COVID-19 and Dangerous Driving
    RoadBikeReview Member

COVID-19 and Dangerous Driving

Was watching Live PD and many areas are seeing insane street racing and very dangerous driving as the roads are more open. S+it was scary to watch. Im in Southeast Virginia and have noticed more people driving aggressively and its worrisome. It sucks as to ride your bike now it seems is another danger in addition to the COVID-19. Stay safe folks.

What the what???
    A general consensus that:

1.) There are fewer motorists on the road... and
    2.) Police are reticent to pull over speeders for fear of contracting the virus... equals

A huge increase here in the number of people ticketed for doing 100+ on the highway. A$$holes think it's the Autobahn...
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

I was "social distancing" before it was cool.

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    It's seems like it's calmed down around here, but the first week or two of the quar, I'd see at least one person blowing a stop sign or red light every time I went out.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

RoadBikeReview Member
    have never felt safer while riding...

drivers here are being downright polite.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    Was watching Live PD and many areas are seeing insane street racing and very dangerous driving as the roads are more open. S+it was scary to watch. Im in Southeast Virginia and have noticed more people driving aggressively and its worrisome. It sucks as to ride your bike now it seems is another danger in addition to the COVID-19. Stay safe folks.
    I have not noticed any increase in unsafe driving here. I am happy that there is less traffic. Of course that does not guarantee my safety. Today the Governor is opening up parks so there may be an increase in traffic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2018
    Kansas City has seen an uptick in speeding violations. Anecdotally, I've noticed people are driving more erratically, which I attribute to the lockdown putting everyone on edge. Ours began 24MAR and won't end until 15MAY, so it's longer than most areas of the state.

Last week a guy in a Civic grazed me with his wing mirror and flipped me off afterwards. I hope he still has a job during this quarantine, because he'll need a way to pay the $100 ticket.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I wouldn't ride on that road.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    "many reports of motorists speeding on roads that are seeing less traffic than usual."
    https://autos.yahoo.com/motorcyclist...133100761.html

Lately, I've been seeing cars running through red light more than ever.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    That moto guy didn't look like he was speeding, maybe he was distracted, on the phone? I'll show you speeding on a moto if your interested.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Traffic here (suburbs of NYC) is definitely way down, though Sunday had as much traffic as I've seen in a month.

Most people seem to actually be driving more slowly. However, there is the occasional driver blasting down the road at warp speed - because he can, with fewer drivers around.

Street racing isn't really a problem here, wonder what it's like in Queens (the local capital of street racing).

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I've noticed, anecdotally, the exact opposite. Drivers have extra polite around here.

I can sort of understand how the frustration of typical Mass traffic would cause someone to be a jerk. That cause is gone for now.

Despite my State's well earned reputation for having a lot of rude people, drivers have been pretty decent over the last few years. But you'd always get that 1 in 10 who was a total a hole. I've put in a lot of spring miles and so far it's been 0 in 10 and I've noticed a lot of people being extra polite (as opposed to just ordinary safe driving but not going out of their way for bikes)

RoadBikeReview Member
    The roads were quiet for a few weeks here. Then the Gov opened up the State Parks two weeks ago and the masses have descended upon us.

This is a picture nearly a mile away from the entrance to a reservoir, a road that I ride all the time. It's literally the middle of nowhere. During the week I will see 6-8 cars on a the 35 mile ride. Last Saturday this happened, of the seven plates that are visible, only one is a Utah plate. The rest are Nevada and California. I stopped counting cars passing me at 62, 50% of the drivers were considerate.

Attachment 327713