. Nearly all the measles victims were children under 5.

Some people may worry less about the flu because there’s a vaccine, whose protection has ranged from 19% to 60% in recent years. Simply having the choice about whether to receive a flu shot can give people an illusion of control, Schaffner said.

But people often feel powerless to fight novel viruses. The fact that an airplane passenger spread SARS to other passengers and flight crew made people feel especially vulnerable.

Because the Wuhan virus is new, humans have no antibodies against it. Doctors haven’t had time to develop treatments or vaccines.

The big question, so far unknown, is just how easily the virus is transmitted from an infected person to others. The WHO this week opted not to declare the Wuhan outbreak an international health emergency. But officials warn the outbreak hasn’t peaked. Each patient with the new coronavirus appears to be infecting about two other people.

By comparison, patients with SARS, or Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome, spread the infection to an average of two to four others. Each patient with measles — one of the most contagious viruses known to science — infects 12 to 18 unvaccinated people.

Health officials worry that the new coronavirus could resemble SARS — which appeared suddenly in China in 2002 and spread to 26 countries, sickening 8,000 people and killing 774, according to the WHO.

The U.S. dodged a bullet with SARS, Schaffner said. Only eight Americans became infected, and none died, according to the CDC. Yet SARS caused a global panic, leading people to shutter hotels, cancel flights and close businesses.

Coronaviruses can be unpredictable, said Dr. Michael Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota. While some patients never infect anyone else, people who are “super spreaders” can infect dozens of others.

At Seoul’s Samsung Medical Center in 2015, a single emergency room patient infected 82 people — including patients, visitors and staff — with a coronavirus called MERS, or Middle East Respiratory Syndrome. The hospital partly shut down to control the virus.

“This is one of the finest medical centers in the world, on par with the Cleveland Clinic, and they were brought to their knees,” Osterholm said.

Yet MERS has never posed much a threat to the U.S.

Only two patients in the U.S. — health care providers who had worked in Saudi Arabia — have ever tested positive for the virus, according to the CDC. Both patients survived.

Hotez, who is working to develop vaccines against neglected diseases, said he worries about unvaccinated children. Most kids who die from the flu haven’t been immunized against it, he said. And many were previously healthy.

“If you’re worried about your health, get your flu vaccination,” Hotez said. “It’s not too late.”

Kaiser Health News is a nonprofit news service. It is an editorially independent program of the Kaiser Family Foundation that is not affiliated with Kaiser Permanente.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    Hmm.......

Also.. Corona is an anagram of Racoon... Corona virus... Racoon City... you do the math...

Hmm. I’ll be in my bunker.
    MH: I want to go like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Sys: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that the children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

すし + Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    Hmm.......

Also.. Corona is an anagram of Racoon

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ljvb again.

https://imgur.com/oN0wOZU

Darling of The Lounge
    The last I heard is that is hasn't mutated.

If it does, all bets are off.

すし + Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post

Last edited by Eretz; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:53 AM.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    My wife and son and I still refer to bottled water sold in cases at the store as Chicken Water...

... from back when the Bird Flu was, according to all the ghastly clickbait stories, going to cause the water infrastructure in the USA to shut down (for some reason). So like all sufficiently frightened citizens, we bought plenty of Chicken Water, just in case.

Also, I think I still have some SARS masks stashed somewhere too.

I'm going to hold off on panicking about corona virus until people in my town start dropping like flies.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post

Speaking of bets, what's the Vegas line on it mutating? Any action there?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast